Yes, using chemical weapons was basically the one way the SAA still had to rejuvenate that interventionist mojo. Trump attacking Syria is also the best way he can prove he's not a Putin puppet. It's all very convenient. Still, I haven't seen a really good counter narrative on this yet. Like Russia's stance I guess is that it was just a random event of the SAA bombing a rebel chemical weapons storehouse. Meanwhile others are showing pictures of people working with victims while having bare hands and feet and saying it can't be sarin. Right now my position is just "skeptical and waiting to learn more." I think it's useful to remind people about all the fake stories we've heard to justify intervention before, like Qaddafi giving rape pills to mercenaries, Qaddafi planning to go apartment to apartment murdering every civilian in Benghazi, everyone in Aleppo being massacred and all the women jumping out of buildings to avoid being raped, 100 last hospitals in Aleppo being bombed, probably a lot more too if you go back further, like the classic pulling babies from incubators one in Iraq

ilmdge posted:

Right now my position is just "skeptical and waiting to learn more."

this is the safest, most epistemologically sound & uncontroversial position anyone can take, and it reads like nothing short of holocaust denial to bloodlusting libs. "assad worse than hitler" is unironically making the rounds on social media right now. can't even call it shooting from the hip; this is more like watching long-buried landmines go off. they've had the regime-change erection for years, and by now it's just a crusty mass of thromboses held at bay by a tourniquet, but they're still going to use it to fuck the first thing they can grab

"Assad is worse than Hitler because Hitler never gassed soldiers" is, like, the stupidest thing I've ever read and viscerally upsets me.
i got accosted by a Centrist Warmonger online. people who literally think the problem with the world is that the US doesn't start enough wars or stay in them long enough, because of the Far Left and Far Right, which are the same, and should be ashamed at their selfishness. no, really. these people can exist in the wild! they've adapted to breathe human air
never knew liberals hated Fritz Haber so much. i mean, he seems like a jerk, but worse than Hitler? whoa there
CNN has been trying to hedge their bets recently so their stories on the topic have begun to read like someone having a manic fit, lurid tall tales from the White Helmets intercut with one- or two-sentence paragraphs saying that no one has been confirmed to have seen, heard or done anything

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i got accosted by a Centrist Warmonger online. people who literally think the problem with the world is that the US doesn't start enough wars or stay in them long enough, because of the Far Left and Far Right, which are the same, and should be ashamed at their selfishness. no, really. these people can exist in the wild! they've adapted to breathe human air

you met trey parker and matt stone?

Welp
"wait and see" is a fair position as long as it's clarified by noting that the White Helmets are an Islamic-extremist linked lobbying group for the invasion of Syria, funded largely by governments hostile to Syria, that masquerades as a humanitarian NGO; that the "activist journalists" cited by the Western press are part of SOHR and SCHR who are also Islamic-extremist linked lobbying groups for the invasion of Syria, funded largely by governments hostile to Syria, that masquerade as humanitarian NGOs; that the government of Turkey has a vested and declared interest in the destruction of Syria; and that any and all "reports" to date on the question at hand have been made solely by the above groups, whose stated goal has been for years the invasion of Syria and the overthrow of its government, in the complete absence of any neutral, independent investigator and without any corroboration by the international news media, who are themselves also entirely absent from the story they're purporting to cover. Then it's fine
also the doc who filmed all the pinpoint pupils is Dr. Al Qaeda
There is a slim chance that they still don't control what trump sees well enough and he could claim vanessa beeley or whoever is now the authority. lol.
ahhhhhhh

A toast for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs this morning. Moral responsibility for Israel to act in a diplomatic arena against the atrocities of the regime
well looks like our boy trump is gonna get his first war hooray for president kill
hands off syria you fuck

ilmdge posted:

ahhhhhhh

A toast for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs this morning. Moral responsibility for Israel to act in a diplomatic arena against the atrocities of the regime

If i was feeling "moral responsibility" for the first time in my life i'd do a celebratory bongrip too

all the news pages are russia this russia that, syria gas attack, north korea threat

my head is going to explode from all this garbage

Panopticon had the last laugh.

But, we will have the last word.

