yeah that's an ongoing trend. it's happening everywhere. Japan made an agreement with China recently to settle payments in Yuan rather than dollars
so i clicked over to the business subheading of google news to check out the latest stories, and im sure i made some sort of funny expression when i saw the bolded portion of this article visible as the preview excerpt

The Associated Press January 13, 2012, 9:35AM ET
JPMorgan's profit falls 23 percent in 4Q
By PALLAVI GOGOI
NEW YORK

In a sign that banks will continue to be punished for past mistakes, JPMorgan Chase set aside a large sum to fight lawsuits related to poorly-written mortgages during the real estate boom.

The reserves hurt the bank's income, which fell 23 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011. The New York bank reported Friday that its income also took a hit because of turbulence in financial markets, which took a bite out of its investment banking fees, and an accounting charge. However, its customers were in better shape and more of them paid their credit card bills on time and took out more loans.

The largest bank in the nation earned $3.7 billion, or 90 cents per share, in the final three months of last year. That's down from $4.8 billion, or $1.12 per share, in the same period a year earlier. Revenue fell 17 percent to $22.2 billion.

The bank set aside $528 million for additional litigation costs in the quarter. The amount comes on top of $1.5 billion it set aside to fight litigation last year. This doesn't bode well for competitors like Bank of America Corp., which has been damaged far more than JPMorgan from lawsuits related mortgages.

JPMorgan's stock fell 4 percent to $35.28 in early trading.

JPMorgan Chase & Co. was the first major U.S. bank to report earnings. Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp. and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. report next week.

With 50 million customers, JPMorgan's results provide insight on how the U.S. economy is performing. Among the takeaways from the bank's earnings report:

-- American households seem to be more stable financially. More of JPMorgan's credit card customers paid their bills on time, leading to lower losses for the bank. JPMorgan was able to book a profit of $730 million by reducing the reserves it had set aside for credit card defaults.

-- JP Morgan's corporate customers took on more loans, up 12 percent to $110 billion. That suggests business owners are feeling more confident that demand for their products is picking up. The loans could be used to build new factories, expand plants or open new warehouses. Often that translates to new jobs being created.

"There are signs that last year's mild recovery might be strengthening now, and it is broad-based," said Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase, at a conference call with journalists.

However, volatility in stock and bond markets caused by Europe's debt crisis hurt JPMorgan's investment banking business as companies stayed out of markets. Fees declined 39 percent to $1.1 billion. Fees from underwriting debt issues fell 40 percent, and stocks fell 65 percent.

JPMorgan also had to book a loss of $567 million loss from an accounting rule that applies to the value of its own corporate debt. Because the value of its debt rose in the fourth quarter, the bank would theoretically have to pay more to buy it back in the open market. When that happens, accounting rules require that the bank record a charge against earnings. Corporate bond prices recovered in the fourth quarter after declining sharply in the third quarter.

For the full year, JPMorgan Chase & Co. posted record net income of $19 billion, compared with $17.4 billion in the prior year.

lets unpack that first sentence some, shall we?

"In a sign that banks will continue to be punished for past mistakes, JPMorgan Chase set aside a large sum to fight lawsuits related to poorly-written mortgages during the real estate boom."

first we are signaled that this act should be taken as a component "in a sign". what relation, if any, the act has in and of itself to the signified is merely a matter of curiosity for historical linguistics and not a matter of importance to activists or politicians. this sign, and this act, will, we are told, be somehow dealing with "banks".

next we discover that the act is part of a chain of acts, and its occurrence is to be taken as a demonstration that this chain "will continue" now, for the time being, and, why not?, off into the horizon of the future. this chain, perhaps a key to the signified of our sign, will be interpreted differently by different political subjects, and their reaction to its presence into the future is sure to vary enormously.

but what is this chain? what series of acts are we to align this latest act with? what "banks" "will continue" is "to be punished". sometimes it seems like all people have been doing for the past four years is punishing the banks. countless op-eds, protests, understandable (but misguided given the current state of economic emergency) calls for regulation or investigation.

its been going on for so long that i have trouble even remembering why people are so focused on something like punishing banks. fortunately the sentence anticipates this and helpfully reminds me: the banks have been, are, and will be being punished for "past mistakes". mistakes in the deep past have a way of sticking around, causing problems long after the lessons have been learned and behaviors have been changed. the chains of punishment, noisily dragged around by the ghost of recessions passed. let's not dwell in such a haunted place, and instead move on to the rest of the sentence.

