here's some shit
The Popular Front, along with the National Coordination Committee (NCC), whose delegation visited Moscow last week, represents Syria’s internal opposition, as opposed to the Istanbul-based Syrian National Council (SNC).
While the SNC has called for foreign military intervention in Syria, the two other groups have been strongly opposed to it, insisting that the conflict has to be resolved without any outside interference.
When asked whether the Popular Front was ready to cooperate with other Syrian opposition groups, Jamil said his group had “one condition” for those willing to begin dialogue: they should agree that outside intervention is “unacceptable.”
“If the Syrian National Council accepts this, then we can talk to them – but not before,” he said.
SNC member Bassam Al-Imadi told RIA Novosti “we are ready to cooperate with everybody, this is not the question; the question is whether this cooperation is going to bring fruit.”
Both al-Imadi and NCC spokesman Abdul Aziz al-Khayr said the Popular Front was in fact very close to the Syrian regime, despite calling themselves an opposition group.
“After all these massacres and killing by the regime, it’s not easy to accept it will go on ruling Syria,” al-Imadi said. “If this opposition moves in the same path as us, we are ok to cooperate with them. But we feel that many of them are only aspiring to get some position within this regime.”
Al-Khayr said, however, that since both the NCC and the Popular Front wanted to “see a democratic regime in Syria,” and since both “reject foreign intervention and the militarization of the uprising,” they could find common ground. Jamil also said his group had “no problems” with the NCC, and that real dialogue between the two internal opposition bodies was only hampered by “technical matters.”
As for the Istanbul-based SNC, Al-Khayr said it was “not united in its political agenda.”
“The SNC consists of too many groups, and each of them is not really in true coordination with the other,” he said. “Some of them depend mostly on Turkey, others on the Gulf States, while a third part depends on France and other Western countries. So it’s not easy to deal with the SNC as a united group.”
Forces unable to destabilize Syria turn to Lebanon - ministry
MOSCOW: Forces which have failed to implement their plans to destabilize Syria have turned to Lebanon, which is trying to prevent foreign intervention in Syria, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
"Moscow is seriously concerned by growing internal tensions in Lebanon. It appears that the forces that have failed to realize their plans to destabilize Syria have turned to the neighboring Lebanon," the ministry said on its website on Monday.
"They clearly dislike this country's government course aimed at preventing foreign intervention in Syrian affairs and facilitating a swift peaceful settlement in Syria on the basis of Kofi Annan's plan approved by the United Nations Security Council, the actions of military and security agencies opposing the attempts at arms smuggling and militant trafficking, " the ministry said.
To attain their goals these forces are trying to stoke tensions among various Lebanese political and sectarian forces, the Ministry said.
"For our part, we are calling on Lebanese politicians to show restraint and high patriotic responsibility at this difficult moment for the country and the region. The Lebanese must not follow the lead of those who would like to sow new seeds of sectarian discord and confusion on their land. We hope that the Lebanese government and Lebanese enforcement agencies, acting strictly within the law, shall take whatever steps necessary to restore calm in the country and preserve civil peace and unity," the statement said.
An incident at an army base in the Akkar District on May 20 killed the Sunni religious leader Sheikh Abdelwahed and his aide and injured a soldier, the foreign ministry said. The circumstances of this tragic incident are being investigated by the Lebanese authorities.
The incident prompted a strong reaction in the form of riots and road blocks in a number of Sunni-populated areas. In Western Beirut, skirmishes between supporters of the Al-Mustaqbal Movement and the At-Tatyyar Al-Arabi Party continued through the night. Two were reportedly killed and 18 injured.
There was gunfire at Sheikh Ahmed Abdul-Wahid's funeral in northern Lebanon yesterday, a promise from the Lebanese army that they will investigate his killing – by a soldier – on Sunday, and a heap of appeals for calm from both the military and the government.
But, and here's the worrying factor, not a single Lebanese flag was held aloft at the Sunni Muslim Sheikh's graveside. Banners of the largely Sunni March 14th movement that opposes Syria, there were aplenty. And many flags of the old Syrian nation – green-white-and-black – the symbol that now identifies all opposition to President Bashar al-Assad. But Lebanon had somehow got lost.
Now, Turkey is fabricating stories involving Syrian troops "firing across" the Turkish-Syrian border. The New York Times published these bold accusations before admitting further down that "it was unclear what kind of weapons caused the injuries on Sunday around six miles inside Turkish territory," and that "there were conflicting accounts about the incident." As are all the accusations used by NATO, the UN, and individual member states to justify meddling in Syria's affairs, these tales involve hear-say from the rebels themselves.
