[account deactivated]
Why does my post need to declare their gender
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Ok, as a hobby that makes sense. It sounded like you were trying to do it to make money and I didn't want you to have your hopes of eating food on something like this.

The old japanese standards are the typical bike people think about for this but I would recommend against that. Their prices are stupidly inflated because of every hipster douchbag trying to make the next worst "cafe racer" abomination. Also they were shit to work on and may be impossible to find parts for. Sometimes Honda did undocumented changes within a model year, so you may not even know exactly what bike you're trying to get parts for, for example.

If you can get a gently wrecked '88-'08 ninja 250 that's probably the best possible option for a first project into street bike. Unless you're tall, in which case look for a 250 dual sport and build a supermoto, which is the bike Stalin would ride if he came back and wanted to ride a motorcycle, which he obviously would.
[account deactivated]

MarxUltor posted:

Unless you're tall ... the bike Stalin would ride

[account deactivated]
what bike is it?
[account deactivated]
i'm thinking of building one of these soon because apparently ebay is full of frighteningly cheap knockoffs

[account deactivated]
i prefer a more elegant and dignified style to my deathtraps
Let's all open small businesses in remodeling, appliance repair, auto body and facilities maintenance
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

stegosaurus posted:

Let's all open small businesses in remodeling, appliance repair, auto body and facilities maintenance

marxultor was right that i really don't have the resources to do work on old bikes, which is a shame, but i think in the summer, or maybe earlier if i can find time in spring, i'm going to take some votech courses in mechanics to supplement my engineering education.

talking to the guy who sold me this bike really solidified the importance of learning practical trade skills alongside engineering... at least a decade's worth of engineering education, and he's basically management. when i tried to tell him i was interested in votech courses he thought i was talking about mech engr courses with lab components.

yeah it's a constant complaint from electricians that electrical engineers have no idea how buildings are actually wired.

[account deactivated]
make sure you learn how to wheelie
[account deactivated]
Cyclists in portland actually obey all the traffic laws, it's fucking absurd, extremely stupid!!! crazy!! For real what is the point
Maybe its a silent white nationalist protest like, we can afford to do things in a backwartds and inefficient self-hating way as long as it makes black peoples lives even harder
to shave 5 minutes off my commute I go through a forested area for about 150 m. It's so dark I can't even see my friggin hands. Fortunately it's straight so I just ride on through. it freaks me the fuck out. way too spooky. but what a rush!
Damn that's a fantastic bike roseweird. And yes it will wheelie, but only with effort.

I wouldn't worry at all about the low oil, as long as there was any in there. Sometimes I check mine and find out a quart is missing, I refill it and everything continues being fine. It's a honda, and a commuter bike, it's designed for reliability. Change it asap obviously but its not gonna grenade the engine.

[account deactivated]
Well its a lot harder to get a whole quart of nanolubricants together bc they're so small

stegosaurus posted:

yeah it's a constant complaint from electricians that electrical engineers have no idea how buildings are actually wired.

this is true

swampman posted:

Cyclists in portland actually obey all the traffic laws, it's fucking absurd, extremely stupid!!! crazy!! For real what is the point

here in sf cops started to give cyclists tickets for running stop signs so a bunch of people held a protest where a huge line of cyclists slowed down and stopped for each stop sign which completely clogged up the streets and gridlocked the cars completely it was hilarious lol

anyway i finally read this thread and it turns out swampman is apparently pretty cool and i want to be his friend
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
how do you keep so trim
rosewierd is actually solid bone
tom fought long and hard to eradicate fatshaming from the rhizzone, please apologize or be ifap'd
tom only succeeded in eradicating fatshaming from the rhizzone by removing his tremendous bulk from it.
be careful roseweird and always wear a helmet!