"JPMorgan Chase", ah, here we go, concrete footing in the present. its true that the sentence started out talking about "banks" generically, but "JPMorgan Chase" shall signify banks in general. certainly a permissible use of language, and in any event one sanctified by reality, as each of them were several, so there was already quite a crowd.

and what is the latest punishment brought to bear upon JPMorgan Chase, that is, banks generally? they now find it necessary to "set aside a large sum". a harsh punishment indeed for banks, whose livelihood depends upon throwing large sums into circulation, helping entrepreneurs to create jobs and continue the economic recovery.

but why do they find this necessary, what earmark must claim such a large sum set aside? the sum must be made available "to fight lawsuits", the cash cow of Big Lawyer, leading cause of the increasing cost of just about everything.

what frivolous matter are the litigious masses using to live beyond their means this time? i don't think it'd still be hot coffee, not in this story anyway, not with JPMorgan Chase the target, unless there's some major overlap in boards of directors. no, it turns out the lawsuits are "related to poorly-written mortgages during the real estate boom". and so there we have the crux of the matter. people want free houses, houses which they never could really afford, bought with debt they can't pay back. perhaps this debt is in the form of mortgages which a lawyer thinks are "poorly-written", but legal documents and requirements are a tricky thing, always shifting based on some new government regulation. today's standard business practices are deemed "poorly-written" by tomorrow's demagogue. "during the real estate boom", an event of boundless prosperity, everyone wanted a mortgage, and the market had to get creative to ensure the spontaneous demand found the supply it needed. whose moral culpability is greater, the banks who did what society asked and loaned their money to would-be homeowners? or the deadbeats who, having discovered their get-rich-quick scheme will no longer work, try to rope the banks into retroactive complicity through a few uncrossed Ts and undotted Is when the simple fact remains that they should never have tried to live such a lifestyle in the first place? haven't the banks suffered enough?

i was just reading a good Harper's article on exactly that.

As we drove toward Ramona, Trotter told me that the “true horror” of MERS was what it could do to homeowners who were current on their mortgage payments—the “good” homeowners who still had a job and who weren’t facing foreclosure. If there was no legal record of which bank owned their debt, and the MERS-mortgaged homeowner nonetheless had been making payments, then who exactly was the homeowner paying? The checks, clearly, were going out each month, cashed by a bank that claimed to own the note. But without the legal record to certify the ownership of the note, it followed that the bank could not legally issue the homeowner a clear title to the home. In effect, a homeowner with MERS on his mortgage could spend thirty years paying a lender that wasn’t the owner of the note. After those thirty years, said Trotter, when the note was paid off, the homeowner would come to an awful discovery: without a clear title issued to stipulate that the home had no claim of debt against it, the homeowner could assert ownership of exactly nothing. “Because you’d always be looking over your shoulder,” said Trotter. “Some other lender could come and say, ‘No, we owned that note. You paid the wrong guy.’ ” When this realization came to him, Trotter was alone in front of his computer—the house was dark; his daughter was asleep—but he said he nearly screamed. “With MERS,” he said, “nobody owns anything. You’re only paying rent.”

i made a thread joking about this not that long ago. capitalism itself has abolished property rights lmao.

