I read that news story once already in a shadowrun book in 1997
[account deactivated]
I feel bad for the poor janitor who had to scrub lethal herpes off the inside of the tank

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

media should publish celebrity death drug cocktails, how else am I going to figure out polypharm LD50s

Very carefully

elon musk is dating grimes now and grimes is walking around wearing a tesla T necklace lmao
Grimes's music is bad now.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-07/musk-buys-9-85-million-in-tesla-shares-after-taunting-shorts

The chief executive officer bought about $9.85 million worth of Tesla shares on Monday, his biggest purchase since March 2017, according to a regulatory filing. Musk, 46, already was Tesla’s largest shareholder, and his stake is now approaching 20 percent, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The purchase comes just days after Musk taunted Tesla short sellers in a series of tweets about his combative earnings call last week. He promised to “burn” those betting against the electric-car maker, which hasn’t earned an annual profit in its 15-year history and has blazed through more than $1 billion in cash during three of the last four quarters.

idiot

cars posted:

elon musk is dating grimes now and grimes is walking around wearing a tesla T necklace lmao

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

well, that's it. i'm going to be a fascist capitalist now. i will send my che shirt in to the hq.
https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2018/05/09/1525845600000/Raise-eyebrows-one-day--and-liquidity-buffers-the-next/

While observers were preoccupied with its CEO's personal life, Tesla disclosed it has added its Fremont, Calif. factory to a pool of collateral backing its US asset-based revolving credit line from nine banks.

This might not improve the company's ability to borrow, either. The analysts wrote they “suspect that the Fremont collateral addition was demanded by the banks to enhance the borrowing base though not necessarily to expand the facility size”.

cars posted:

just when I thought i was out... they pull me back in

“In response to these considerable financial and operational challenges, the Tesla board has been unduly deferential toward Chairman and CEO Elon Musk,” Waizenegger writes. “Mr. Musk’s peripatetic focus -- he is also CEO of SpaceX, a proponent of the hyperloop, and apparently about to start a candy company -- is exacerbated, rather than contained, by a board most of whose members have family or non-Tesla ties to him, lack industry experience, and have no track record of effective independent board service at a public company.”

{...}

CtW was among the group of influential investors that pressed Tesla in April 2017 to add new directors who didn’t have ties to Elon Musk, citing concerns about the lack of independence on the board. The carmaker named longtime media executives James Murdoch, the son of News Corp. Executive Chairman Rupert Murdoch; and Linda Johnson Rice, chairman of Johnson Publishing Co.

Waizenegger listed scandals involving companies James Murdoch managed, including News Corp.’s phone-hacking episode and Twenty-First Century Fox’s sexual harassment lawsuits. Murdoch doesn’t appear to have any experience in manufacturing or engineering, Waizenegger writes.

“Given that the simultaneous appointment of Linda Johnson Rice added significant media experience to the board,” Waizenegger writes, “it is not clear why Tesla would need two directors with media but not automotive backgrounds.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-09/tesla-urged-to-raise-its-game-as-activist-seeks-board-shakeup

Its a good bet that most of the people paying thousands of dollars down for imaginary technology are fat men who buy and eat a 5 pound bag of candy daily based on Internet arguments about what candy's the best. really if Tesla goes bust soon, Musk's best way to keep customers is to turn all the orders into exclusive content for online Gaming. Like okay you bought a self driving car that isn't real. but what if you got a virtual one instead plus it's S-Rank horny + cums chocolates from a 3D printer?? Disruptive imo.
hey man, not all of us fat men who eat a five pound bag of candy a day are fans of elon musk

Elon Musk is betting on Tesla to succeed, but a relentless exodus of senior executives could be a warning sign about the company's future.

“It is never a good sign when almost all your senior executives are leaving with the stock price at a high," billionaire short-seller Jim Chanos told Bloomberg Opinion's podcast. "That’s telling you there’s something wrong. And I don’t know what it is, but almost all the senior executives at Tesla see something and are leaving stock option packages on the table."

https://www.axios.com/tesla-executive-exodus-elon-musk-a1159690-8cd9-4c44-a541-5f44d4b7adcc.html

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/elon-musk-hires-interns-to-problem-solve

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk is said to have made two new hires as the electric carmaker continues to lose high-level executives amid a structural reorganization and a myriad of headwinds.

Musk will officially bring on two interns as “professional problem solvers” after they impressed him, as reported by auto news site Elektrek.

funny how in an introductory article or a retrospective bio, this story would be there to flatter musk, but in the middle of a public crisis at Tesla, the writers & editors are instead using it to low-key suggest he's lost his mind

Elon Musk is in the second danger zone age-wise for a psychotic break, his dad was accused of murdering three people and then impregnated his own stepdaughter, and elon bragged last year about a diet of zolpidem & booze. so after that shareholder phone conference where they muted Musk's line, when Billionaire Short Seller Jim Jam Jabroni says he's "not sure" why all the people closest to the guy on the day-to-day are headed toward the lifeboats, he means he is definitely 100% sure
just some funny/weird ephemera, Uber Chief Product Officer Jeff Holden's goodbye email to Uber employees

imagine actually thinking and writing in this Silicon Valley booster jargon.
I am #superpumped to see that he considers work and family to be first class citizens to be blended in an optimal way, a true revolution in leveraging one's personal vantage point
yes, it was me, i filled the uber hq with fireplaces
BREAKING: Elon Musk has turned random
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Caesura109 posted:

Grimes whispering into Musk's ear at night trying to get him to leak his rocketing techniques to the DPRK

it's illegal to mention grimes now

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

https://www.recode.net/2018/5/23/17380952/uber-2018-financials-yandex-grab-softbank

But there’s a big caveat with that figure. Uber gained $2.9 billion after it merged its businesses in Russia and Southeast Asia with local competitors.

