tears is a real educator

i printed and tested the jig, above. i mis-estimated the weight of the stock -- it doesn't need a string system to hold it, it can be held and rotated into position with the strength of a finger. excited to test its repeatability in the course of machining.

printing xmas presents (just kodi boxes)

what it's supposed to look like

what it looks like coming off the printer (wavy is b/c my x and y axes have poor repeatability... not built to exact constraint)

i sanded and then smoothed it using acetone. however, 3D printing is like making things with sticky rope, and between the ropes, there are crevices. this is where the acetone was hanging out when it was put in a rit bath. the acetone boiled out and created these bubbles of plastic along the crevices. it wasn't intentional but maybe it could be used to artistic effect. it messed up the dimensions unfortunately, but at least the hobby's cheap.

toyotathon posted:

i sanded and then smoothed it using acetone. however, 3D printing is like making things with sticky rope, and between the ropes, there are crevices. this is where the acetone was hanging out when it was put in a rit bath. the acetone boiled out and created these bubbles of plastic along the crevices. it wasn't intentional but maybe it could be used to artistic effect. it messed up the dimensions unfortunately, but at least the hobby's cheap.

that's cool

jansenist_drugstore posted:

i've been reading about the replicability crisis in social sciences (only one problem of an obvious many). on the one hand, so-called experts are saying that this is not a problem of a blind faith in p-values, but other so-called experts are saying that p-values can no longer be reliably used in research. came across bayesian statistics, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience about this approach to research or its usefulness in general? is this just another attempt to rationalize poor methods?

during my final year of undergrad i took a biopsych module, and after attending lecture one to doublecheck there was no attendance register, i safely ignored the next 59. after a relaxing evening reading a few wikipedia articles on biological psychology i was pretty confident walking into my finals only imagine the momentary horror as i read on the front of the paper "failiure to reference real research will cap your maximum mark"; well, i thought, fortune favours the bold, so i just scattered a few (allen, allen & smith, 2002) and Johnson and Johnson (1987) through the paper; 64%; my greatest ever own