Synergy posted:

that reminded me to check the other lf offsite: postplace, and well... it's gone, RIP

some memories

rip. curry carrot and sweetcorn pizza #1

JohnBeige posted:

These people aren't something limited to NYC. Maybe their exact brand is but there's lots of Bernie supporters and squishy 'leftists' (read: white men 20somethings) who are getting increasingly pissed about identity politics

i don't see how liberals remaining mad about identity politics is Strasserism...? Nothing DSA people want corresponds to a rightist working-class platform of mass action, none of it is proletarian at all even in caricature. as for a WWP splinter group, i mean i'd love it if the words "WWP splinter group" corresponded to any substantial number of people but...

they're taking away the Like button on Twitter because the bad people get too many Likes instead of the people with the little company symbol saying they exist. in solidarity please respond to all of my posts with a full quote and the sign of Plus Plus, indicating a plus or up vote.

cars posted:

they're taking away the Like button on Twitter because the bad people get too many Likes instead of the people with the little company symbol saying they exist. in solidarity please respond to all of my posts with a full quote and the sign of Plus Plus, indicating a plus or up vote.

++

cars posted:

a good step in the right direction, now all they need to do is take away the ability to make posts and twitter will be fixed

on the other hand, it is scientific to demand universal franchise to Heart, and even Follow, Donald's memes. The dialectic compels us first to destroy Twitter, then make them give getfiscal a check mark.
you didn't get the whole story

second one's not really him responding btw
who the fuck is the last psychiatrist
I, am an expert on such things,

loudboy posted:

who the fuck is the last psychiatrist

one of the original Mad Online, a blogger who tended to repeat a few decent and a few very poor arguments in a stylish and entertaining way to advance a vague line on culture that could be summarized by the opening credits song from All In the Family. if you run into social media C-list "contrarians" of a certain age who quote Camille Paglia and whose politics resemble hopping from coffee table to couch to loveseat in a suburban living room while telling you The Floor Is Lava, odds are they were once TLP junkies. the podcaster people are talking about is honest about how she derives much of what she says from TLP.

it's also not a total surprise to me that women who used to read TLP avidly get really angry when rapists are outed, because as far as i can tell being part of that group of women online usually involves a lot of projecting their own erotic fantasies of being abused by men, declaring that It's Just So Fucked Up But True that all women secretly enjoy being sexually assaulted and can't help but seek it out, and so on. a personality defined by a self-groomed Electra complex, pretty much. i don't get the appeal, but maintaining that level of stress on purpose probably makes people's day-to-day lives more exciting, if i had to guess.
[account deactivated]
yeah the people i'm talking about would probably ironically watch Handmaid's Tale like they were going to church if it weren't for one big problem: the novel was written by a woman
TLP's writings on narcissism and their specific criticisms of other therapists are interesting. Their style only gets super grating toward the end of the blog. Don't mind the pale blue dot, it's used to having opinions.

cars posted:

second one's not really him responding btw

i have never held any conviction so strongly as my belief that there is no functional difference between jason unruhe and a parody of jason unruhe

lenochodek posted:

the other day i fell down a google hole looking for somewhere to get a war nerd podcast for free and found myself on some alt right messageboard i hadnt heard of before (because they had a chapo thread which is amusing in itself). anyway i clicked around there long enough to see a thread talking about teh maoist rebel and, welp

As a Mistral employee once told me
You're only as good as your fans

swampman posted:

TLP's writings on narcissism and their specific criticisms of other therapists are interesting. Their style only gets super grating toward the end of the blog. Don't mind the pale blue dot, it's used to having opinions.

i was going to be nice and not mention you. oh well.

I liked TLP too but most of it is criticizing people for not making sacrifices necessary for the thing they profess to desire, while himself being dependent on hiding behind a pseudonym so he can write provocations without consequence. This leads to the logic of "all social phenomenon, left and right, is complicit with itself in avoiding change", related to the thesis that its all been captured by capital, shared by ultra-lefts and intellectual strains of fascism. Like his idea that its not a real protest unless they're arming people, then and there,is surprisingly glib about the danger people go through, even if it has the grain of truth that a lot of people are full of it. What's particularly tragic is that he had good ideas but fell into the logic of what he criticized and thereby pointed people in a conservative direction. I guess I still feel ambiguous about it because I'm a pissed off ultra left myself.

marimite posted:

his idea that its not a real protest unless they're arming people, then and there,is surprisingly glib about the danger people go through, even if it has the grain of truth that a lot of people are full of it.

how many protests has he armed. just curious.

