it takes up even more space, but a good way to keep a bus tidy is to only build on one side of it. that way you can always just add extra lanes to the other side when you need them. doubling the length means doubling the amount of belt you need, but that's a one-time cost and you can keep it down by only using red belts. iirc blues are 4x more expensive but only give you 50% more throughput. horrible. to minimize travel time before exoskeletons, I used to build a single train line parallel to the bus so I could zoom along the whole thing. but I haven't built a bus in years
as for everything grinding to a halt once buffers are used up, the way to avoid that is to plan your science builds around 100% uptime. everything else (belts, inserters, etc) is more variable and often idle so that's less important. a target of 60 science per minute (1/s) is more than enough, and you could probably get away with half that. there are sites that will tell you exactly how many buildings and how much of each raw material you need to sustain a given rate, but that's simple enough to work out by hand and it's fun to fill a notebook with calculations and diagrams. once you've done this and know that, say, your green science needs exactly one belt of iron, instead of splitting that from the bus you can simply divert an entire lane. it will never need more, and it must not share. this greatly simplifies your bus, and when generalized the bus disappears altogether
the last thing I'll say is that those electric furnaces with the speed modules have an insane power/plate requirement lol. electric furnaces are already less efficient than coal, and the only time they're really worth using is with production modules. prod modules are king because they let you turn power into free stuff. speed modules turn power into a slight space savings. as a general rule, prod modules go in every factory building and speed modules only go in beacons (because prod modules can't). prod modules can go in labs btw
finally there are trains. idk if you're using them but they're a ton of fun. only really necessary for massively scaling up post-game, but again they're fun. I haven't played openttd since I got factorio in 2014..
e: I know you weren't asking for advice but I can't resist talking about factorio lol. sushi belts are cool too
Edited by kinch ()
231, 50, 25, 44, 0, 6, 18, 37, 24, 22
for an average of 47.5
this months games:
47, 3, 69, 36, 17, 1, 51, 13, 87, 19
for an average of 34.3
verdict; i have not improved
let's play a ttrpg
uhhh i cast magic missile lol
i cast shield as a reaction, your magic missile impacts harmlessly.
My chain contingecy fires (trigger: when attacked), instantly casting protection from magical weapons, improved invisibility and spell immunity: divination
my regular contingency fires (trigger: chain contingency activated) casting stoneskin
I fire my spell sequencer: mirror image, improved haste and protection from magical energy
I cast time stop and unsheath my katana
nothing personal kid
haha good one folks, I'm the DM welcome to my dungeon. All PCs are 1st-level half-elf apothecaries per Sages & Specialists (1996) (TSR 2164)
I propose raising capital by selling elf drugs with the comrades of drink your elf to death
they say i'm half a man, trying to keep apothecaries down
and not a "high" elf so the priests think
they have the authority to ritually bind a minority
but fuck that shit cuz I aint the one
for some punk motherfucker worshipping the sun
to be chanting on, and casting spells
we can go bow to bow in westside rivendell
fucking with me cuz i'm a dark ager
with a little bit of gold and a sabre
beating on a dragon, searching for the wealth
thinking every half elf belongs upon a bookshelf
drink your elf to death
Thy smoke-poulder hast misfired! A cloud of shame envelops your family crest (Half-Elf Heraldry II, xmviii).
I cast cry pathetically. I roll so poorly that I fail to cry and get an infection in my tear-duct
At point 1, uranium ore is processed into U-235 with 0.7% probability and U-238 with 99.3% probability. at 1a, these products are divided up, with the occasional U-235 sent ahead in the production line and the U-238 stockpiled in a crate. Point 2 is the centrifuge that does the fictional "kovarex enrichment process". The centrifuge consumes 40x U-235 and 5x U-238 and produces 41x U-235 and 2x U-238. So the problem is to always save 40 of the 41 U-235 to be put back into the centrifuge. The crate at 2a is kept filled with 3x U-238, which are dumped onto the belt when it sees the other 2x U-238 removed, so that all 5 units can be fed back into the centrifuge.
