Ex-CIA Agent Loses Appeal Against Extradition in Kidnapping Case

A former U.S. Central Intelligence Agency officer living in Portugal lost her final appeal there to avoid going to prison in Italy for her part in a U.S. program that involved kidnapping suspected terrorists and flying them to other countries for interrogation.

Sabrina de Sousa was one of 26 Americans convicted in absentia by Italian courts for the 2003 abduction of an Egyptian imam on a Milan street, an operation ordered by President George W. Bush’s administration. Sentenced to four years in prison, she is believed to be the first American to face imminent punishment for the practice known as extraordinary rendition.

The Rock Says... learn about internal colonialism

what i don't get is, isn't waterboarding in a place like egypt refreshing? i hear it is very hot there.

Ex-CIA spy freed in Portugal, avoids extradition over kidnapping

A former CIA officer convicted of involvement in the 2003 kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric in Italy was released by authorities in Lisbon, Portugal on Wednesday after winning a last-minute reprieve from extradition.

Sabrina de Sousa, a dual U.S.-Portuguese citizen, was waiting at Lisbon airport to be flown to Italy early on Wednesday when word came she was to be released, after Italy's president granted her a partial pardon.

"I'm happy with how this worked out here after two years of having this troubling my mind," a smiling de Sousa told reporters as she left the Judiciary Police headquarters. "But this is not over yet, as I still have the process in Italy, and we have to see how it goes."

In a later telephone interview with Reuters, de Sousa said her Italian lawyer had applied for her to perform three years of community service in Italy as an alternative to jail.

cars posted:

whenever i see something like this or 'beyond scared straight' which clearly depict the torture of children on the basis of race and class i think about that UN kangaroo court thing about DPRK forced labor camps and i very quietly and softly snort and shake my head

Imperialist war on Somalia to escalate

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/10/africa/somali-piracy-attack-spike/index.html

CNN has learned that the United Nations and the United States are investigating at least two pirate kingpins for providing material support to terror groups.

fuck
destined to be 2017's finest empire thread but abandoned because it's all just too depressing
We're also supposed to re-invading Libya now. It seems like the US is pretty desperate to pick on someone, what is that about?
oil

Petrol posted:

destined to be 2017's finest empire thread but abandoned because it's all just too depressing

an empire thread in decline

one thing that's always struck me as strange is how certain regions in us imperial hotbeds seem to take their turns in the news cycle. there is an impression of regularity in how New Syria Event* generally precedes New Venezuela Event, and between them some kind of New Somalia Event or New Libya Event, etc--i guess in a word how these injections of narrative into surface politics give the impression of admitting a certain order

it might be interesting to see if there's any pattern with how frequently these Venezuela Episodes in US reporting appear relative to what's actually occurring in the country in between.

now, this might only really be useful in the lead-up to an election cycle, but it's something i can't help but notice as a kind of coincidental, through-the-looking-glass sort of observation--i certainly don't think that this could be coordinated--but it's interesting how there appears to be a pattern in the coverage of these events that emerges just by the nature of their distribution to the electorate

*carefully screened so as to not correspond to any of the realities on the ground, same for the others
*spinning a giant wheel of fortune marked syria, north korea, libya, x cures/causes cancer, self driving cars, animals, venezuela, ukraine,
that one dude that wEnt crazy proving Tom is CIA was 100% correct. mods?

animedad posted:

that one dude that wEnt crazy proving Tom is CIA was 100% correct. mods?

I offer that one dude total amnesty to the fullest extent of the natural law, and I hope they enjoy amnesty and whatever it might entail

amnesty meaning
hmm yeah that's the downfall of this medium. "you were right" is like a moldy consolation prize
Why are you sayin he was right
from Ralph McGehee, former CIA, c/o Mark Ames, CIA news analysts kept running into a problem—Washington Post and NY Times articles with the exact same text & wording as CIA "intelligence reports":

lmao

cars posted:

lmao

maybe someday your wiki edit will end up supporting a CIA study

c_man posted:

cars posted:

lmao

i was just thinking of the time i troll edited wikipedia and a legit publisher printed it in a book and then i cited the book as the reference for the edit. it's still there so time to put in for a promotion with the agency

"Ahah... Finally.. No more debate & discussion detail for me," cars thinks to himself smiling, walking to the drop location to pick up his new assignment. "Time to really prove myself.. Boss knows I've been eyeing that bin laden resurrection project." He pulls a crumpled piece of paper out from under the trash can and unfurls it. His eyes widen.

FULL COMMUNISM DISCORD

cars posted:

i was just thinking of the time i troll edited wikipedia and a legit publisher printed it in a book and then i cited the book as the reference for the edit. it's still there so time to put in for a promotion with the agency

what was the page? (pm if secret)

cars posted:

c_man posted:

cars posted:

lmao

same but an official virgin music webpage for grace jones

cars posted:

c_man posted:
cars posted:
lmao

nice. ii once read a post identical to this on the byob offsite forum except it was about editing a fake lays flavor onto the lays wikipedia , buzzfeed writing an article about it, then citing the article to protect the fake flavor from deletion on the wiki.

elias posted:

cars posted:

c_man posted:
cars posted:
lmao

nice. ii once read a post identical to this on the byob offsite forum except it was about editing a fake lays flavor onto the lays wikipedia , buzzfeed writing an article about it, then citing the article to protect the fake flavor from deletion on the wiki.

i was reading this old errol morris post at NYT on rumsfeld and the topic of Backpfeifengesicht Doug Feith came up.

JIM MIKLASZEWSKI: For months after the Iraq war began, many — not just in the Pentagon but in the administration — failed to recognize that while the invasion was a success, the steps that the U.S. had taken immediately following the invasion were crumbling before their eyes: the de-Baathification, the disarming and dissolution of the entire military.

ERROL MORRIS: Do you think that Rumsfeld was in denial? That even he couldn’t see his way to the facts through the layers of fantasy that he constructed in promoting the Iraq war?

JIM MIKLASZEWSKI: Well, not just him but the entire building was in denial. Doug Feith — don’t get me started on Doug Feith — told me that they had a Marshall Plan all set to go in terms of rebuilding Iraq. And he pointed to this stack of huge three-ringed binders, all of them black. There must have been about 10 of them stacked up on top of a cabinet. And I asked to see them, and he said, “No, you can’t. It’s classified.” And I said, “Well, O.K., I understand that, I guess.” But I raised it to somebody else within the next couple of weeks. I said, “Well, Doug Feith showed me the Marshall Plan for Iraq.” And this person laughed, and he said, “Mik, that was the Marshall Plan.” It was a copy of the original Marshall Plan, not a plan for Iraq.

elias posted:

my best one was debunked by the article's subject in a major news outlet last year in an interview that asked the person directly to confirm or deny whether it was true, and it's also still there

slipdisco posted:

Doug Feith

some more on the works of feith and other notable devils

"Bush agreed and decided to send Bremer alone to lead the Coalition Provisional Authority and to give him supreme authority over all US actions in Iraq; Bremer was, in effect, the US Viceroy in Iraq," and so on

Going to post this in the finest empire thread
the u.s. government killed 2,000 more people during the hurricane in puerto rico than it did on 9/11
You're confusing a surgical strike with carpet bombing. It's apples and agent oranges really.

cars posted:

internal colonialism is such a good phrase and i'm going to use it w/o ur credit

well good because i lifted it from pro-EZLN articles i read in my anarcho teen days and they got it from Pablo Gonzalez Casanova
well, i'm not giving him credit either