[account deactivated]
is weed an adaptogen
it helped me adapt to jen back when we were going out! hiyooooooooo
I was sitting in a nice area outside my university’s philosophy department enjoying the weather, only to have these two dudes walk out and have a loud conversation about Terence McKenna and psilocybin and the “transcendental connectiveness of all things” and somehow relating it to Jesus and how this is all some big “epistemic” question or something and if a system doesn’t have a “teleology pointing to love” then it’s useless.

Thought it was fairly interesting to see this manifestation of another form of extremely confused petty bourgeois mysticism that’s becoming all too common. Haven’t come across any Petersonites but I never hang out around the Econ department.
Update: I wrote this as it was happening and now he started talking about Jordan Peterson too.
The findings of the Jordan Peterson thread are very correct.
[account deactivated]
i'm NEET but i have a bunch of stuff i want to do. i want to pick up japanese again and devote time to coding every day for example. does anyone work from home and what are your tips in terms of being disciplined enough to do things consistently.
Don’t work from home

parabolart posted:

Don’t work from home

Basically. If you try to work in an environment that you typically don't work in, then you'll just end up not working.

it is categorically insane and also Capitalist to assume that it's a good idea to bring work int o the only tiny cube on the planet where you can afford to do absolutely nothing and post on the rhizzone. if you're trying to learn japanese don't think of it as work think of it as Posting

bit188 posted:

i'm NEET but i have a bunch of stuff i want to do. i want to pick up japanese again and devote time to coding every day for example. does anyone work from home and what are your tips in terms of being disciplined enough to do things consistently.

i work from home pretty often and the trick is to be a) competent enough that you can fake a full day's productive labor inside of 2-4 hours b) absolutely terrified of your boss

if i had the opportunity to work from home i would snatch it up in a heartbeat because i get intensely bummed out at the thought of what i could have been doing with all the hours spent commuting each day, which by now probably cumulatively constitute most of a year of my life

that said, yeah, don't actually work from home; use a local library or cafe or something if possible

parabolart posted:

it is categorically insane and also Capitalist to assume that it's a good idea to bring work int o the only tiny cube on the planet where you can afford to do absolutely nothing and post on the rhizzone. if you're trying to learn japanese don't think of it as work think of it as Posting

yeah i agree with you i think. the defining feature of my neurosis is this kind of ambivalence about discipline, work, conformity etc where i am really of two minds about it. my parents are jehovah's witnesses and i feel this situation exemplifies this kind of life. on the one hand my parents tried to force me to do schoolwork or whatever but also communicated that it did not matter because my life was supposed to be about the religion, in fact that being too successful at it was extremely bad as well. so it's this kind of thing where i want to be 'normal' and try and force myself to conform but i realize that is bullshit, but also feeling like i'm being excluded from society and am kind of defective if i don't. but also that my way of doing things is better, though i don't always believe this. the worst thing about this situation is that i feel incapable of enjoying anything that used to mean something to me and i feel like i've been robbed and bullied out of my emotions and access to meaning i formerly had access to

that aside in related thoughts the idea that learning is hard and takes a lot of work is kind of fake, i think the difficulty is artificial and a product of what constitutes knowledge and skill under the capitalist mode of production. the form by which knowledge is acquired constitutes what it is qualitatively. there are ways to learn and think that are enjoyable and based in leisure outside of this insane kind of mechanical checklist skills thinking. i know this on a deep level because i'm lumpen to my core and i have taught myself everything. but i'm tortured by what it means to be normal and this kind of holding myself to account/neurosis is keeping me from understanding the things i used to really believe

I'm able to work from home, and I do in between doing temp work because I'm living somewhere cheap, but yeah, doing that work requires a real real commitment, it drives me nuts to do it and means that sometimes I eat oatmeal at 6:00 PM and post on this site.
I feel like I overcompensate for my politics by having an absurd work ethic, like I'm trying to avoid accusations of being lazy because of stereotypes about the politics I have. I get up at 5 in the morning every, and I worked a hundred hours of temp work over the past two weeks, as well as writing a ton: I'm talking about 20,000 words in that time.

I don't know if it's because I grew up in America and have that insane work ethic drilled into my head, or if I have some deviant bourgeois strivings that animate me beyond just getting by.

