[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
its becoming more and more clear to me as i get older that there's something fundamentally impossible about a species that evolved through an inextricably antagonistic model to become anything really decent, and that there's a line drawn somewhere on the evolution chart where any planet's dominant species develops the capacity to destroy itself but does not yet possess the wisdom to keep from doing it and i can't imagine a scenario where any flesh and blood thing actually passes that line and becomes something greater than the sum of its barbaric asshole parts

tell us more profound life lessons you learned from watching the matrix

discipline posted:
they raped him too and put it on the internet

link

it can make you feel better or worse to know that the chance of nuclear war actually exterminating the species is very low given the large numbers of people who would either enter bunkers or live in countries taking no direct hits. nuclear winter would only last a few weeks as well

Goethestein posted:
it can make you feel better or worse to know that the chance of nuclear war actually exterminating the species is very low given the large numbers of people who would either enter bunkers or live in countries taking no direct hits. nuclear winter would only last a few weeks as well

dont rob me of my last truly peaceful image of a glassy-surfaced earth floating in the cosmos

[account deactivated]
Food for thought :Bachmann: Gaddafi 'May Be' Still in Power If I Were President
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=118032341639483

discipline posted:
geneva convention? fffffffehh... *puts me cigarette out on it!*

pretty much yeah? international law is as groundless as morality but doesnt even have any sense of the metaphysical. its an invention of imperialist powers mired in false objectivity & literally nobody keeps to it, whats the point, if we're to condemn the barbarity of nations it should be in better terms than the lukewarm liberalism of the geneva convention

noavbazzer posted:
dont rob me of my last truly peaceful image of a glassy-surfaced earth floating in the cosmos

misanthropy is for teenagers

the world needs another war. a big war. a proper war. no more kindles. no more my little pony: the power of friendship. we can be men again. class war preferred but not essential

deadken posted:
noavbazzer posted:

misanthropy is for teenagers

Then I will be seventeen forever

Just like the one-winged dove...
Forever 21...
teenagers should not be allowed to read books imo. they should watch tv and contract vd until their brains harden

deadken posted:

discipline posted:
geneva convention? fffffffehh... *puts me cigarette out on it!*

pretty much yeah? international law is as groundless as morality but doesnt even have any sense of the metaphysical. its an invention of imperialist powers mired in false objectivity & literally nobody keeps to it, whats the point, if we're to condemn the barbarity of nations it should be in better terms than the lukewarm liberalism of the geneva convention

ya

misanthropy is a really misleading and unfair word. it's a truth-claim about the world based on a large amount of the available evidence. you might as call the heliocentric model "geophobia"

deadken posted:

teenagers should not be allowed to read books imo. they should watch tv and contract vd until their brains harden

[account deactivated]
goatstein, atheist & rationalist, declares moral judgement to be a 'truth-claim.' millions faint in unrelated event
[account deactivated]
It's not really a moral judgment to point out that on the whole homo sapiens has proven to be insane, cruel and barely sapient
yes it is goatstein
homo sapiens has proven to be insane, cruel and barely sapient, and "i'm lovin' it"
Stating that insanity, cruelty or nonsapience are bad things would be a moral assessment. it's similar to the difference between pointing out that a rattlesnake is a poisonous predator who painfully kills small furry animals, and using that to say the snake is bad. it is what it is
to argue cruelty is intrinsically a moral determination
nah it merely means indifference to suffering. the snake is indifferent to the mouse's suffering: the snake is cruel. the snake is not bad
The thing that's always dumbfounded me about human beings is the sheer range of ability - intellectually, physically, and in specific crafts. We have people that are 400 pounds of lard of their own doing and incapable of the most menial tasks for maintaining society - all the way up to athletes capable of covering fifty miles without rest and intellectual behemoths who are fluent in five or more languages, and craft work so precise that it appears as magic to the unskilled. There is no biological limitation preventing these two extremes from occurring in even within same human life. What other species approaches that incredible choice and diversity?
ok, if thats what you meant. cruelty usually implies sadism. i guess you could define that in a amoral way too though
Canis lupus familiaris

NounsareVerbs posted:
The thing that's always dumbfounded me about human beings is the sheer range of ability - intellectually, physically, and in specific crafts. We have people that are 400 pounds of lard of their own doing and incapable of the most menial tasks for maintaining society - all the way up to athletes capable of covering fifty miles without rest and intellectual behemoths who are fluent in five or more languages, and craft work so precise that it appears as magic to the unskilled. There is no biological limitation preventing these two extremes from occurring in even within same human life. What other species approaches that incredible choice and diversity?

dogs

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
jews
my butt.
i know there are cats capable of fixing my car if only they had the will to motivation
also lol that being fluent in 5+ languages makes you an intellectual behemoth, most africans know like ~7
god made man in his image, and man made dog in his. with each step, deterioration

NounsareVerbs posted:
We have people that are 400 pounds of lard of their own doing and incapable of the most menial tasks for maintaining society

*shifty eyes*

[account deactivated]