You couldn’t sell real estate without a clear title, explained Trotter. Title-insurance companies will not insure the sale of a house when the title’s status is unclear, and without title insurance, there can be no home sales. “It means that the mainstay of our economy, real estate, is no longer viable.” He pointed out the window at the houses in the San Diego hills and spoke about the Peruvian economist Hernando de Soto. “De Soto says that free enterprise fails in third-world countries because they have no reliable real-property recording system. No one knows who owns what. What do the Israelis do when they take over parts of Palestine? They destroy property records. And the bureaucrats can tell you, ‘I’m sorry, sir, but there’s no record of that.'"

i made jokes about that like a couple years ago--like that exact same obscure Peruvian economist--but this guy is SERIOUS. and then this is just beautiful:

I asked Campbell if he didn’t see a problem in taking cash from homeowners who were already financially distressed. He spun around to face me. “Do you blame us for wanting to make a product and charge a little something from the homeowner and maybe even help them? We have to survive! And maybe we can do it without hurting anyone.” By this point he was yelling so loudly I was worried he would wake the others. After a pause, he continued in a quieter voice. “Because capitalism, you know, is about hurting people,” he said. “It wasn’t capitalism that built this country, it was entrepreneurialism—you made a product and people needed it and it helped them, it made their lives better. The true definition of capitalism is those who seek success by the demise of others. True capitalism is the destruction of your competitor. We’re entrepreneurs.”

He clicked on a link on the NHC website that led to a clip from his favorite film, Network. “You know Network? Prophetic.” On the screen was the figure of the crazed evangelizing newscaster Howard Beale, in his famous freakout scene—Beale in a soaking-wet raincoat over his pajamas. “We’ll start the Mad As Hell Seminars with this,” said Campbell.

it's like reality has started jacking content from LF threads without attribution

e: in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Keane raised a glass of red wine. “So thank you, motherfucking banks. You now have Walt Keane as a crotch-cricket on your ballsack, and I have sunk my fangs. I am the Darwinistic response. The banks have scattered all these corpses across the land—real estate properties where chain of title is broken, where there’s no fucking record—and natural selection has selected Walter the fucking lunatic to clean them up and adapt to this new environment.”

“That’s right,” said Harvey, whose voice was an order of magnitude quieter than Keane’s. “It’s time to adapt. What we’re doing, what Walt is doing, is only forcing the banks to obey the law. Why should they be able to disregard centuries of land-titling statutes? Awareness is the first step of adaptation. How is this country going to evolve if people don’t even know what’s going on?”

I asked Harvey how much he’d paid Keane in attorney’s fees to get his house free and clear. “Thirteen thousand dollars,” Keane answered for him. “I wrapped that cash around my cock and danced around the room. It was the easiest fucking money I’ve ever made. I got into this MERS game because I’m a capitalist and I wanted to make money. There’s nothing altruistic here.” When he finished his steak, though, he did pay for everyone's dinner.

Edited by dm ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Yo dm, do you have anything cool on "Methodological Individualism"? I was thinking about making some sort of cool thread about that but I need to like, plot out my points (there's a lottavem)

not so much on methodological individualism as such but there's the representative agent w/ economics that i have a lot of fun with. i used to compare it to ventriloquy but then this one quote from Wittgenstein struck me:

Contradiction. Why just this one bogy? That is surely very suspicious.

Why should not a calculation made for a practical purpose, with a contradictory result, tell me: "Do as you please, I, the calculation, do not decide the matter"?

The contradiction might be conceived as a hint from the gods that I am to act and not consider.

and i realized that there are a lot of concepts from psychology that apply (e.g. displacement). so idk, i might be able to come up with some stuff depending on the context

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
articles

thanks, i'll check them out. your paper owns btw

discipline posted:
Do you wanna like, collaborate

yeah, sure.

discipline posted:
I got my paper back on financialization as discipline and it was a good grade! I'm proud. If anyone wants to read it let me know and I'll send you a copy

this was cool and i liked it. one thing i'm a little unsure of is the meaning of the term "discipline". you refer to foucault, but it's unclear to me in what respect the financial system can be described as a foucaultian disciplinary mechanism. i agree that it certainly creates conditions which favour the access of capital to a compliant workforce etc but it doesn't seem to me like finance is a panoptic mechanism at all, if anything it discards the vast majority of the information it has access to in favour of synoptic statistics (ie GDP) which justify its activities. i agree with the general thrust of the paper but i'm not really sure how the discipline aspect fits into it exactly