I mean my point was that he's an out of touch conservative, if that wasn't clear...

cars posted:

swampman posted:

i was going to be nice and not mention you. oh well.

I don't take your meaning, good sir, as I do not much speak from the corner of my mouth like a freakin police sphinx

[account deactivated]

marimite posted:

I mean my point was that he's an out of touch conservative, if that wasn't clear...

wasn't going aggro on you, just lolleing online

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

I don't take your meaning, good sir, as I do not much speak from the corner of my mouth like a freakin police sphinx

I don't know what the apparent insinuation in your post means either, but in mine I meant that I know you're a TLP fan, and I'd just have to quote, like, anything he wrote to demonstrate that he's a deeply sexist reactionary, but that would be obvious to anyone here who read any of it, and I think it's okay for people to like flawed things so I wasn't going to point people in your direction and paint you with the same brush.

Who’s TLP
[account deactivated]

cars posted:

swampman posted:

I don't know what the apparent insinuation in your post means either, but in mine I meant that I know you're a TLP fan, and I'd just have to quote, like, anything he wrote to demonstrate that he's a deeply sexist reactionary...

I read a few of his essays. You are right that he has some good ideas. I'll admit it took me 4-5 essays to see that he was a deeply sexist reactionary. This was the one where I realized all his talk about 'beta males' and not being a pussy was unironic: https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2013/09/real_men_want_to_drink_guinnes.html

cars posted:

I don't know what the apparent insinuation in your post means either, but in mine I meant that I know you're a TLP fan, and I'd just have to quote, like, anything he wrote to demonstrate that he's a deeply sexist reactionary, but that would be obvious to anyone here who read any of it, and I think it's okay for people to like flawed things so I wasn't going to point people in your direction and paint you with the same brush.

Oh I'm not worried about being associated with TLP, but I appreciate your consideration. Like when you get right down to it, they're not Marxist. But first of all you don't have to particularly like a therapist as a person to see what's valuable about their approach. Second you're bouncing from prosaic to hyperbolic here. I mean, this is simply not sexist or reactionary, or how about this? I get that you're trying to make some kind of point about a podcaster because they're a "TLP fanatic" but I think the issue is more the "fanatic" part because TLP was never good enough to deserve fanatics. Anyway if you want to know what therapist was the best, it was Insoo Kim Berg. RIP.

[account deactivated]
psychiatrists are truly a land of contrasts

swampman posted:

Oh I'm not worried about being associated with TLP, but I appreciate your consideration. Like when you get right down to it, they're not Marxist. But first of all you don't have to particularly like a therapist as a person to see what's valuable about their approach.

Respectively: okay; obviously, and also, okay; I have no idea whether I’d like him as a person or if his approach as a therapist would be valuable, because he’s an anonymous pop-culture blogger. As for the rest of it, again, people here can find what I’m talking about themselves and already have in this thread, the guy isn’t a skilled enough rhetorical gymnast to conceal it even if he tried. It’s fine, though, it takes a lot to get them right when you’re learning the facts of life. I wonder how he’s doing in 2018 and if he went MAGA or killed himself or what.

cars posted:

Respectively: okay; obviously, and also, okay; I have no idea whether I’d like him as a person or if his approach as a therapist would be valuable, because he’s an anonymous pop-culture blogger. As for the rest of it, again, people here can find what I’m talking about themselves and already have in this thread, the guy isn’t a skilled enough rhetorical gymnast to conceal it even if he tried.

What's your point?

Its fun to talk shit sometimes

swampman posted:

What's your point?

I guess to reply to your point, though if you’re no longer sure what it is we can probably stop here.

The post modem is like, I brought up TLP because people were discussing someone open about being a huge TLP freak, and then someone asked who he was so I explained him in a way that made my opinion pretty clear. You responded with a personal attack, and I allowed as how I hadn’t planned on ragging on other posters. You responded with another, passive-aggressive personal attack, and I said I didn’t hold liking TLP against you. You finally responded with substance, mixed with some more pass-agg stuff, and when I responded to the substance, you asked me what was the point of discussing stuff you brought up yourself. I don’t really see the point in continuing that way.
[account deactivated]