[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Khan, a member of AQAP, co-edited the group’s slick English-language Internet magazine, Inspire, which was intended to recruit Westerners to al-Qaeda’s fold. Aulaqi was also believed to have played a role in creating the online-only magazine, whose first issue in July 2010 included an article titled “Making a bomb in the kitchen of your mom.” Khan, a Saudi-born U.S. citizen raised in Queens, N.Y., and Charlotte, traveled to Yemen to join AQAP and likely operated under Aulaqi’s direction, terrorism experts have said.

not trying to be a guy who says us constitutional law is the alpha and omega of what is good and bad but

SCOTUS posted:
The Act punishes persons who "advocate or teach the duty, necessity, or propriety" of violence "as a means of accomplishing industrial or political reform"; or who publish or circulate or display any book or paper containing such advocacy; or who "justify" the commission of violent acts "with intent to exemplify, spread or advocate the propriety of the doctrines of criminal syndicalism"; or who "voluntarily assemble" with a group formed "to teach or advocate the doctrines of criminal syndicalism."

Neither the indictment nor the trial judge's instructions to the jury in any way refined the statute's bald definition of the crime in terms of mere advocacy not distinguished from incitement to imminent lawless action. Accordingly, we are here confronted with a statute which, by its own words and as applied, purports to punish mere advocacy and to forbid, on pain of criminal punishment, assembly with others merely to advocate the described type of action. Such a statute falls within the condemnation of the First and Fourteenth Amendments.

[account deactivated]
i don't have a problem with this.
i'm feelin that spirit of '69

xipe posted:

are you seriously comparing awlaki to fred hampton

babyfinland posted:

xipe posted:

are you seriously comparing awlaki to fred hampton

i was considering more the actions of the us federal gov, but yes they were both anti-american extremists

[account deactivated]
i wish i was on the world newsdesk at work so i could describe terrorist/insurgent attacks as "extrajudicial executions"
[account deactivated]
Imagine some guy, call him Heinrich Traitor, decides to work for the Nazis. So he gets into Germany and eventually works his way up to helping Hitler himself. So him and Hitler are taking a convoy ride to a secret lair. Allied intelligence picks up on this and decides to bomb the convoy. "Wait!" Discipline appears from a electrical storm, having time traveled to prevent the attack. "It would be an extrajudicial execution! You gotta arrest Heinrich Traitor under US law! Don't kill Hitler!" I rest my case. Case closed.
two problems with that:
- i've never seen anything besides the vaguest of allegations that al-Aulaqi did anything besides give sermons saying attacks on americans/westerners are justified, which depending on your definition of "imminent" is protected speech
- the problem you described was never an issue in the past b/c americans who went over to teh enemy had their citizenship stripped via a legal adjudication. obama could have done that, but didn't (prolly because he didn't have any evidence that wasn't obtained under torture)

getfiscal posted:
Imagine some guy, call him Heinrich Traitor, decides to work for the Nazis. So he gets into Germany and eventually works his way up to helping Hitler himself. So him and Hitler are taking a convoy ride to a secret lair. Allied intelligence picks up on this and decides to bomb the convoy. "Wait!" Discipline appears from a electrical storm, having time traveled to prevent the attack. "It would be an extrajudicial execution! You gotta arrest Heinrich Traitor under US law! Don't kill Hitler!" I rest my case. Case closed.

are you saying muslims are nazis?

cause that makes perfect sense imo.

oh and nazi germany posed an actual existential threat to something other than american occupations and cheap oil

thirdplace posted:
two problems with that:
- i've never seen anything besides the vaguest of allegations that al-Aulaqi did anything besides give sermons saying attacks on americans/westerners are justified, which depending on your definition of "imminent" is protected speech
- the problem you described was never an issue in the past b/c americans who went over to teh enemy had their citizenship stripped via a legal adjudication. obama could have done that, but didn't (prolly because he didn't have any evidence that wasn't obtained under torture)

actually my scenario works just as well if the guy was innocent. you've got a chance to kill hitler, do you not do it because he's talking to an american pow at the same time?

thirdplace posted:
oh and nazi germany posed an actual existential threat to something other than american occupations and cheap oil

they both pose a threat to DEMOCRACY bub

getfiscal posted:
thirdplace posted:
two problems with that:

actually my scenario works just as well if the guy was innocent. you've got a chance to kill hitler, do you not do it because he's talking to an american pow at the same time?

but what if WHAT IF he also knew the location of a nuclear bomb that was going to explode in an hour WHAT THEN

holy shit is a nuke going off in an hour?

getfiscal posted:
holy shit is a nuke going off in an hour?

getfiscal ate some hot wings. yes.

[account deactivated]
The poor terrorists.

lungfish posted:
The poor terrorists.

they can assassinate a US citizen, openly, without any legal oversight, whicfh is exactly what i'm gonna do to you

Crow posted:

lungfish posted:
The poor terrorists.

they can assassinate a US citizen, openly, without any legal oversight, whicfh is exactly what i'm gonna do to you

Cool death threat. Mods?

lungfish posted:

Crow posted:

lungfish posted:
The poor terrorists.

Cool death threat. Mods?

Shocking, but true.

They expand the drone strikes to terrorist sympathizers.
[account deactivated]
right now i am watching footage of obama giving the keynote address at the annual dinner of the Human Rights Campaign

jesus christ

e: i mean i know they're an LGBT lobby, but with a name like that you'd think he'd show a little discretion
[account deactivated]
life for the people who make these drones appears to be cynical/unthinking enough to imitate art

[account deactivated]
what did awlaki do again
[account deactivated]
ehhe thats pretty f*cked up. i wrote in my book to destroy a lot of things, including us government, and also celebrating islam. i hope they bomb me
[account deactivated]
i use so much irony that it's tempting to think of it that way, but it's not i guess. i was going to write an article for here called "against irony" or something like that, but i can't get myself to sit down and write a damn essay

Impper posted:
i use so much irony that it's tempting to think of it that way, but it's not i guess. i was going to write an article for here called "against irony" or something like that, but i can't get myself to sit down and write a damn essay

lol youre slowly turning into DFW

ahha, fuck that. fuck that and fUck you
[account deactivated]