bump
Remember these Syrian reporters/Jokers?

Had a lucky Escape

Defender of Deir ez zor issam zahreddine was martyred

Also Syria apparently hit an Israeli F35 with its 1960s S200 missiles
rip

At least he lived to see the siege lifted.
Very inspiring guy alright

http://en.rnp-f.org/2015/03/24/pkk-and-imperialism/#

Contacts with the Turkish authorities and the United States that led to progress in the Turkish-Kurdish conflict were already being held. It is speculated that Öcalan was offered kind of autonomy in Turkey, as well as a significant role in the political life of Iraqi (and later Syrian) Kurdistan, after the invasion of Iraq, which the Americans planned in early 2000. All this, of course, provided that the PKK disarm, renounce Marxism-Leninism and the goal of an independent state on the territory of Turkey. The first publication of contacts and cooperation involving the PKK and the MIT-TV (Turkish secret police) was published by the journalist Ugur Mumcu, who sadly paid for that matter with his life, and his executors have never been found.

During the first few years of captivity Öcalan developed his theory of “Democratic Federalism” in details , based on the works of Murray Bookchin and his “Libertarian Municipalism” model. This emerging structure aims not at eliminating private property nor the abolition of classes, and the fact that the tribal system remains, and that the tribal leaders are involved in the administration shows that the goal is not to eliminate feudal and capitalist relations of production, but instead “building a democratic nation.”
would one of the mods please re-sticky this thread

cars posted:

Petrol posted:

cars posted:

For some reason the moderation around here has really gone to shit. It's like a farce of a disaster if absolutely nobody was at the wheel. I am now accepting paypal to begin my independent review of analyzing the possible causes of this severe drop in moderator effectiveness.

damn those new mods for travelling back in time and unstickying this thread!!!!!!
sticky re-instated. hands off syria.

swampman posted:

For some reason the moderation around here has really gone to shit. It's like a farce of a disaster if absolutely nobody was at the wheel. I am now accepting paypal to begin my independent review of analyzing the possible causes of this severe drop in moderator effectiveness.

as part of the previous regime, you either unstickied this thread yourself or let it remain that way for months

under the new regime i will create a new thread for every judas priest song (from stained class through to painkiller) and sticky them all
[account deactivated]
pretty sure he just hit on her and then treated her like shit after she rejected him. whoulda thunk von trier has an issue with women
[account deactivated]
don't think i ever finished that one. *shudder*

melancholia is a legitimate masterpiece tho

tpaine posted:

i know i seen dogville o_o

my ex got really mad when i turned it off during the third rape scene and maybe i should have realized that was an issue but whelp thats being a stupid 20-something for you

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

wasn't the whole movie a rape scene, i can't remember

?? I haven't seen past the part where they are driving around santa monica bombing in to empty swimming pools, it felt pretty upbeat until then..

[account deactivated]
it was fairly chill when lars von trier said that he understood hitler and the people at cannes lost their minds
classic

oh god thats awkward as hell
So recent events, such as the Saudi purges and their forced resignation of the Lebanese puppet Hairi, and Isreali-American saber rattling, are looking like the Empire is planning one last attempt at breaking the Iranian power bloc in the Middle East by fomenting a conflict in Lebanon against Hezbollah.

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/237517-al-sabhan-calls-for-toppling-hizbullah-promises-astonishing-developments

The Amerikan empire has lost in Syria, with the eastern salafi principality ceasing to exist by New Years, and the western salafi principality in Idlib having been completely neutered after Aleppo and Hama and will probably be more or less liquidated, along with the major pockets, by 2019. All this is assuming conflict doesn't break out with the empire's proxies in the north.
i mean I hope but predictions of what will happen in a war "by" 14 months from now ehh

E: the cult built up around the "Syrian Revolution" seems to me to parallel that of Hillary Clinton in its diehard intensity and weirdness

Will be interesting to see how much of that drops out as the funding dries up

Edited by xipe ()

how did they forget "neocon think tanker on gulf state payroll"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/syria-paris-agreement-us-climate-change-donald-trump-world-country-accord-a8041996.html

with Syria ratifying the Climate Accord it might encourage the "ecological revolution" in the North East to put away their hummers and pack up the dozen illegal military bases of the world's #1 polluter the US army

Syrian, Iraqi & Allied forces liberated the last ISIS town together, ending the "caliphate"
oh it was already posted in the yemen thread lol

kinch posted:

oh it was already posted in the yemen thread lol

Yeah. That whole area is one big area.

