damn. did kim jong un write that article? it fat

tears posted:

129 maoist reasons why i was right to go in swinging at this bloggers book launch, you wont believe reason number 69

holy shit thought this was a humorous hyperbole then i looked and the article actually is a 129 point list. what is reality

[account deactivated]
Q: how many canadian maoists does it take to change a lighbulb
A: The true continuators of the PCR-RCP comndemn to the utmost this attempt by dengist opportunist anti-party elements of the Liu Shaoqi type to ascertain our numbers to the benefit of only the canadian and world bourgioisie and the great detrement to the proletariat of canada and the world. We must also take here a few minutes to outline the perfidious nature of these anti party elements and to dispel their opportunist and ultra-rightist lies about how best to change a lightbulb. In direct contradiction to these elements we resolutly stand by the words of chairman mao that it is the masses that change the lightbulb, led by the proletarian vanguard party of the maoist type. Furthermore, {Skip to page: 1, 2, 3, ... 543, 544, 545}

Gssh posted:

babyhueypnewton posted:

The thing on proletarian feminism is worth reading though.

I'm a bit confused by this "TERF" beef, this text seems fairly reasonable and certainly difficult to perceive as hostile. Is it mostly a north-amerikan / internet phenomenon?

There are plenty of left trans people in NA who wouldn't be bothered with what's linked imo, i think bhpn is more talking about how a lot of people on the U.S/Canada left who endeavor to be inclusive are still skittish about discussing material bases for the discussion because it's not trendy... yet

the thing i find the weirdest about the thing bhpn posted is the specific lines it draws between their positions and the positions it declares for others. for a lot of them i havent seen them play out in those ways, and it seems like a more coherent way to frame what they were doing would be to at least cite some of the things they were talking about. eg this point:

11. While the radical materialist feminists want to abolish gendered roles established on a socially constructed binary, queer feminist favor the multiplication of categories of persons not covered by gender norms, and therefore the perpetuation of the differentiation that inevitably behind a hierarchy.

ime the abolition of gendered social division of labor as a general goal is not something that acts as a coherent discriminator between what i think the authors would call "queer" vs "radical" feminism. to the extent that these are opposed, the lines do not neatly fall along the axis of materialism vs idealism, which might have been a more clear way to frame the post. (as a side effect it could make an important point. that biological essentialism is actually a form of idealism, more clear, which is something that i thought was an important omission in the article)

c_man posted:

the thing i find the weirdest about the thing bhpn posted is the specific lines it draws between their positions and the positions it declares for others.

yeah the "multiplication of categories" is often thought of by queer folk (my local peers at least, and many critical theorists) as a means towards the end of destroying gendered identity as a tool of exploitation, the fact that capitalist/liberal forces are endeavoring to enshrine them as calcified taxonomies leverageable by empire does not mean that the strategy has failed but instead indicates that it is a valid site of struggle. it is good to be attacked by the enemy blah blah etc

you can contest the validity of that strategy, but it's clear they just didn't bother to understand it at all. how can blog communists simultaneously be so lazy and yet still find all the time to write 18 billion word slap fights over who left the fridge door open? a mystery of our age.

i mean, what the heck would i know, but denouncing a caricature of queer feminism without showing any signs of having engaged with queer feminists irl doesn't seem very materialist to me
ottawa ppl respond. scrolling through there doesn't seem to be anything substantive

https://pcrrcp.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/seek-truth-from-facts-a-reply-to-the-so-called-continuators/

e: oh, there's more context for the queer theory struggle

Edited by marlax78 ()

https://pcrrcp.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/seek-truth-from-facts-a-reply-to-the-so-called-continuators/

Well, here's the reply. It's extremely long and also has very little substance. There appears to be an idea in there that some real lessons can be learned from the 70s new communist movement which can be theorized in the ML/MLM split but it's not developed and when pressed on it I would bet that it would be reduced to incoherent maospeak. In practice I see little difference.
beat you to it

“How can the proletariat acquire a distinct consciousness of the class oppression that afflicts them when for a good number of them, the extraction of surplus-value, in itself, isn’t their biggest worry?” & “after all it is cissexism and transphobia which is at the source of the creation of (bathrooms for women)” are actual quotes from a 98 page essay by one of the anti-montreal ppl.

