https://thecharnelhouse.org/2017/05/15/dont-bother-reading-settlers-by-j-sakai/

J. Sakai’s 1983 screed Set­tlers: The Myth­o­logy of the White Pro­let­ari­at has been mak­ing the rounds again lately. Pre­sum­ably be­cause it of­fers a readymade ex­plan­a­tion for why the so-called “white work­ing class” voted for Trump en bloc, a premise which is it­self de­bat­able. Rhizzo­ne.net, an on­line mes­sage board where shit-tier Maoist Third Worldists and oth­er ran­dom nerds can meet and mingle, spear­headed the ini­ti­at­ive to re­launch Read­Set­tlers.org amidst the 2016 US Pres­id­en­tial elec­tion. You can fol­low the #read­set­tlers hasht­ag on Twit­ter, and there’s even been a tumblr ded­ic­ated to the in­junc­tion.

i thought some of you might be excited to see our name in lights (lol), and interested to know that our reading group selections are apparently making waves this week in the world of online Trotskyism

the only response so far is a white supremacist claiming his quote was taken out of context and it's actually even worse

gg ross
I guess it makes sense that people would misread settlers as simply replacing class for race at this particular moment, when there's a whole stupid debate over "PC" and "identity politics," but boy howdy is it fukkin tiresome

Ufuk_Surekli posted:

Rhizzo­ne.net, an on­line mes­sage board where shit-tier Maoist Third Worldists and oth­er ran­dom nerds can meet and mingle

their not wrong

I'm sure the 'debate' around Settlers was somehow even more moronic when it was first released in the early 80s

(As an aside, why lim­it the cat­egory of “set­tler” to those from Europe? People from Africa were im­por­ted to the west­ern hemi­sphere to pro­duce sur­plus-value, which was sub­sequently trans­formed in­to cap­it­al. Were they “set­tlers” too? And what about Mex­ic­ans and In­di­ans already here, and Chinese im­por­ted later? They also pro­duced wealth used to dom­in­ate oth­ers.)

this is from the review that RW endorsed wholeheartedly enough to reprint in full lmao

this is on par with "I SPENT 8 HOURS TAKING A SHIT, CHECKMATE MARX"

if anybody's worried about what they should read instead by the way, don't worry, thecharnelhouse.org actually published their own alternative reading list last month in the article preceding this one:

Le­on Trot­sky, 1905 (1907)
Le­on Trot­sky, Ter­ror­ism and Com­mun­ism: A Reply to Karl Kaut­sky (1920)
Le­on Trot­sky, Mil­it­ary Writ­ings, 1920-1923
Le­on Trot­sky, Lit­er­at­ure and Re­volu­tion (1923)
Le­on Trot­sky, The Chal­lenge of the Left Op­pos­i­tion: Writ­ings, 1923-1925
Le­on Trot­sky, My Life (1928)
Le­on Trot­sky, The Third In­ter­na­tion­al After Len­in (1928)
Le­on Trot­sky, His­tory of the Rus­si­an Re­volu­tion, Volume 1: The Over­throw of Tsar­ism (1929)
Le­on Trot­sky, His­tory of the Rus­si­an Re­volu­tion, Volume 2: At­tempt at Coun­ter­re­volu­tion (1930)
Le­on Trot­sky, His­tory of the Rus­si­an Re­volu­tion, Volume 3: The Tri­umph of the So­vi­ets (1931)

Vic­tor Serge and Nat­alia Se­dova, Life and Death of Le­on Trot­sky (1946)
Jean van Heijenoort, With Trot­sky in Ex­ile: From Prinkipo to Coyoacán (1978)
Dmitrii Volko­gonov, Trot­sky: The Etern­al Re­volu­tion­ary (1992)
Ian D. Thatch­er, Trot­sky (2002)
Joshua Ruben­stein, Le­on Trot­sky: A Re­volu­tion­ary’s Life (2011)

witness the trotskyist become cross and aggressive at the threat of being out-pamphleted
what other books can the rhizzone promote to make trots mad at us? i know theres a book called 'a new britannia' from 1970 by humphrey mcqueen which apparently argues a similar thesis but for australia. i have yet to read it but i have a copy.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

what other books can the rhizzone promote to make trots mad at us?

http://www.stalinsociety.org/reading/collected-works-of-stalin/

http://www.korea-dpr.com/e_library.html

what other books can the rhizzone promote to make trots mad at us? i know theres a book called 'a new britannia' from 1970 by humphrey mcqueen which apparently argues a similar thesis but for australia. i have yet to read it but i have a copy.