A former Syrian diplomat who now lectures at an American university is being tarred as a war criminal and genocide denier by UN Watch, which is as far as I can tell a Zionist propaganda group that postures as neutral but calls out when the UN is "unfair" to Israel. They're calling for him to be fired/deported, but I don't think this is something with the backing of any students or student groups really. But the story has gotten play in some of the local/NY news stations.

https://www.unwatch.org/u-s-deport-rutgers-prof-represented-syria-aiding-genocide/

If it were to escalate it would seem to me an important opportunity to counter the imperial narrative about Syria, or at least expose the hypocrisy of Zionists with respect to "human rights" and "genocide" on this issue. How would one do that hypothetically.

mediumpig posted:

UN Watch, which is as far as I can tell a Zionist propaganda group

it is yeah... it's odd to me to spell this out, but that's because i'm so old that it's also odd to me that the earlier media facade maintained by Tel Aviv has been dropped so completely in recent years... the United Nations image war is something that goes back decades because the General Assembly passed (and still passes) resolutions against murder and oppression of Palestinians constantly with massive numbers of delegates voting for them, and the Security Council is there in large part of course to protect Western client states from any sort of real impact of global outrage.

A lot of countries' delegates and their governments have probably felt safe voting for those resolutions because of the guarantee that they'll be toothless and they'd never face retaliation from the U.S. over the vote, though probably a majority of those delegates would vote that way regardless, because among other things it's a solid way for governments doing nothing to help Palestine to get good headlines in news sources their supporters read, and one thing that's worthwhile to remember is that every country's government, of every sort, needs to muster support from at least certain large and influential sectors of the country's population to survive. The U.S. client states in the Arab world, for instance, depend heavily on maintaining a dual image among certain people in their countries as both Western-friendly champions of development and as under-siege defenders of Palestine against Israel.

Regardless, those UN votes, the worldwide news coverage of them and the ridiculous numbers of countries registering repeated condemnation of Tel Aviv's policy had been some of the worst optics over those previous decades for the Knesset's leading political parties, which up until recently spent tons of cash and hours every year maintaining the image of the government as torn, conflicted, humanitarian, merciful, etc. in their oppression of Palestine. So one of the places you saw dovetailing between pro-occupation fanatics, Bircher paranoiacs and "cut spending" business conservatives in the U.S. was over combating the at least mildly bad press of these United Nations resolutions passing year after year, with a whole miniature industry within the Zionist lobby springing up around it.

Over the last decade though since Kadima rose and fell (a centrist compromise party built on the legacy of the rape of Lebanon) it's been a major flip of the script to this faux butch who gives a fuck image in the news from the government, with Netanyahu dropping even the thin veil of pretense toward human-rights concerns he'd assumed in earlier times and often neglecting even to use the long-standing conventions of such language, and of course that only encourages more atrocities, though it's not like they were scarce even back when Labor was in power either.

Now most of the "humanitarian" propaganda coups come out of occasional cherry picking or toothless court decisions, and the propaganda is mostly directed inward at the legally recognized/favored population of the occupying country through Haaretz and similar venues, even as opinion polls show that the angling away from the humanitarian language has a ton of support among those voters. It makes stuff like UN Watch seem almost quaint, though the money hasn't dried up.

I think most on this forum would still read that last post and be like "well doy, duh" but one of the things i find interesting in a bad way is how even slightly older people in the U.S. who were/are involved in the issue in those earlier years tend to take all of that stuff for granted and assume that younger people still live in that world and know all about the history of it and so on. But there are a lot more ways for this stuff to crest in someone's political life nowadays than checking out all the Chomsky books carried by your local library, and there really has been a conservation of energy recently, and I assume resources, that used to get burned on keeping up the image of the occupation as primarily this horrible guilt & trauma experience for the occupiers, sullying their morals a la Heart of Darkness. Now it's like, hell it's rad to shoot families and knock over houses and be an ethnonationalist pretty much, that behavior is not played off as desperate measures anymore.

it's also probably important that naive liberal faith in the UN has declined as well which makes it just less of a bang for your buck trying to slag them.
[account deactivated]
Just saw this retweet come by... pretty funny