It is clear that Turkey, NATO, and the UN are attempting to set the pretext for the establishment of "safe havens" and "humanitarian corridors" intended to circumvent the UN Security Council which has seen attempts to green-light military intervention vetoed twice by Russia and China. As the UN "peace deal" deadline of April 10 comes and goes, we can expect an ever increasing din of propaganda purporting Syrian violations against Turkish sovereignty, the continued propaganda campaign accentuating the "victimization" of NATO's death squads, and the public roll-out of Brookings' Turkish established "safe haven" within Syrian territory.
Syria is allowing Kurdish rebels who are fighting Turkish forces to establish bases in Syrian territory, as ties between the two neighboring countries deteriorate, a Turkish minister said Wednesday.
Interior Minister Idris Naim Sahin said Turkish intelligence indicates that Syria is allowing rebels to establish themselves in areas close to the Turkish border.
Some Kurdistan Workers' Party rebels have even taken charge of running small Syrian towns, Sahin claimed, describing the development as an apparent act of revenge against Turkey.
Now it is fully admitted that weapons, cash, and logistical support is indeed being provided to terrorist forces in Syria by the United States, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and other Gulf States. This, despite a current UN ceasefire the West has continuously berated the Syrian government for violating, indicates that indeed reorganizing, rearming, and redeploying NATO's terrorist proxies is complete, and another round of destructive violence has begun.
In the Washington Post's article, "Syrian rebels get influx of arms with gulf neighbors’ money, U.S. coordination," not only is this admitted, but claims made by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad have been confirmed that Syria's historically violent Muslim Brotherhood, stated in 2007 by Seymour Hersh as being a direct proxy of US-Saudi-Israeli funding and support, is also directly arming and funding contingents of extremists committing acts of terror across Syria.
Areas across Syria that have until now been portrayed as centers for "pro-democracy" protests, racked by violence depicted as "repression" by Syrian troops, are now admitted by the Washington Post to be areas where "material is being stockpiled." This includes the flashpoint city of Idlib on the Turkish-Syrian border, in the suburbs of Damascus, and along Syria's border with Lebanon. And again, in 2007, Seymour Hersh revealed that the US, Israel, and Saudi Arabia had planned to array extremists along Syria's border to commit the very violence now being admitted by the Post today.
The Washington Post openly admits that these weapons, supplies, cash and support, provided by the US and Saudi Arabia are directly responsible for the increased violence in Syria, in the midst of a ceasefire the West has attempted to disingenuously use to defame the Syrian government, hamper its ability to restore order, and indeed, rearm, reorganize, and redeploy their terrorist proxies to begin another attempt at violent foreign-backed regime change:
Syria suffered its worst terror attack in decades this month when two car bombs exploded near a military intelligence branch in Damascus, killing 55 people and wounding hundreds more. Syria's state-run news agency was quick to publish gruesome pictures of the victims of the attack, which President Bashar al-Assad's regime pinned on "foreign-backed terrorist groups."
At first, the Syrian regime seemed to have evidence to back up its case. On May 12, a video was distributed on YouTube, purportedly from a Palestinian branch of the jihadist group Jabhat al-Nusrah ("The Victory Front" or JN), claiming credit for the attack. But the release turned out to be a fake: On May 14, JN released a statement denying that it was behind the video. At the same time, it did not deny conducting the attack. Rather, JN's media outlet said it had yet to hear from JN's military commanders if they perpetrated the bombings.
Whether or not JN was involved in the Damascus attack, the organization has become a real force in recent weeks -- and one that threatens to undermine the Free Syrian Army (FSA), the loose network of defectors and local militia fighting the government. Its main goals are to awaken Muslims to the atrocities of the Assad regime, and eventually take control of the state and implement its narrow and puritanical interpretation of Islamic law. To that end, in the past month alone, JN has perpetrated a series of suicide bombings and IED strikes -- and the pace of attacks seems to be growing.
According to the National Employment Market Observatory, 90,000 employees with social insurance registration – and an undetermined but far greater number of unregistered workers – have lost their jobs as a result of the economic downturn in Syria and the closure of privately-owned businesses and factories.
While emigration is not a new option for Syrian youth, this year it is increasingly becoming the most viable option for some.
Ahmad, who graduated from law school last year, said, “Emigration was not part of my future plans. On the contrary, in conversations with other young people I used to urge them not to leave the country. But regrettably, I am now thinking of it myself.”
“It’s not just for economic reasons,” he explains. “I no longer feel safe after the bombings in Damascus. The victims were people who had nothing to do with the whole crisis. It has left me constantly feeling that I could become a victim of the bombings too, or the kidnappings on the roads.”
However, it has become a lot harder to leave the country, as most of the desired destination countries have closed down their embassies in Syria. Many people are travelling to Lebanon to apply for visas at foreign embassies there. But they encounter difficulties as soon as they are identified as Syrian.