paws up if youre fundamentally against "social control" or hierarchy generally

*quietly clicks a luger behind back*
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

discipline posted:
yeah ok I agree being mean is bad but I'm not going to throw mean people in jail

yea, that'd be dumb. just saying that touting "sustained exposure to assholes" as a positive aspect of public schools is wrong

welcome to the real world

I will be your guide. Baby finland

babyfinland posted:
bullying doesnt have any social value but neither does lady gaga.

fuck off asshole lady of gagas is awesome

discipline posted:
thirdplace posted:
yea, that'd be dumb. just saying that touting "sustained exposure to assholes" as a positive aspect of public schools is wrong

haha why not? it helped me immensely.

how so?

discipline posted:

thirdplace posted:

"it worked for me" is literally The Worst argument for any method of childrearing in existence.

[account deactivated]

Cycloneboy posted:

discipline posted:

thirdplace posted:

"it worked for me" is literally The Worst argument for any method of childrearing in existence.

like homeschooling

discipline posted:

Cycloneboy posted:
Isn't like all of the social control that goes on in Wall Street not between peers? I mean, it's been a while since I saw it, but it seems like it was pretty much all top-down social control, which is different from bullying which is where your supposed peers exercise social control via intimidation.

school is not filled with peers bucko. there are kids who are smarter than other kids, funnier than other kids, run faster than other kids, beat harder than other kids... indeed, we are all unique individuals with different talents and shortcomings

some are smarter. some are funnier. some are faster and some are stronger.

but none are me. baby finland.

why are you guys talking to muslims about negative social pressure

that's their wheelhouse

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:
bullying doesnt have any social value but neither does lady gaga.

fuck off asshole lady of gagas is awesome

"born this way" huh nice one Lady Eugenics

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

that's their wheelhouse

yes muslims suffer a lot from negative social pressure so the fact that we arent crybabies about it should say a lot

look at a woman in the ninja beekeeper thing and think to yourself "yeah these are people who have social pressures worked out alright"
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

getfiscal posted:

that's their wheelhouse

yes muslims suffer a lot from negative social pressure so the fact that we arent crybabies about it should say a lot

islam basically is a crybaby religion. a religion of newbs.

getfiscal posted:
look at a woman in the ninja beekeeper thing and think to yourself "yeah these are people who have social pressures worked out alright"

and what of the gay community's mountain of dead teenagers

Cycloneboy posted:

mangosteen posted:
bullying has a value in that a) it socializes the weak into understanding their place and b) it punishes those who deviate from an accepted social baseline

that doesn't sound very valuable.

not to you maybe

discipline posted:
school is not filled with peers bucko. there are kids who are smarter than other kids, funnier than other kids, run faster than other kids, beat harder than other kids... indeed, we are all unique individuals with different talents and shortcomings

if being different made someone not your peer, then there wouldn't be any such thing as a peer. you're redefining words in the dumbest way to support your dumbass argument. a peer is a person who is on the same horizontal level as you in a particular prominent hierarchical social structure. other children are the same age (approx) and the same status (children attending an educational facility for a particular grade). ergo, they are peers, ergo, bullying is peer based intimidation. the only thing i can think of in the adult world that's similar is unions, but those are majority v. minority rather than person v. person.

babyfinland posted:
like homeschooling

then i guess it's a good thing I've never argued "it worked for me" as a pro of homeschooling.

babyfinland posted:

you're just mad they didn't take out a NATO humvee with them

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

you're just mad they didn't take out a NATO humvee with them

well yes

it gets better. then you die and are forgotten and a little while thereafter the universe experiences eternal heat death. die now, die later, no difference

discipline posted:
lmao you are literally a child if you believe in peers past the legal definition who sits on juries

"social peers" is the most bourgeois concept ever

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
lmao you are literally a child if you believe in peers past the legal definition who sits on juries

i'm redefining all of sociology and society to conform to my dumbass belief that bullying is really awesome + important because i got called 'fag' a lot as a teenager.

lmao indeed. lmao indeed.

discipline posted:
you are only peers in relation to authority, but maybe you should read some foucault to learn about that....

bullies share the same relationship to authority as other students.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i am bonded to my peers by Blood and Honor

discipline posted:
no I mean seriously would you like to define peer for me cycloneboy

a person in an equivalent social ranking that is reinforced by formal rules.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
so by definition is bullying a breakdown of relations between peers or simply some different cache of social rankings & formal rules you're failing to consider in this discussion?

bullying is one member (or a few members) of a peer group establishing dominance over others by process of intimidation. is there a similar structure that appears in adulthood?

bullying may occur in adulthood.
i mean, it's kind of obvious though so d'oh.
is anyone else posting here even trying to be real any more or is it all just empty boring troll fight hyperbole
troll fight hyperbole is a pretty apt way to put it.
i mean, i think cyclonekid is sincere in a way but since it is mutually agreed that no one is ever going to change his opinion about anything it's more of a nitpicking contest that attempts to portray the other side as ridiculous.
im real
no you're ahistorical

tapespeed posted:
is anyone else posting here even trying to be real any more or is it all just empty boring troll fight hyperbole

why do you think people get bullied