Nosferatu, Phantom der Nacht
Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust
Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack
The Shallows
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

the thing (1982) is the best horror movie

shriekingviolet posted:

The Witch really shot itself in the foot marketing itself as a horror movie, which sets up wrong expectations that make people hate it. It's a really excellent film as just a straight up drama about how puritans were shitty people and catastrophically bad at life, the madness embedded bone deep into settler culture, and some bonus atmosphere as a garnish.

its a horror movie, just not the 'a ghost jumps out and scares you' kind

roseweird posted:

In the blood of your sons, and the sons of their sons, I will continue to live, immortal! They will restore to me the life you now rob from me! I shall return to torment and destroy throughout the nights of time!

Ralph Ineson rules
I like a the Black christmas
for a few weeks in high school I dated a young woman who wanted me to call her up and talk like the killer from Scream. i hope shes doing well
[account deactivated]
we gotta burn the rest of em
i like a the Carnival of Souls
[account deactivated]
Alien is good. Frankenstein is good. Godzilla is a horror movie, and it is good
[account deactivated]
an American werewolf in London is good. The Seventh Victim is ghood. The Haunting is good
herzog's nosferatu is good
the blair witch project. the brilliant guerrilla marketing, the simple yet evocative mythology, the shooting process, and the cultural frenzy that it produced always take me right back to the late 90's

it probably wouldn't hold up to someone who watched it for the first time now but it carries a specific context in my life that makes me really fucking love it
big fan of Roger Ebert's review of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre where he's like... this is a well made movie and it's well acted and it does what it set out to do well which is my whole thing as Roger Ebert I guess but I still don't understand why anyone made it so 2/4 stars
He was good rip.
this movie is truly disgusting
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Carnival of souls is good for the failsons of today because it's about a woman who is dead or losing her mind and she is trying frantically to find something to hold onto so she won't feel so alone, then she meets a guy whose whole life is a desperate performance of hard luck sleaze and she's like ok somehow this is even worse

tpaine posted:

i wouldn't put alien with the thing.

Alien and Thing are both truly great and they deserve elevation over the gutter that is horror imho

swampman posted:

this movie is truly disgusting

i liked the book even though it eventually turned into that Junji Ito thing where once a story goes past a certain length he doesn’t seem to know where to take it and it kind of fizzles out. but overall a good book about how falling in love with people means loving their bodies but then everyone’s body becomes nauseating sometimes

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
someone had me watch that movie with Rob Corddry in it about the cute zombie boy who meets a nice young woman and slowly learns how not to be a zombie by listening to records and that movie is the anti Gyo and it must be destroyed
Them! is not very good or a horror movie but it’s fun to watch because it demonstrates that Aliens was made by James Cameron taking all the scenes from a 30 year old B movie and rearranging them in random order.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Them! also has a scene where the U.S. government is like okay human extinction is about to happen, we need to finally tell everyone what happened and get on the phone with Moscow. and the hero establishment academic scientists are like what the fuck? no just keep lying to everyone and painting all the witnesses as lunatics so we can commit them until we quietly erase this mistake from history. and Washington’s like okay we’ll play it your way. it’s also a militantly anti nuke movie and has all of the 80s action movie woman vs. woman pseudo feminism of Aliens right down to the same human queen / bug queen stuff but it came out in 1954, it’s so weird
Tetsuo the iron man is good
toyotathon you upvoted my post on Them! so please watch that movie some time and tell me if I’m taking crazy pills or if every 10 minutes you think, this scene is also in Aliens and James Cameron is a literal criminal
[account deactivated]
you evah hear of a fence for HOT SUGAH
tpaine with some awesome movie opinions itt. the thing is the greatest horror movie, and they live has one of the best visual critiques of capitalism ever, as well as one of the best ever knock-down fights and some of the greatest lines. "i'm giving you a choice; either put on these glasses...or start eating that trash can".
i've said it before, but the thing is the greatest because there isn't a single stupid character, or stretch your believeness mistake that takes you out of the movie because "i'd never do that".
The Thing is the greatest movie of all time because a lonely dog goes to camp and makes friends with some scientist pals. what a good dog.