[account deactivated]
shoulda ghost wrote it ninja
[account deactivated]
"Like the traditional anti-nuclear movement, the traditional anti-base movement is rapidly aging. Protesters tend to use the same tactics they did back in the 1960s — which turns off younger Okinawans and mainland Japanese who move to Okinawa. “I think young people come to places where they can participate, feel respected and have fun, not to places where they have to listen to boring speeches of old people one after the other,” Norimatsu says. “In this regard, I don’t see much difference between Okinawa and mainland Japan.”

"While police in any country monitor public protests, peer pressure in Japan and the provisions of the new state secrets law encourage citizens to remain passive — at least when it comes to protest that the status quo does not openly or tacitly approve.

“Japanese have a weakness against the establishment, authority and the bureaucracy,” Norimitsu says. “Anything they think is ‘above’ or ‘beyond’ them is the biggest obstacle to effective civil protest and engagement. Japan does not need an education system that tells students how to behave; what students need is a class on ‘citizenship’ — namely, how to be an engaged, responsible and empowered citizen. I believe that includes the ability to stand up and protest.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/12/20/general/public-protest-japan-power-people/#.VKWr7SvF8y1

Two sides of the same problem.
it says japan but i could have sworn the article was talking about the US left. rapidly aging people doing the same shit since the 60s...
hi mustang
i am not a car

Urbandale posted:

it says japan but i could have sworn the article was talking about the US left. rapidly aging people doing the same shit since the 60s...

The combination among the younger crowd of a reflexive deference to established powers with a need to "participate".....

In a completely separate development, the Japanese far right is doing well for itself.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2013/0712/Rising-hate-speech-in-Japan-has-even-some-on-far-right-saying-enough

http://world.time.com/2014/02/13/toshio-tamogami-japanese-right/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/world/asia/hokusei-gakuen-university-retains-takashi-uemura-in-japan.html

Urbandale posted:

this is a gross and offensive oversimplification, but the modern japanese society is very much a product of invasive and strategic political experimentation and social conditioning instituted through post-war US imposed policies, which has been chillingly successful at most of its goals, and shows some uncannily weird parallels if you squint. colonial acquisitions are the test laboratories of imperial power

wasnt that the purpose behind a different fissionable material being used in both bombs as well? could just be bullshit i picked up but

Urbandale posted:

wasnt that the purpose behind a different fissionable material being used in both bombs as well? could just be bullshit i picked up but

how do you mean? there are a lot of things that went on around the bombs.

someone set up us the bomb
like it's obvious to any student of history who isn't blind stupid and has actually looked at primary source materials (so none of them lmao) that the bombs were 100% pure show of force to declare to the world that the US wasn't fucking around, the japanese had already given terms of surrender to the US through backchannels which washington totally rejected, iirc after the bombs fell the final end terms of the agreement were almost completely identical to the originally rejected proposal

the western liberal outer fringe will sometimes sheepishly suggest that the americans had extra "ulterior motive" to use the bombs on a city population in order to obtain more applicable hard data on their effectiveness, but that's just an excuse to ideologically waffle around the plain fact that the US is a murderous empire crushing the world under its heel that established itself through brute intimidation, like they all do. it's the fucking atomic bomb, they knew exactly what it was capable of.

not sure if that has anything to do with what you were askin about
also iirc (i've never been myself) this is stated in plain terms on some monuments to the victims of the bombs and it never fails to drive visiting americans into an incoherent racist rage
wow, this really is a better forum when mustang is allowed to post.
idk in my high school history class we learned that the US had already received surrender etc and that the bombs were dropped because the US was worried about soviet incursions into manchuria
while in my history class, they assured us that the japanese civil society would likely be strong enough to survive the upcoming bombings, although we all expected it would be tokyo that would go first. still, this turned out to be largely correct and so i guess sometimes public schools really are worth the high teacher salaries and waste.
wanna join his org

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25811535
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30667294

shriekingviolet posted:

like it's obvious to any student of history who isn't blind stupid and has actually looked at primary source materials (so none of them lmao) that the bombs were 100% pure show of force to declare to the world that the US wasn't fucking around, the japanese had already given terms of surrender to the US through backchannels which washington totally rejected, iirc after the bombs fell the final end terms of the agreement were almost completely identical to the originally rejected proposal

the western liberal outer fringe will sometimes sheepishly suggest that the americans had extra "ulterior motive" to use the bombs on a city population in order to obtain more applicable hard data on their effectiveness, but that's just an excuse to ideologically waffle around the plain fact that the US is a murderous empire crushing the world under its heel that established itself through brute intimidation, like they all do. it's the fucking atomic bomb, they knew exactly what it was capable of.

not sure if that has anything to do with what you were askin about

all but but you forgot one thing

stalin

At first glance, Marxism and Islam seem to be opposites. Marxist countries persecute Muslims and Islamic countries persecute Marxists. But on the international level, they are united in their struggle against Israel and freedom.
[account deactivated]
Let's Unite in a Struggle Against Israel and Freedom ~CPC-ML-Con 2015

Panopticon posted:

At first glance, Marxism and Islam seem to be opposites. Marxist countries persecute Muslims and Islamic countries persecute Marxists. But on the international level, they are united in their struggle against Israel and freedom.

the prologue to my dream where i am kidnapped by isis but end up befriending them in a mad frenzy of cultural exchange involving immortal technique songs and a few games of guesstures

shriekingviolet posted:

i had heard that the use of two different fissionable materials in the bombs was done specifically for the medical testing that the US forced Japan into post-surrender. this is quite possibly bullshit, but i could believe it precisely because the US is, like you said, a murderous empire.

i'd buy that for a dollar.
Post-war Japan would be a living laboratory for nuclear weapons development and that was one of the primary motives behind the Americans' global nuclear terror campaign. they thought they had an accurate timeline of what would happen next, but they didn't actually have any empirical data on what each bomb would do in the field in a real city. the second bomb was dropped to gather data and i don't trust secondary sources that don't at least mention it in passing.

i have a hard time imagining a situation where the u.s. policymakers discussed which bomb to drop in terms of their desire to test immediate effects, which definitely happened, and then get to like T+1 second on their list and stop talking about it because it's rude and immoral to talk about how your bomb will give people cancer. unless you think people in the United States federal government are prudes when they talk about nuclear weapons in private.
From the Berkeley antifa clash today. Someone also put up an empathy tent and it remained empty. Love it.

">April 15, 2017</a>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Throwing cones between two static lines when antifa outnumber 3-1 is decidedly unsexy
lol at the shirtless dude swinging punches in midair above an upturned wheelie bin and thumping his chest like I AM TRASH MAN!! IM PUNCH!!!
[account deactivated]
Eh just ask around to find who's doing membership imo, that's what I did. Then you avoid wierdness. Or email the branch itself

toyotathon posted:

may be im paranoid but i'm slowly joining PSL and a kind of weird dude insisted i put my name and number in his phone, i started to then made up some excuse to not, and he was like 'okay maybe i'll get it from you later then or from someone else'. like i said i'm probably paranoid maybe that's normal i dunno.

I wouldn't let a comment like that slide, personally. I don't presume to tell you to rock the boat inappropriately but you should mention that to someone else in the org.

that's not paranoid. talk to someone about it. if it turns out to be nothing you haven't hurt anyone by mentioning it.
[account deactivated]
damn cant a guy try to make friends anymore

spectralmarx posted:

Berkeley antifa clash today.

amerikkkan gladiators 2017

Themselves posted:

damn cant a guy try to make friends anymore

Yes but not by scraping sign up sheets for an individual's contact info

what do you folks think of ainfos.ca? Is it alive or a force to reckon with?