Edited by marlax78 ()

Petrol posted:

irl

the pcr-rcp blogger hisses in pain as you utter the acronym of his Spirit Bane. roll 12d6 damage and gain a Materialism Token.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
well their mistake is in assuming class consciousness comes from "the worries" of the proletariat, which not only turns class consciousness into a purely "psychological" phenomenon, but presupposes it can emerge without the ability to connect these "worries" in a scientific understanding of their own imminent practice and destiny as a class - i.e. not as atomized individuals - which can only be "acquired" (a wrong term to use) from the production of surplus-value, no?

marlax78 posted:

well their mistake is in assuming class consciousness comes from "the worries" of the proletariat, which not only turns class consciousness into a purely "psychological" phenomenon, but presupposes it can emerge without the ability to connect these "worries" in a scientific understanding of their own imminent practice and destiny as a class - i.e. not as atomized individuals - which can only be "acquired" (a wrong term to use) from the production of surplus-value, no?

also its too long

marlax78 posted:

i would think that the main thing that a maoist organizing in the first world would be conscious of is that the strata that actually need organization are often lumpenized by internal colonization, and that their most direct concerns, as a class, are more along the lines of resisting the occupation rather than the simply the wage relation (although that exists as well, but often also in terms of a concomitant property relation or other coercion)

[account deactivated]

glomper_stomper posted:

is there a secret third line that's actually good and not incoherent garbage

yes

Petrol posted:

i mean, what the heck would i know, but denouncing a caricature of queer feminism without showing any signs of having engaged with queer feminists irl doesn't seem very materialist to me

i dont read that there, i mean they might be wrong, that's another question, but the engagement seems to be real

yeah idk mate it kinda seemed like "materialist feminists drive like THIS, queer feminists drive like THIS" for about a thousand pages with no indication of having spoken to a queer feminist irl. but maybe my eyes just glazed over trying to wade through all those words and i started seeing things.

cars posted:

i dont read that there, i mean they might be wrong, that's another question, but the engagement seems to be real

engagement with who? a big textbook called "queer feminism" that contains the Definitive Edition? at least when DSA types blame "tumblr" for nazis they at least make the effort to browse stormfront for memes that make it seem like they did some research. there's no reference anywhere to anything that would connect all of the numbered assertions about "queer feminism" to anything any person has actually said, let alone any reason why it should be taken as representative of anything.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
thought the problem was the value-utils gap ?
materialism means seeing society as p=np
thought materialism ment loving shopping, have i been doing this wrong?

c_man posted:

engagement with who? a big textbook called "queer feminism" that contains the Definitive Edition? at least when DSA types blame "tumblr" for nazis they at least make the effort to browse stormfront for memes that make it seem like they did some research. there's no reference anywhere to anything that would connect all of the numbered assertions about "queer feminism" to anything any person has actually said, let alone any reason why it should be taken as representative of anything.

i'm not going to speculate on the personal relationships of someone I don't know i guess.

[account deactivated]

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

tears posted:

Well yes, Cope's thesis lining up with Trump's analysis of the American economy is something you still need to cope with

what does this mean

[account deactivated]
https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/21/14952294/what-does-it-do-thats-the-beauty-of-it-movie-quote-source
[account deactivated]
but WHAT excatly were you referencing, is the point. I actually thought it was seinfeld
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

tears posted:

Well yes, Cope's thesis lining up with Trump's analysis of the American economy is something you still need to cope with

what does this mean

Well look, Cope's thesis lining up with Trump's analysis of the American economy is something you still need to cope with

stegosaurus posted:

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

tears posted:

what does this mean

i don't think i've understood a single thing that guy has posted

unless trump saying 'americas great baby, i love american workers' is the same as cope saying 'the reactionary labor aristocracy of the core gets the leadership it wants' i dont really understand. or has trump said somewhere 'value transfer. lets talk about it. i love it. when i'm president we will suck so much value from the periphery we wont even know what to do with it. we will be the best on parasitism. i promise'
he did say stuff like this openly which is a nice change from the disingenuous kerry type posture

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/21/donald-trump-iraq-war-oil-strategy-seizure-isis
thread for discussing the incomprehensible and meaningless posts of AZ_IZ_OT