Judging by recent liberal meltdowns, I'm sure a blog post about the excesses of avocado toast will do the trick

*rolls into thread* how do fellow marxists, can i interest you in a pamphlet about how hitler and stalin were exactly the same?
the entire point of Settlers is contradicted by this forum's existence anyway, you racist losers
snyder no snyding

animedad posted:

the entire point of Settlers is contradicted by this forum's existence anyway, you racist losers

animedad what happened

i don't think the guy who wrote that article read the book tbh

~*~also their sidebar links to sam kriss blog~*~

Edited by roseweird ()

animedad posted:

sorry anime dad, i wish you would anime believe in me

Un­for­tu­nately, the “ana­lys­is” offered in Set­tlers is tenden­tious garbage. Few Marx­ists have had the pa­tience, however, to read through the book in or­der to of­fer a point-by-point re­but­tal. This isn’t so much due to its style, which fam­ously flouts aca­dem­ic con­ven­tions and es­chews ac­cep­ted dis­curs­ive norms. I’m all for shit­ting on MLA writ­ing stand­ards, to say noth­ing of the stil­ted jar­gon of ad­juncts and pro­fess­ors. But if you’re go­ing to make de­tailed stat­ist­ic­al claims about the per­cent­age of white col­on­ists in­volved in vari­ous lines of work dur­ing the sev­en­teenth cen­tury, I ex­pect a foot­note ex­plain­ing the meth­od­o­logy used (how data was col­lec­ted and sor­ted, what “class” means in this con­text, etc.).

I’m all for shit­ting on MLA writ­ing stand­ards, to say noth­ing of the stil­ted jar­gon of ad­juncts and pro­fess­ors but lets not tendentiously flout aca­dem­ic con­ven­tions or es­chew ac­cep­ted dis­curs­ive norms

i think settlers is garbage, but noone's made a summary that i can easily parrot yet so i'm not that sure

roseweird posted:

i don't think the guy who wrote that article read the book tbh

~*~also their sidebar links to sam kriss blog~*~

why read it when you can pontificate about how racism is just a spell the bourgeoisie put on poor whites

das kapital

can the bbourgeoisie cast spells?

animedad posted:

FUCK

tears posted:

FUCK

Take your pick

https://archive.org/details/@ismail_badiou&tab=uploads

https://archive.org/details/HIST3750GreatConspiracyAgainstRussia
ruh-roh...

https://medium.com/@merrikatxavier/breaking-settler-news-makes-racism-apparent-b1bf5d56b132

The Facebook page ‘Anti-Fascist News’ recently published a review drenched in anti-black, anti-brown, and anti-Asian sentiment. Now, thankfully taken down and apologized for by AFA News, the text was filled with clear-as-day racism and colonial-apologetics. The text being discussed (read invalidated) by author Ross Wolfe is “Settlers: The Mythology of the White Proletariat”.

(...)

The name-dropping of writers Wolfe indulges in is testament to the very weak-minded, racist, and class reductionist propaganda he sees as Marxism. Not a single original thought of his own is presented to the audience, where quote for quote references alleged “inaccurate”representations of slavery without a single citation.

(...)

They, then are complicit in the genocidal campaign of US imperialism both domestic and abroad. We need to act. The Eurocentric tenets of ‘White radicalism’ need to be obliterated. By the graces of Mao, Touissant l’ouverture, and Zapata before us, we need to overcome this obstacle within the decolonial movement. We need to start working, organizing, supporting our communities, and ensuring our future as an autonomous people.

The 55,000+ followers this page has is too much to condone this violence for. Following multiple responses to the article in question, and the decision of a popular ‘anti-fascist’ news outlet, multiple people of color were blocked by Anti-Fascist News for voicing their frustrations and concerns. People were gaslit and told which of their histories were valid. Black women were told that they didn’t even read the article, written by a White person invalidating a history all people of color know. This is an act of racial aggression by none other than a White man.

(...)

First, I propose a preventative measure: beware of the Fascist Creeo. Beware of the Racist Creep in dual regard, the White supremacist in Red cloth of the October Revolution et al that pretends to have the answer to our salvation as a working class people of many ethnic backgrounds: class-reductionist theory.

(...)

The problem is not simply that Wolfe’s publication has critiqued J. Sakai’s piece, but that it attempts at burying it under unwarranted and poorlt cited suspicion, and quite literally tells people to not read it. Why is that necessary? These are questions to ask our White allies and of their intentions.

If you own a page and support the decolonial movement,

if you support the destruction of white supremacy and fascism,

if you want to prevent the erasure of Black, Brown, and Asian history from evolving any further —

make sure you share this.