I should make a note about circuit networks in the game: there are red and green wires that, when used to connect machines, form the physical infrastructure of a network that carries simple signals. A "network" is a group of machines connected by the same colored wire, so each discrete network carries its own set of signals. These signals consist of a sign or channel - this can be any item (or fluid or gas), or one of many abstract symbols - and a value. A crate, for example, interacts with the circuit network in the following way: it broadcasts each type of content as a signal and the amount of each type of content as the value of the signal. Each machine can connect to one red and one green network, which cannot ever be connected due to their mismatching colors.
The circuit at 2b works as follows: first, there is an output crate that signals its contents to an inserter. If there are more than 40 units (practically, when there are 41 units) of U-235 in the crate, the inserter activates and removes 1 at a time until there there not more than 40 (practically, it removes the 41st unit). The inserter places its bit of U-235 on a transport belt that carries it away; the transport belt also sends a signal whenever it sees a piece of U-235.
This signal goes to the decider combinator on the right (there are three total, between 2b and 2c). Decider combinators receive signals at their inputs, and send a signal at their outputs based on comparing the values of a signal they received, either to constant integers or the value of another signal. If the decider combinator on the right is told there's a piece of U-235 on the transport belt, it broadcasts a signal of S=1 to the decider combinator on the bottom at 2c. This signal means "Set".
If the combinator on the left sees that the original Kovarex output chest has zero U-235 in it, it broadcasts a signal of R=1 to the combinator on the bottom. This signal means "Reset."
The decider combinator on the bottom takes advantage of having two network inputs to each machine, and takes advantage of our ability to wire a combinator's output to its input. This is essentially, intentional hysteresis. This combinator watches for S>R to be true, and if it is, it outputs a signal of S=1. It then receives its own output signal of S=1, which means that it reads an input total of S=2. This means that when we reach a condition where the right combinator is broadcasting S=1 while R=0 (which only happens for a moment, when a bit of U-235 lands on a transport belt and there are still 40 pieces in the output crate), the combinator on the bottom continually tells itself that S=1 even after the combinator on the right has stopped, but when R=1 again (the output crate is empty), it forgets that S=1, because it was the only thing claiming that S=1 and it only believed that back when S>R.
This signal is then monitored by the white inserter below the output chest. The inserter only turns on when S>0. The effect is that the white inserter waits until one of the 41 pieces of U-235 has been siphoned off before it activates and removes the other 40, and then it deactivates in preparation for the next cycle.
The next problem I am trying to solve with circuit logic is balanced reactor fueling. Although I can produce more U-235 reliably with the kovarex circuit, it's still pretty valuable. Among other things, it gets turned into fuel cells to be used by the reactors at 3a. The reactors consume one fuel cell in 200 seconds, no matter how much power is drawn from them. Heat exchangers at 3b produce 500 degree steam, which is turned into power by steam turbines, and can also be stored for future use in tanks at 3c. The goal here is to feed one, and only one power cell to the reactors when stockpiled steam is running low or when the temperature of the heat exchangers is in danger of falling below 500 degrees. I think I've come up with a good approach now that I've typed up this post, but I will have to update later if I don't starve to death or have a psychotic break with reality.
Edited by swampman ()
project idea: cyclonopedia but find/replace petroleum to Mako
we should have all the rhizzone game devs collab to make the Cyclonopedia JRPG...
Are you tired of games that do not have everything you want? I know I am. For example: Guild Banks. Who creates a game but does not give you access to the bank right away? All of the current games, that’s who. It’s sad.
i'm finally giving final fantasy vii (switch port) an earnest go. it's ok but not mindblowing..?
imo "not mindblowing" is exactly what you want from that series (Final fantasy 6 and 7, the two best games in it).
Final Fantasy X-2 is the one game in the main line of the series that presents anything truly surprising or revelatory to the player through harmony of story and mechanics, engaging through deceptive commercial charm and paying off that engagement many times over, fine-tuning to near-perfection the underlying systems it adopts from its predecessors at the same time it employs them as a means of incisive auto-critique. It's a little too good at its job to be a video game and that's why it's only the 3rd best in the series despite its massively superior ratio of kawaii (cute) costumes per character.