Eternally merciful- although in their defense it does sound like a p exciting time to be ajew as opposed to the 20th century.
[account deactivated]
Ya.
[account deactivated]
Yeah because material wealth is insignificant when we're talking about standard of living. What really matters is how well your chakra is aligned, or some shit.
The relentless advance of technology and social change has made life 200 years ago seem positively barbaric compared to today. But I guess if you can only envision human history as 30 years old and dismiss all advances during that time period as illegitimate then it would be hard to see the overall picture, which is that the standard of living is higher today to a degree that would be unimaginable to the people of the past.

Your supposed scientific metrics like poverty and health are a joke. Both have gotten far better in the intervening time. Life expectancy has shot up. Bankruptcy laws? Labor protections? Did those even exist back then?

This is the part where you get reactionary and tell me about the glorious past and how it had something great that we left behind, some sense of community which came from total fealty to a despot, or equivalent bullshit. Or maybe you think all of this progress comes about magically as time passes and just take it for granted, and do not see that for a great deal of human history nowhere near this rate of positive change occurred for so many people.

Edited by lungfish ()

I don't think capitalism gets to take credit for technological improvement. Communism generated technological development, to take a historically parallel example. And prior to both other modes of social organization did the same. Money does not literally make the world go round.
Also it's not fair to look to unrepresentative ancedotes for the purposes of analyzing a system as a whole. You need broader statistics like what Goatstein was using.
How could the current system of economics not take credit for its economic achievements? Even Marx wouldn't deny it that. Because Marx's predictions were wrong and the wealthy first world nations rejected his revolution, the backwater jokers that called themselves Communists were endlessly playing catchup with the capitalists. And they mostly did it in a horrifying way. And then it collapsed and became discredited the world round, except the nightmare that is North Korea.

Money doesn't literally spin the world, no, but it is a social tool that impacts every aspect of our material life, which is what we're talking about here.
[account deactivated]
dont forget space... the final frontier
[account deactivated]
well i dont see much wrong with ruinin london's day

i take your point however

lungfish posted:
How could the current system of economics not take credit for its economic achievements? Even Marx wouldn't deny it that. Because Marx's predictions were wrong and the wealthy first world nations rejected his revolution, the backwater jokers that called themselves Communists were endlessly playing catchup with the capitalists. And they mostly did it in a horrifying way. And then it collapsed and became discredited the world round, except the nightmare that is North Korea.

Money doesn't literally spin the world, no, but it is a social tool that impacts every aspect of our material life, which is what we're talking about here.

That's not what I said lungfish. I said capitalism shouldn't take credit for the benefits of general technological improvement (or rather, apologists of capitalism should not use that as evidence) since non-capitalist socioeconomic modes achieved similar things for similar reasons. It handwaves away the peculiar character of capitalism (which is what is actually being debated here) and asserts capitalism as the only possible modernity, which is false both historically and theoretically. You can not legitimately co-opt the benefits of modernity into an advocacy for capitalism, since there have been alternate routes to those same gains. You must argue for capitalism in particular, or else accept that any and all routes to modernity are basically good because they attain those benefits.

discipline posted:
war is what makes the world go round. learning to kill your enemy in a better and more efficient way is probably the cause for almost all technological advancement in the last 100 years.

Hence Capitalism and Communism being the major players I guess

technological improvement is driven by energy consumption, not ideology

Impper posted:

ideology is driven by energy consumption!

i don't know if that's true tim. but it might be

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

i thought you had disavowed dialectical materialism, baby finland.

ideology is driven by boredom with the previous. and plague.

Impper posted:

I have as much access to energy as hippies do but without the ideology which has led me to developing software and thus improving technology I might be sitting in a drumming circle in Zuccotti Park protesting the fascist General Assembly's recently forced-through "consensus" decision to limit drumming so as to better comply with neighborhood authorities.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/occupy_animal_farm_the_organiz.html

lungfish posted:
Impper posted:

I have as much access to energy as hippies do but without the ideology which has led me to developing software and thus improving technology I might be sitting in a drumming circle in Zuccotti Park protesting the fascist General Assembly's recently forced-through "consensus" decision to limit drumming so as to better comply with neighborhood authorities.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/occupy_animal_farm_the_organiz.html

i'm talking about on a societal level, specifically in regards to the state and the state's drive to improve technology

germanjoey posted:

sorry this is three weeks after you posted this or whatever but i'm whispering i love you at you,OP

germanjoey posted:

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

i thought you had disavowed dialectical materialism, baby finland.

and yet, and yet...

On this side of the Atlantic, metalworkers in Uruguay have occupied at least 40 factories, according to a report issued by the International Metalworkers Federation. According to a National Metalworkers' Union (UNTMRA) spokesperson, employers in Uruguay have "increased repression of the workforce, temporarily placing some workers on unemployment pay, threatening to dismiss others and generally acting in a provocative way in order to change the focus of the dispute away from our list of demands."

And the word itself, "occupy" (in its many translations), seems to be trending throughout the global labor movement. "Aviation workers who were sacked following the outsourcing of their jobs earlier this month carried out a Wall Street-inspired protest in the Philippines last week," reports the International Transport Workers Federation. The workers declared on 15 October that "their protest camp at Manila international airport, set up in the aftermath of the workers' dismissal from Philippine Airlines, was part of the 'Occupy' movement."

Workers elsewhere are likewise employing age-old variations of the tactic. Earlier this week, Petrobras Workers began a slowdown at platforms and refineries in Brazil. Civil servants in Greece are planning a new series of strike actions for next week. And even though arrests of workers and activists seems to continue unabated, including a number of arrests on Friday at the Victoria Trades Hall in Melbourne, support of the #OccupyWallSt and #OccupyTogether movement, and its tactics, continues to increase.

http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/nowak221011.html

i saw chomskkky in boston last night. at least 10,000 people there
doug henwood on the political demographics of OWS:

http://lbo-news.com/2011/10/23/taking-the-measure-of-ows/

8% Radical
53% Liberal
5% Conservative
27% "Process-oriented"
8% Not sure

[account deactivated]
I am conservative, specifically "Crazy"
wtf is process oriented
It looks like he wants to say anarchist or radical democrat without saying as much
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Getting rid of
1. private campaign funding and
2. the first-past-the-post version of all voting processes

in Washington would go a long way to kickstart an actual democracy and mayyybe make the country more just at home and abroad. unfortunately the only people who could make that happen are the same people that would suddenly lose all power if they did so guess how likely those demands are to be met.
also money is speech apparently

NounsareVerbs posted:
Getting rid of
1. private campaign funding and
2. the first-past-the-post version of all voting processes

in Washington would go a long way to kickstart an actual democracy and mayyybe make the country more just at home and abroad. unfortunately the only people who could make that happen are the same people that would suddenly lose all power if they did so guess how likely those demands are to be met.

i used to have this fantasy about converting the us senate into a proportionally apportioned parliament ("nice round number! it'd be perfect!") until i looked at article v and found out that literally the only thing in the constitution you can't change via amendment is state representation in the senate. you could repeal the first if you got the votes but you'll only pry wyoming and north dakotas' senate votes out of their cold dead hands

Make the senate a royal court, 100 fools appointed by the states in the same way - whose new job is to wash the floors and juggle fruits for the real democratic leaders.
write in an individual right to secede from a state and form a new one, one hundred thousand luxemburgian gubinatorialities sweep across america like wildflowers

Edited by thirdplace ()

no but you see you consent to the rules of the state by being born into it and living within it - it has absolutely nothing to do with the police and prisons and armies it maintains