Fuck.
i sure hope the guy who campaigned on doing war crimes stops all the war crimes

Constantignoble posted:

also probably relevant is How US Flooded the World with Psyops. short excerpt:

maybe you already know this but after a brief look around it looks like another one of those weird conspiracy sites with chemtrails and etc. might want to be careful using them as a source

holy shit
Holy shit. I hope no Russian combatants get killed...
I hate everything
I hope many American service persons die as a result of this.
nm
So it looks like 60 cruise missiles were used against a single airbase, the one next to city of Homs (south of Hama where the latest rebel offensive is taking place and west of Palmyra and ISIS). The Russians were informed beforehand, and people with Syrian sources are suggesting there was some sort of evacuation. There have been few reported casualties.

I don't think this is to begin the destruction and dismemberment of Syria as all the braying, bloodthirsty liberals (including some on this forum) hoped. It looks more like the attacks America carried out in the 1990s against Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, small-scale "warning" raids. But, there may be an escalation on other fronts. The best option, at this point, is for the Empire is to partition Syria. As many have warned, the SDF (with, or without, the YPG) remains the best, and most willing, option for this. There may also be an effort to strengthen the various rebel groups in Idlib, the North, and the Southern pockets to defeat the Al-Qaeda group HTS, the one that probably carried out the Khan Sheikun false flag, as they remain an obstacle to any plan for "safe-zones" partition. Any endgame that results in a "victory" for the America would then involve a merger of the SDF and various rebel groups to create a client state in the North, and the South, along the occupied Golan Heights and Jordanian border. Now, these are America's best options short of a total war, but Syria, Russia, and Iran's response to this are a different matter altogether.

Anyway, this is what I speculate, based on following this war on and off since its beginning. The dark times for Syria aren't about to end anytime soon, it may even get darker.

May Allah bless and protect Syria, its People, its Army and its President, the Lion Bashar Al-Assad, from the Empire and its vampire hordes.

E: An interesting tidbit. Supposedly, this airbase was the one that America accused Syria of using to launch the alleged chemical weapons attack. But based on previous airstrikes it is most likely not. The airbases in Latakia, along the western coastline where the Russians operate out of, is where most airstrikes against the rebels in Idlib are actually launched from. This base is primarily used from operations in Eastern Syria, against ISIS, as both a supply line hub and close air support with helicopters.

Edited by RTC ()

so when does the first tweet from a liberal arguing that "because Trump didn't annihilate every single member of the SAA tonight, it is only more evidence that he's getting marching orders from Putin" appear

i'll say tomorrow morning, they need to sleep on it and let their childlike excitement wear off
The largest internet platform against this right now is /r/The_Donald and /pol/. Smdh.
welp, trump's hand's on Syria now.
Never mind that, how will this affect PPG?

Synergy posted:

Constantignoble posted:

also probably relevant is How US Flooded the World with Psyops. short excerpt:

maybe you already know this but after a brief look around it looks like another one of those weird conspiracy sites with chemtrails and etc. might want to be careful using them as a source

i'd never seen the site before and didn't really poke around it, but the article's author, Robert Parry, is real good. he's the consortium news guy who got big covering Iran-Contra and otherwise has a long history investigating psyop shit. i think The War Nerd had him on recently, though i haven't listened.

shapes posted:

so when does the first tweet from a liberal arguing that "because Trump didn't annihilate every single member of the SAA tonight, it is only more evidence that he's getting marching orders from Putin" appear

i'll say tomorrow morning, they need to sleep on it and let their childlike excitement wear off

libs: i guess you all who said hillary was a hawk feel stupid now
hillary: i would have done this exact thing, but faster and more
by her own admission no less

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-hillary-clinton-idUSKBN179058
"In her first interview since her stunning presidential election defeat by Republican rival Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton on Thursday called for the United States to bomb Syrian air fields."
жопа for syria
Is there any real consensus (at least here) as to who carried the 2013 chemical attack at Ghouta? I wasn't following it at the time, but all I've read so far makes it just as suspect to me.
No! No! Listen to me! It’s I who renounce you. In the name of Satan, I place a curse upon you. Go Ahead. Killing doesn't mean it's over, because you will never escape my curse or those of Satan. The unchained elements of the powers of Darkness are lying in ambush. Beware and hear me oh Prince of Amerikkka, My revenge will strike down you and your accursed house and in the blood you give your sons and his son and his sons will continue to live immortal. They will restore to me the life that you will take from me. And I shall return to torment you and to destroy throughout the nights of time.

mediumpig posted:

Is there any real consensus (at least here) as to who carried the 2013 chemical attack at Ghouta? I wasn't following it at the time, but all I've read so far makes it just as suspect to me.

evidence is inconclusive but the fact that the US had to basically make shit up shows that the SAA didn't do it IMO.