Even if you would rather copy and paste.

This isn’t about me.

As this article is not being hailed as a testimony to the imagined illegitimacy of the history of people of color by many White activists, I draw insoiration from Baldwin’s words: the future of America, and life’s potential to be better for all of us (people of color and White people alike) depends on defending our movement.

UPDATE:

Ross Wolfe has been effectively and is currently still being outted as a racist— a condemnation beyond simple class reduction. This article has been shared with multiple Anti-Racist Action chapters. We are demanding a public apology, and reparations to all those censored on Anti-Fascist News. We are demanding justice for the damage done to our communities by giving racists a platform.

UPDATE

Anti-Fascist news has published an apology for their disregard of our history as people of color as something ‘divisive’ after recognizing Mr. Wolfe has divided the Left between class reductionist, and comprehensive Leftists.

UPDATE:

Demands of Mr. Wolfe’s are currently being made.

After Wolfe apologizes, they will also make a public statement denouncing the piece and critiquing themselves. This will be published to their site and within their portfolio permanently. This will serve as semi-reparation to the history being erased by Marxists™ who believe they have a say in the autonomy of subaltern populations.

After that is posted, monetary reparations will be made to the multiple Black and indigenous people who have had to defend their history from the devaluation of a White person for their labor.

Edited by Ufuk_Surekli ()

posting rn to meet and mingle with other nerds, please dm or add on facebook
https://thecharnelhouse.org/2017/05/15/dont-bother-reading-settlers-by-j-sakai/

J. Sakai’s 1983 screed Set­tlers: The Myth­o­logy of the White Pro­let­ari­at has been mak­ing the rounds again lately. Pre­sum­ably be­cause it of­fers a readymade ex­plan­a­tion for why the so-called “white work­ing class” voted for Trump en bloc, a premise which is it­self de­bat­able. Rhizzo­ne.net, an on­line mes­sage board where shit-tier Maoist Third Worldists and oth­er ran­dom nerds can meet and mingle, spear­headed the ini­ti­at­ive to re­launch Read­Set­tlers.org amidst the 2016 US Pres­id­en­tial elec­tion. You can fol­low the #read­set­tlers hasht­ag on Twit­ter, and there’s even been a tumblr ded­ic­ated to the in­junc­tion.

http://readsettlers.tumblr.com/post/160715645492/westfriend-veronox-it-be-like-this-sometimes

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

It's cool how every criticism listed in that article is about the "vibe" of settlers. It's too "essentialist" or "narrow" or it feels like "utter falsehood". At no point does this clown or any of those other clowns offer a single substantial criticism. The guy makes the point of saying nobody has been bothered to do a point by point analysis, which needs to be done.....and then doesn't do that. What a pack of useless cunts.
since he didn't approve my comment imma leave it here

Crow posted:

https://i.imgflip.com/1p5dcz.jpg

Crows shall die but Crow shall not.

get in here ross wolfe and fight us,
s-senpai noticed us..
i'm happy this Trot blogger got mad in his tummy because of collaborative hard work by people on this the forums Rhizzone, and regret only that i was not one of them. let's build our practice to the highest mountaintops and deliver third-level super combos against liberalism everywhere, also hi Crow.
imo it's worth mentioning that Trots probably despise and denounce J. Sakai not just because of his point of view on labor aristocracy, but because his work promoting security among political action groups has contributed to everyone telling every Trot entryist group to fuck off immediately. Trots read something like "Basic Politics of Movement Security" and know very well that it undermines their LARP game.

Gibbonstrength posted:

It's cool how every criticism listed in that article is about the "vibe" of settlers. It's too "essentialist" or "narrow" or it feels like "utter falsehood". At no point does this clown or any of those other clowns offer a single substantial criticism. The guy makes the point of saying nobody has been bothered to do a point by point analysis, which needs to be done.....and then doesn't do that. What a pack of useless cunts.

The only structural criticism of the book regards Sakai not engaging in self-reflexive anthro-type methodology bullshit i.e. summarizing your narrative into a meta-narrative as part of the pageantry of academic objectivity, which serves as a gatekeeping mechanism to people like Sakai publishing anything to begin with. They're mad that he bootstrapped himself past the bourgeois beiging of Marxism, in a nutshell. That's the psychological beef at play.