Parenti posted:

I feel like I overcompensate for my politics by having an absurd work ethic, like I'm trying to avoid accusations of being lazy because of stereotypes about the politics I have. I get up at 5 in the morning every, and I worked a hundred hours of temp work over the past two weeks, as well as writing a ton: I'm talking about 20,000 words in that time.

I don't know if it's because I grew up in America and have that insane work ethic drilled into my head, or if I have some deviant bourgeois strivings that animate me beyond just getting by.

the work ethic thing for me is so foreign like a lot of other things about this country. my upbringing was really very different and i think a lot of things other people accept confuse me because they don't make sense but people are raised to accept them. this leads to some weird situations where i feel forced to adapt to things that i can't ask questions about without thinking. of course this is also the way my parents expected me to behave. the part of me that thinks and likes to learn is a huge aspect of my personality but kind of split off from the rest of it. i actually developed schizophrenia at like 19 and i really think in my case it is psychogenic, i can perfectly explain why it happened

i have worked from home for years, with occasional breaks, and if you have any ability to not work from home, take it.
sometimes i say that im going "home" when i actually mean the office, and then me and the person im talking to have a good chuckle while a tiny sliver of myself dies, sloughing off into the abyss with a soundless shriek of agony
I love to work from home... I get distracted easily and procrastinate a lot. I find myself skipping work all the time so I can go do other things, often times trivial things... then I miss deadlines and people get upset or I suffer consequences... but at least I didn't work hard
Any work that is not toward the goal of sentencing Dick Cheney's face to be stomped through a paper shredder on national TV is wasted effort, so just relax
if you dont spend just as much time goofing off at work as you would at home wyd

bit188 posted:

i work from home in the evenings/nights, and im able to do it because it's based on a schedule system where i have to be online at such and such a time. however, i frequently have no idea what to do during the daytime when im not working and its not consistent at all.

Also sorry bit I didn't give any advice on discipline, I can honestly say that for me it was falling in love so, uh, fall in love.
DO NOT FALL IN LOVE DO NOT WORK FROM HOME 410,757,864,530 DEAD COPS
BORN TO HATE BORN TO LAZE A BILLION DEAD COPS DAILY UNTIL THE END OF MY DAYS

bit188 posted:

the form by which knowledge is acquired constitutes what it is qualitatively. there are ways to learn and think that are enjoyable and based in leisure outside of this insane kind of mechanical checklist skills thinking.

i learned english from scratch by playing command and conquer tiberian Sun , watching everybody loves raymond and chatting over Aim and let me tell you the only way to learn language (human or machine) is thru leisure. almost all the software that i use for work i genuinely enjoyed dabbling with at some point. to me that is kind of a loss because i don’t think in them with the same positive creative outlook anymore e.g. i’ve looked at photoshop so many times it makes me grimace.

also on that note, in korea i briefly taught english in a Hagwon. was paid cash under the table bc of my lack or visa status. the way those kids are taught english is the most bizarre fucked up way. it’s like teaching heiroglyphics. here is the letter “A” Remember it. looks like a Triangle. the youngest group i taught gave out paperwork to was like 4-5 and one of their assignments for the day was to Find a word in a One Dimensional Word searcgh.

Find “CAT”

X Q K C A T L L

the youngins did it with such pride and dedication, bless their lil hearts. but when they got older, let me tell you, these kids couldn’t give two fucks about English. it was poisoned for them. forever. so choose how you “work” wisely i’d say

It was "Israel Day" or some shit at my university today where a bunch of Israeli-American students had cultural booths set up at the student center. It was hilarious though because they had to request police presence since they were scared of the Palestinian activist group active on campus.

Dimashq posted:

since they were scared of the Palestinian activist group active on campus.

red salute to PSN comrades

shriekingviolet posted:

red salute to PSN comrades

shout out to all my fellow gamers on the playstation network.

Edited by graphicalUSSRinterface ()

currently in detroit for workers world marxism school and its kewl
[account deactivated]
I got a hamsick tattoo last night from a comrade lol
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

white privilege is the cops watching you fail to jump a turnstile twice and then opening the gate for you

fthats pretty fucked up

yeah i vault that thing first time every time
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]