[account deactivated]
i dunno, was that in there? i dunno wat SAP is
its me isnt it. im the sap
structural adjustment policy (program?)

dm posted:
oh, ok. basically it comes down to quantification and scheduling. that is how money most likely developed: along with the establishment of other weights and measures. it will probably strike you as obvious that the development of agriculture required planning seasonally (at least now that i said it anyways). in this context, time is cyclical rather than linear (calenders) and it's probably not a coincidence that festivals and holidays often appear at roughly corresponding times across cultures (including the "new year"). this allows for what has been called "time discipline"

ultimately, you have to have some sort of forward planning and the crucial question is the way it's done. as for the present, something like time banking is just a matter of making the units "incommensurable" and hence the activities connected with them. i've sort of wondered about whether or not it might be possible to toy with "temporal organization" along with organization by geography and communication because it could work across distance and would be really hard to detect* without understanding how it works. you could put disparate groups/communities on a separate schedule so that they're organized together, but also have a degree of administrative autonomy from the "capitalist" one. idk, it's just idle speculation

this isn't as insane as it might sound btw: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/science/to-keep-or-kill-lowly-leap-second-focus-of-world-debate.htm

lmao

LONDON — Hedge funds have been known to use hardball tactics to make money. Now they have come up with a new one: suing Greece in a human rights court to make good on its bond payments.

The novel approach would have the funds arguing in the European Court of Human Rights that Greece had violated bondholder rights, though that could be a multiyear project with no guarantee of a payoff. And it would not be likely to produce sympathy for these funds, which many blame for the lack of progress so far in the negotiations over restructuring Greece’s debts.

The tactic has emerged in conversations with lawyers and hedge funds as it became clear that Greece was considering passing legislation to force all private bondholders to take losses, while exempting the European Central Bank, which is the largest institutional holder of Greek bonds with 50 billion euros or so.

Legal experts suggest that the investors may have a case because if Greece changes the terms of its bonds so that investors receive less than they are owed, that could be viewed as a property rights violation — and in Europe, property rights are human rights.

rights talk
Commies Rule -the goat

MOD NOTE: Wow! Glad to hear you have finally been rehabilitated. Congrats to you and yours, good luck with baby Skrillex

Edited by Crow ()

dm posted:
lmao

LONDON — Hedge funds have been known to use hardball tactics to make money. Now they have come up with a new one: suing Greece in a human rights court to make good on its bond payments.

The novel approach would have the funds arguing in the European Court of Human Rights that Greece had violated bondholder rights, though that could be a multiyear project with no guarantee of a payoff. And it would not be likely to produce sympathy for these funds, which many blame for the lack of progress so far in the negotiations over restructuring Greece’s debts.

The tactic has emerged in conversations with lawyers and hedge funds as it became clear that Greece was considering passing legislation to force all private bondholders to take losses, while exempting the European Central Bank, which is the largest institutional holder of Greek bonds with 50 billion euros or so.

Legal experts suggest that the investors may have a case because if Greece changes the terms of its bonds so that investors receive less than they are owed, that could be viewed as a property rights violation — and in Europe, property rights are human rights.

property rights are human rights

human rights are property rights

human(s) rights are property rights

lol
everything is lies
including that post (and this one)
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all

Modernization has always caused some kinds of jobs to change or disappear. As the American economy transitioned from agriculture to manufacturing and then to other industries, farmers became steelworkers, and then salesmen and middle managers. These shifts have carried many economic benefits, and in general, with each progression, even unskilled workers received better wages and greater chances at upward mobility.

lol, thanks for that lucid explanation nyt

the arc of the economic universe is long, but it bends towards everything getting better for everyone all the time
thinkin' about going to this shindig tomorrow: http://www.citylights.com/bookstore/?fa=event&event_id=1399

anyone got burning questions for the graeb man?
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:
thinkin' about going to this shindig tomorrow: http://www.citylights.com/bookstore/?fa=event&event_id=1399

anyone got burning questions for the graeb man?

