today i started drinking at about 2pm i guess, after i'd come back from the store and watched some dad get into a fight with the worker because he'd loaded up his toddler daughter with goods and insisted this changed the "1 per customer" rule. luckily, the neighborhood stepped in to lay down the law before he hopped over the counter and started strangling a teenage girl. felt good about that, but kinda bad about the bar packed with folks on the way home. i've never been rich enough to go carousing in bars. i'll be sticking to my guavaberry liquor in the isolation of my own home, thank you.

i'm working through the booze backwards, swallowing up the more unliked varieties before i reach the end of my life, which will be the half-litre of 7 year havana club. i'll drink it through the wheezing while wistfully recalling my time in cuba, a place where people can actually breathe not only because of the best medical system in the world, but also because there are literally more trees there.

before i hit the club, it's vodka, tequila, rye, bourbon, and scotch. sweet vermouth and three bottles of wine will pad me out in the meanwhile. i guess i've got like 30 days to go before i start hitting the 70% isopropyl alcohol i bought for an unrelated reason last month. they say it can be turned into hand sanitizer, but who am i kidding? i could swap it for a hundred bucks or a loaf of bread... OR i could try and dull the headaches that come with fluid in the lungs by embracing blindness.

bottoms up, everyone! i hope you have a great weekend.
my wife and i specifically bought and drank a bottle of sparkling wine last night to celebrate the corona infection of certain right wing politicians. i suppose in an unspoken way it also functioned as a momentary relief from the mounting pressure of planning to deal with self isolation and social distancing in a country that is not yet taking the situation as seriously as it should. i can otherwise not afford to drink at the moment and look forward to imbibing vicariously through my fellow posters.
this natty lights's for you bud
started drinking at about 4pm today, but that's only because i woke up at 1pm! working slow on the scotch, since it's the cheap kind. got a 6 pack at the bodega downstairs because what's the point anymore. locked up in a house with someone else, and we've lived together for years but i fear we will end up hating each other after this
constantly reminding myself to moisturize my hands since they've turned into cracked, red mittens at this point from neurotic overwashing
I got a handle of bourbon, not sure why, I don't really like bourbon. debating if I should drink it first to keep the pace down at the start, or save it to barter for livestock and ammunition in a few months after americans get no federal rent relief.

MarxUltor posted:

got a handle of bourbon, not sure why, I don't really like bourbon.

give it to me

I think its worth at least an ox
best i can do is two chickens
i have turned into a happy lush. drinking for four straight nights now with no end in sight. three or four beers because i have a low tolerance and that's enough to get me buzzed. getting a real taste for kronenbourg. only trouble is i may have not bought enough! but i have four bottles of wine still stoo.
it's like those halcyon first days of DYTD all over again. i made some hot cocoa w/ rum
update: i have negotiated an agreement to spend a little of next week's pay on beer and wine. very excited by this development.
DYTD GoFundMe thread
you're all going to want to switch from beer and wine to the hard shit if you really want bang for the buck. wine should be used for cooking. you'll thank me on your 5th day of rice and beans.
Finally getting a chance to drink all those accursed LQs in the back of the cabinet. Creme de cassis, the plastic water bottle full of Serbian moonshine, the "barrel flavoured" bitters. A glorious time to drink until death!

winebaby posted:

the plastic water bottle full of Serbian moonshine,

winebaby posted:

Finally getting a chance to drink all those accursed LQs in the back of the cabinet. Creme de cassis, the plastic water bottle full of Serbian moonshine, the "barrel flavoured" bitters. A glorious time to drink until death!

get creative!

i'm live-posting my drinking today, started about 20 minutes ago. cheap scotch and lemon-lime soda. ama!
went for a walk with my flask. shame that we're missing spring up here!
had about 12oz of scotch... wondering if i should keep going or call it a night..?
no spelling errors... keep going
well, i ended up going another 4 and it wasn't pretty. but today is a new day! here's to beauty all around us
[account deactivated]
ran out of toothpaste and am so committed to my 'tine that i'm brushing with everclear

same
i think that is cute.
i didn't know there were any elephant populations left in china, that's cool
they're shutting down liquor stores here on sunday, so went and picked up another 2.15 litres of 80 proof or more alcohol just in case
I'm abstaining from alcohol for Lent, and this thread is killing me. I wrote to Pope Francis and asked if self-quarantine lifts the obligation, but he hasn't written back

jeantatlock posted:

they're shutting down liquor stores here on sunday

what the hell they can do that. they promised essential services would continue to function

pouring package of champagne yeast into bathtub full of beans life finds a way, my friends.

filler posted:

I'm abstaining from alcohol for Lent, and this thread is killing me. I wrote to Pope Francis and asked if self-quarantine lifts the obligation, but he hasn't written back

Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine.

been seeing pictures of French people drinking wine in their lockdown and being French about everything, makes me want to see if that fancy wine shop in this town is still open and if not open it myself as a public service
today it's DH's turn to DHTD... started at about 1pm with several shots of cheap scotch, then he went and got a 6 pack at the bodega since i wouldn't let him near the rest of the stash (he finished off one of the handles already). the negotiation is that we have a bottle of wine with dinner. he's been listening to pop smoke and dipset since about noon and i'm just now hitting a beer myself. hoping he passes out in a few hours so i can drink alone, which has long been my MO and preferred way of numbing the horrifying world out. the hospitals here are already becoming overwhelmed and many good people will die like dogs, drowning in blood and mucous. i just hope it clips a good number of precincts on its way through.
wine and beer purchase was brought forward as we had what was probably our last opportunity for the foreseeable future to have our kid stay overnight with my in laws. so my wife and i stayed home drinking beer, i made dinner, we watched dumb movies and drank wine and ate popcorn. i have a headache today. worth it
i moved into this place recently that shares a large, overgrown yard (more like a field... it's really big) with another house. the girls who live there moved in just before i did and already decided to hire some people to clean up the yard, but two of them just lost their jobs, so that's out. so to keep myself active, i've been mowing this giant yard and collecting a historical epoch's worth of downed tree limbs and branches that are out there, breaking them down and sorting them in distinct piles by an old firepit.

there are also random bricks and cinderblocks scattered around. so i improved the firepit and also built this stalker: call of chernobyl-like encampment of cinderblocks and got a fire going, and brought my dinner out there and sat there eating it by the fire while surrounded by these big piles of wood. and this stray cat that moved in with me was hanging out with me too and eating his dinner. he was really curious about what i was doing and liked to climb up on the woodpiles like the king kitty.

and i brought out a bottle of wine and drank some of that.
just drinking a few cans of australia's number one beer, fosters (crafted to refresh)(for the thirst)(quality lager beer)
viciously drunk on bottles of kronenbourg and feel like my liver is devouring the rest of my stomach. going to read some e.h. carr curled up under my quilt and hopefully die.
thats the spirit