Dimashq posted:

Criterion rereleased Stalker in 1080p, it's hella nice.

idk if that was even their work, up until not long ago mosfilm had a 1080p restoration of stalker freely available on their youtube, i doubt it's had two HD restorations in just a few years. someone made subs for it too

Petrol posted:

Dimashq posted:

Criterion rereleased Stalker in 1080p, it's hella nice.

idk if that was even their work, up until not long ago mosfilm had a 1080p restoration of stalker freely available on their youtube, i doubt it's had two HD restorations in just a few years. someone made subs for it too

Oh ok. Yea i saw the youtube post of the movie, I wasn't sure if they were the same.

The version I saw in theaters had new subs and they were terrible. It was obviously a rework of the old subs where the more poetic bits were replaced with stilted google translate crap. I'd like to see andrei rublev in theaters though.
Also almost all of the sound including music was redone in most of the newer releases, and you should really look for the original mosfilm 2x dvd release if you want the movie in its proper form. at least I think that was the good one.
[account deactivated]

Caesura109 posted:

i actually never got around to watching the matrix until a few days ago, for some reason i always assumed that part of the plot was that the robots had put humans in sacs because they didn't want to kill them but to let them continue living on as they did before they created the singularity. then they brought up that 'harvest their energy' shit and i lost a bit of interest, and realized that the aliens were evil not for harvesting humans, but for finding a way to allow them to shape their reality and pursue a limitless world of imagination but instead stuck them in a 9-5 capitalistic replica of the late 20th century as some sort of sick punishment

woah

i had always assumed the original idea had been they were using human brains as a biocomputer supercluster, but it got cut to simplify for broader audience. if they were "heat batteries" it would make a lot more sense to just keep them vegetative or use other mammals than having to run a simulation. also biocomputer makes more sense in how some humans can escalate privileges and neo somehow manages to get root.

i hardly remember the other two as they were pretty bad; at the end of the second film i hoped that maybe they were nested simulations, but no.
The best part about the matrix is that it inspired the metaphor at the heart of misogyny discourse in 2017 (red pill) but was written and directed by two trans women

It sounds like a joke in a Tom Robbins novel

Caesura109 posted:

and realized that the aliens were evil not for harvesting humans, but for finding a way to allow them to shape their reality and pursue a limitless world of imagination but instead stuck them in a 9-5 capitalistic replica of the late 20th century as some sort of sick punishment

Well yeah in agent Smith's speech at the end of the first movie they explain this away:

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

Agent smith also believes that

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

Which is simply not true. In fact obviously the programming language is the right answer but agent smith is dedicated ancap

swampman posted:

You're a plague and we are the cure.

I wonder if that was a conscious Cobra reference

[account deactivated]

Caesura109 posted:

Ooooh I quit the movie like halfway through

"No investigation, no right to speak"

i kind of like the second matrix movie, it had some good ideas that never went anywhere except more set pieces in the third one, like how there were decadent organized crime programs fucking up efficiency on the other side of the war and how their muscle were like ghosts and werewolves from some previous Skyrim matrix. i like the part where Morpheus and the ghost program dude are fighting over the handgun in the car seat and the agent drops down and rips off the roof of the car, and the ghost dude stops fighting with Morpheus for a second to help him aim the gun at the agent, the movie didn't draw a ton of attention to it which was nice
i watched the love witch

tears posted:

i watched the love witch

i liked it

same, but it was made much better when i read the directors rant about the cabal that controls wikipedia http://annabillersblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-read-wikipedia.html

Now I see Wikipedia as a sort of litmus test to discover the truth about the world, but not in the way that these super-editors want me to. Now if I look at a controversial subject and see that the same twelve or so editors are policing it, even if I thought that controversy was a baseless conspiracy before, I now wonder why these editors are afraid of the truth getting out and what they have to hide, and seriously begin to consider the alternative theory. For instance, I didn’t start getting interested in 911 truth theories, or in chemtrails or Morgellon’s disease or false flag operations or events such as The Jonestown Massacre until I discovered that the same cabal that I had fruitlessly fought with several years ago was policing these pages as well. I now know that to find out the truth about anything, you have to look beyond Wikipedia – WAY beyond – and look at dozens if not hundreds of sources before you make up your mind about the truth of ANYTHING. An encyclopedia should be for providing information about a topic, and not for keeping information out, even if that information is controversial. We should be allowed to weigh information, and decide for ourselves after thoughtful review if we find that information baseless or not. But if information is being hidden or altered, we may as well be living in a police state.

That's a pretty flawed analysis of the problem. There's definitely a pecking order of editorship that enforces a kind of western chauvinist rationalist sam harris type worldview, but I'd be more worried about how their criteria for accurate information reflects jingoistic american hegemony than a goofy secret conspiracy coverup to cover up chemtrails, the satanic panic, and your patent snake oil homeopathic AIDS cure. Obviously governments influence wikipedia, they'd be foolish not to, but most of it you can chalk up to voluntary sperglords stubbornly plugging away at their dumb ideology of nearsighted pseudorationality and everything they reject doesn't automatically boomerang back around to truth.

They're not a sinister cabal charged with protecting dire secrets, they're the village green preservation society.
:rolleyes:
It's me, the boring drab grey man who is no fun.
i aged five years just reading that post
it's been a long week, i might have aged five years just to write it

i will never not believe that this guy, wikipedia codename: Oshwar, is covering up the chemtrails-morgellons link
too bad he has not yet achieved sufficient secret society rank to receive initiation into the mysteries of the hair-hygiene link.
i blame wikipedia, not for the trot-enabled bourgeois propaganda, but for the inevitable 9/11 chemtrail conspiracy backlash

shriekingviolet posted:

That's a pretty flawed analysis of the problem. There's definitely a pecking order of editorship that enforces a kind of western chauvinist rationalist sam harris type worldview, but I'd be more worried about how their criteria for accurate information reflects jingoistic american hegemony than a goofy secret conspiracy coverup to cover up chemtrails, the satanic panic, and your patent snake oil homeopathic AIDS cure. Obviously governments influence wikipedia, they'd be foolish not to, but most of it you can chalk up to voluntary sperglords stubbornly plugging away at their dumb ideology of nearsighted pseudorationality and everything they reject doesn't automatically boomerang back around to truth.

They're not a sinister cabal charged with protecting dire secrets, they're the village green preservation society.

she's american so it's a more natural reaction for her i think. the other fun thing about her blog is that it reveals she's a fully paid-up jungian.... so rare these days...

[account deactivated]
guys, i'm rewatching deadwood
[account deactivated]
https://medium.com/@jrbml.public/podcast-sergei-eisensteins-october-and-the-bolshevik-revolution-b07c733beaf8
hmm

Edited by tears ()

this is very good, funny no one could have predicted the rise of social media and the effects of that on women's self-image, fucking insta models and their diarrhea tea
sure, diarhhea tea sounds like a bad idea at first,
[account deactivated]
its a laxative tea that insta models peddle with before and after pictures but dont picture the remains of their stomach linings during this process surprisingly
[account deactivated]
i've embraced my future as an Old and am watching the Poirot masterpiece mysteries. dig that opening sequence

watched this mini doc about the shining path courtesy of forums poster blinkandwheeze
theres a brief moment where they're talking about how the population of lima swelled in size with refugees from the countryside that made me think of pretty much the same thing happening in cambodia and pnom penh during the war there, although maybe i just have cambodia on my mind all the time
Have folks seen the trailer for the Hamilton-esque PT Barnum musical? I had vaguely heard of it but when I saw it in the theater I started cackling like a maniac. American culture is truly irredeemable.