if no one else does ask him how he feels about the petering out of the occupy movement in the west

ask him if little davey graeber is smarter than obama then why is he teaching englishmen while obama is a kickass president
[account deactivated]
ask him if he appreciates if i water down his theories, miss the big points, and essentially co-opt his movement in order to direct it towards mild social-democracy
the word on the street is that occupy is gonna explode again come may 1st and such.

maybe earlier if al gore gets his way!
ask him why he insists on remaining in disbelief after giving islamic history the vigorous tugjob that he did in his most recent book

babyfinland posted:
ask him why he insists on remaining in disbelief after giving islamic history the vigorous tugjob that he did in his most recent book

a religious anthropologist is like a flat-earth astronomer

so i went and graeber said that the ideology of free trade originated in medieval sharia islam. IS THIS TRUE BABYFINLAND?

aerdil posted:
so i went and graeber said that the ideology of free trade originated in medieval sharia islam. IS THIS TRUE BABYFINLAND?

yes

well shit because after he said it i waded through the crowd and roared into his pipsqueak anarchist face RHIZZONE DOT NET BITCH then i clocked him and he fell back about 10 feet onto a bookcase and knocked down a bunch of shitty beat poetry and i might remind you i just beat him in a physical sense and then as i stood over his pathetically groveling and writhing body i bent down and whispered into his ear "that was for baby finland" then i got up and as i left everyone in the bookstore stood and clapped
here's the chapter on islam from the book http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/347/?page=1#post-4190

shennong posted:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all

Modernization has always caused some kinds of jobs to change or disappear. As the American economy transitioned from agriculture to manufacturing and then to other industries, farmers became steelworkers, and then salesmen and middle managers. These shifts have carried many economic benefits, and in general, with each progression, even unskilled workers received better wages and greater chances at upward mobility.

lol, thanks for that lucid explanation nyt

"The real appropriation through the labour process happens under these presuppositions, which are not themselves the product of labour, but appear as its natural or divine presuppositions." -K. M.

babyfinland posted:
here's the chapter on islam from the book http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/347/?page=1#post-4190

he doesn't cite him, but Ibn Khaldun has (again) drawn the interest of economic historians

thomas friedman is amazing

Davidson’s article is one of a number of pieces that have recently appeared making the point that the reason we have such stubbornly high unemployment and sagging middle-class incomes today is largely because of the big drop in demand because of the Great Recession, but it is also because of the quantum advances in both globalization and the information technology revolution, which are more rapidly than ever replacing labor with machines or foreign workers.

In the past, workers with average skills, doing an average job, could earn an average lifestyle. But, today, average is officially over. Being average just won’t earn you what it used to. It can’t when so many more employers have so much more access to so much more above average cheap foreign labor, cheap robotics, cheap software, cheap automation and cheap genius. Therefore, everyone needs to find their extra — their unique value contribution that makes them stand out in whatever is their field of employment. Average is over.

What the iPad won’t do in an above average way a Chinese worker will. Consider this paragraph from Sunday’s terrific article in The Times by Charles Duhigg and Keith Bradsher about why Apple does so much of its manufacturing in China: “Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly-line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight. A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day. ‘The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,’ the executive said. ‘There’s no American plant that can match that.’ ”

There will always be change — new jobs, new products, new services. But the one thing we know for sure is that with each advance in globalization and the I.T. revolution, the best jobs will require workers to have more and better education to make themselves above average. Here are the latest unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for Americans over 25 years old: those with less than a high school degree, 13.8 percent; those with a high school degree and no college, 8.7 percent; those with some college or associate degree, 7.7 percent; and those with bachelor’s degree or higher, 4.1 percent.

In a world where average is officially over, there are many things we need to do to buttress employment, but nothing would be more important than passing some kind of G.I. Bill for the 21st century that ensures that every American has access to post-high school education.

zizek has a point wrt the general intellect

i just realized david graeber was slightly late to that talk because he was having a massive flame war on twitter...