I mean, he's not an idiot in a technical sense, so he's capable of nitpicking shit like this:

To provide just one ex­ample of Sakai’s shoddy his­tor­ic­al re­search, he writes on page 53 of Set­tlers: “The pro-im­per­i­al­ist labor ar­is­to­cracy — which in 1914 Len­in es­tim­ated at roughly 20% of the Ger­man work­ing class — were the lead­ers of the Ger­man trade-uni­ons, the ‘so­cial­ist’ party, etc.” Un­sur­pris­ingly, no men­tion is made of what text Len­in sup­posedly made this es­tim­a­tion in (much less a cita­tion). I have scoured through all of Len­in’s writ­ings and have yet to find any­where he claims twenty per­cent of the Ger­man work­ing class be­longed to the “labor ar­is­to­cracy.” Neither in 1914 nor in any oth­er year.

A citation is indeed missing - I think yall already observed and suggested a project for that sort of thing. But overall he's ideologically incapable of dealing with incredibly simple concepts:

The “labor ar­is­to­cracy” thes­is first ad­vanced by En­gels dur­ing the 1890s and then ex­pan­ded upon by Len­in between 1905 and 1922 has already been chal­lenged con­vin­cingly by writers such as Charles Post and or­gan­iz­a­tions like the In­ter­na­tion­al Com­mun­ist Cur­rent as first “a myth” and then “a so­ci­olo­gic­al the­ory to di­vide the work­ing class.” Even grant­ing some an­ec­dot­al valid­ity to the ob­ser­va­tion that there’s an elite strat­um of skilled laborers — who, to use Len­in’s meta­phor, “fight for the scraps that fall off the im­per­i­al­ist ta­ble” — there’s no em­pir­ic­al ground­ing of the thes­is. Mostly it’s just a post-hoc ra­tion­al­iz­a­tion of work­ing class re­form­ism and de­feat.

^seriously

Labor aristocracy is one of those things you can explain to a normal person in under a minute and Wolfe et al act as though capitalism can only be analyzed as some rigid caste system shit or something. Which is part of the elasticity of capitalism, that the /role/ of the labor itself becomes functionally disengaged in relation to captured income, given capital's decoupling of administrative roles and property ownership. He's interacting with capitalism as though it were feudalism, frankly. It's not accounting for betraying your class as a service renderable to capitalist hegemony, or at least for its rendering being, potentially, an exponentially more valuable service undrr capitalism than it would be under feudalism. Something to explore here would be the relation of military vs administrative roles under feudalism vs capitalism, maybe.

Although I guess that's all ambiguous given that property owners with monopoly protection have likely never administrated directly - administrators were possibly even the ur-labor aristocrats. But what I'm trying to address is the inability of Wolfe's analysis to actually account for (vs acknowledge) class mobility within capitalism, and to overlook the fact that different 'laboring' classes have different relative positions from which to reach for petty bourg status. Labor aristocrat as a concept is pretty much equivalent to acting as an internal comprador.

With that stated, from my perspective, Wolfe, as an academic careerist, qualifies for such a distinction. There's the potential for a cushy professorship as long as familial support can hold him out, so the ambiguity of his personal interests lead him to a contradictory stated/unstated ideology in which he's positioning himself as open to overthrowing, at the very least, the aesthetic of the current order. Which underlies Trotskyist/ultra ideology in a way that overlaps with right-libertarian worldviews: if there were a cataclysmic upheaval of society that made primitive meritocracy possible, I would rise to the top and seize the means of production, also I'd be just. Revolutionary opportunism.

That in mind, the concept of permanent revolution is only explicable as 'society should be in chaos until I attain warlord status.' Trotskyism is the ethos of anarcho-capitalism tied to a fetishization of the individual ascendence(s) that occurred during the structural upheaval of the Russian Revolution. Basically Trotskyism is the Winkelvoss twins of revolutions.

The medium post in response to Wolfe is semi-incomprehensible to me l, though. Settlers places 'class reductionism' as nothing more than a racist appropriation of Marxist language applied to obscuring a proper class-based analysis, but that connection isn't made in the piece, merely bridged. Whatever, closest thing I've seen to pop analysis managing to synthesize idpol and light Marxist concepts in a workable manner. That essay is more likely to result in someone lighting a bag of dogshit on his doorstep than anything I'll ever write, kudos Merrikat.

this dude is a really awful writer and i think his need to sort of conspicuously "lapse" into conversational shittalking in between his awkward fake intellectual style says everything you need to know about what his politics amount to. it must be hard to both pretend to be a leftist and pretend to be a higher tier of bourgeois parasite at the same time but if anyone can do it its a trot

edit: im a bad writer too, but authentically

Edited by kamelred ()

or notable hay'at tahrir al-sham commander, sam kriss