Without that, the company would have posted a loss, but one that would be significantly lower than previous quarters. Excluding gains from Uber’s deals with Yandex in Russia and Grab in Southeast Asia, the company lost about $480 million, down from $1.1 billion in losses in the previous quarter and $800 million in the first quarter of 2017.

That’s partly because Uber has started to slow down its spending on subsidizing rides through promotions and driver incentives as its total bookings have grown.

seems like we should expect a loss of ~500 million in upcoming quarters.

all these rideshare companies entangling themselves with each other is gonna do my head in btw. is this gonna be some chain reaction thing?

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

all these rideshare companies entangling themselves with each other is gonna do my head in btw. is this gonna be some chain reaction thing?

When you’re 90 years old and the dementia is creeping along, the one topic your mind will flawlessly be able to address are the financial dealings of a taxi service from the ‘10s.

Grimes brought me back to this forum

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/05/elon-musks-pravda-media-company-already-exists/ posted:

Following critical coverage of his electric car company, Tesla, Elon Musk has been on a Twitter tear against the media, threatening to build a service that would allow the general public to rank the trustworthiness and "core truth" of stories, journalists, publications, and editors.

Musk claimed to be toying with the name "Pravda," a reference to the state newspaper of Soviet Russia. The Paypal Mafia billionaire's invective against journalism - so in line with the current administration's tack that one of these salvos was retweeted by the president's dipshit son - may have seemed out of the blue, but Elon Musk's Pravda already exists. It has since October.

As spotted by tech writer Mark Harris, Pravda Corp was certified as a foreign corporation in the state of Delaware on October 18th of last year. Its officer is listed as Jared Birchall, who is also listed as the president (among other roles) of Neuralink, and the director of The Boring Company - both Musk ventures. Musk confirmed the filing to Gizmodo via Twitter DM, and claimed Pravda would move forward as "soon as I'm done working on the Model 3." He declined to confirm the involvement of any other individuals in the venture.

Of course, there's reason to doubt Pravda will ever materialise. Musk has taken to Twitter before with claims of launching a candy company, and Thud! (believed to be the name of a humour media company Musk hired former Onion staffers to create) has yet to produce anything.

Petrol posted:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/05/elon-musks-pravda-media-company-already-exists/ posted:

Thud! (believed to be the name of a humour media company Musk hired former Onion staffers to create) has yet to produce anything.

dipshit420 posted:

Grimes brought me back to this forum

welcome back Elon

new short horan piece on uber q1 financials

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/05/hubert-horan-ubers-q1-results-reporters-show-arent-reading-financials.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/
some cool info on tesla's manufacturing inefficiency etc

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/tesla-model-3-scrap-waste-high-gigafactory-2018-5?r=US&IR=T

Internal documents reviewed by Business Insider show that the company expects that as much as 40% of the raw materials used to produce batteries and driving units manufactured at Tesla’s Gigafactory in Nevada need to be scrapped or reworked by employees before they are sent to Tesla’s factory in Fremont, California, and assembled into Model 3s. The documents were dated in the first quarter.

That is to say, for every 2,500 battery packs and driving units that leave the Gigafactory, an additional 1,000 pieces of “nonconforming material” is created. Half of that will be reworked and put into other car parts. The other half becomes scrap.

Tesla has spent almost $US150 million on scrap materials so far this year, according to internal estimates Business Insider has seen. That number does not include the overhead cost of creating that scrap (energy, labour hours, etc.). Tesla reported manufacturing 9,766 Model 3s in the first quarter of this year.

Tesla told Business Insider that $US150 million was an overstatement.

A specific example for you: In February, a misprogrammed robot that handles battery modules repeatedly punctured through the plastic housing (called a clamshell) and into some battery cells, the employee said, adding that instead of scrapping all the modules, some were fixed with adhesive and put back on the manufacturing line. According to internal documents Business Insider reviewed, this foible affected more than 1,000 pieces.

An example: In May, Gigafactory employees turned off the “criticality” of the “genealogy” on a specific component in the Tesla battery pack, according to an internal email viewed by Business Insider.

In layman’s terms, that means they bypassed putting a tracking system on that specific part (the bandolier) in that stage of the manufacturing process to speed things up.

It’s common practice for automakers to create a genealogy for every part in a car. That way, if something goes wrong, the part’s source manufacturer, production time, serial number, lot number, expiration date, and more can all be traced. It follows the part through its entire life in the manufacturing process before it gets to your car. This is especially important during recalls because it ensures that companies can locate potentially defective parts.

Now that’s no longer the case for at least one part in the Gigafactory-made batteries. Tesla said they were being tracked by lot number because laser-etching the parts individually was causing them to be scrapped. The company did not provide Business Insider the number of parts in a lot or explain why that was the case. It said that while it would not get into internal procedures, any modifications it made to the genealogy were to make the process better.

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

the Gigafactory
Fyi any post i make is to make the process better.