toutvabien posted:

drwhat posted:
i am going to post again because i just love to post. hello

how's it going

it's ok. i have brainwashed myself into working insane number of hours voluntarily(???)(air quotes??(??))

i need a break.

tears posted:

uh, can someone re'write capital 1-3 in less thn a hundred pages with fewer references to lenths of linen; like something u could actulally sit down with a marxism neophyte in 2016 and work thru together rather than something which is mostly used as a doorstop

Harry Cleaver's Reading Capital Politically is about 150 pages and is great. Not a Marxist-Leninist text, he was more into the Italian Autonomia scene but it's great and has a rare clarity. I always recommend it to friends who are interested in learning more about what Karl Marx's ideas actually were.

'As social movements waned in the late 70s, the study of Marx seemed to take on a life of its own. Structuralist, post-structuralist, deconstructed Marxes bloomed in journals and seminar rooms across the US and Europe. These Marxists and their interpreters struggled to interpret the world, and sometimes to interpret Marx himself, losing sight at times of his dictum that the challenge is not to interpret the world but to change it. In 1979, Harry Cleaver tossed an incendiary device called Reading Capital Politically into those seminar rooms. Through a close reading of the first chapter, he shows that Das Kapital was written for the workers, not for academics, and that we need to expand our idea of workers to include housewives, students, the unemployed, and other non-waged workers. Reading Capital Politically provides a theoretical and historical bridge between struggles in Europe in the 60s and 70s and, particularly, the Autonomia of Italy to the Zapatistas of the 90s. His introduction provides a brilliant and succinct overview of working class struggles in the century since Capital was published'

https://libcom.org/files/cleaver-reading_capital_politically.pdf

i'm thinking about transcribing the rest of this and putting up readpolitzer.org

also, did MarianneSadd's account get hacked? the last post on the account seemed out of place: http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/13698/

karphead posted:

also, did MarianneSadd's account get hacked? the last post on the account seemed out of place: http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/13698/

i think that's a parody of greaves/kahina style posts

thank you goatman for making straya great again

karphead posted:

i'm thinking about transcribing the rest of this and putting up readpolitzer.org

I posted my transcription on the last page. If you want, I can try to put it in HTML for you.

But I think the criticisms that fape was making were not insignificant. I started reading the book already sorta knowing the philosophical bases of Marxism, and having only casual knowledge of philosophy in general, and even then I was wishing Politzer had been more rigorous or more nuanced with his attacks on idealism. (The internet atheists that fape was talking about came to mind more than once while I was reading.) He spends nearly the entire first half of the book talking about idealism vs. materialism, which is ample time for people who are less sympathetic/charitable/stupid than me to get impatient with Politzer's treatment and stop reading before they get to the actual dialectics.

It's better than nothing, though. An update or a rewrite following Politzer's general outline would be ideal, but we must manage with only what is material.

wuyong posted:

karphead posted:

I posted my transcription on the last page. If you want, I can try to put it in HTML for you.

But I think the criticisms that fape was making were not insignificant. I started reading the book already sorta knowing the philosophical bases of Marxism, and having only casual knowledge of philosophy in general, and even then I was wishing Politzer had been more rigorous or more nuanced with his attacks on idealism. (The internet atheists that fape was talking about came to mind more than once while I was reading.) He spends nearly the entire first half of the book talking about idealism vs. materialism, which is ample time for people who are less sympathetic/charitable/stupid than me to get impatient with Politzer's treatment and stop reading before they get to the actual dialectics.

It's better than nothing, though. An update or a rewrite following Politzer's general outline would be ideal, but we must manage with only what is material.

thank you - I blanked that you already OCR'd it. I'll work on making an HTML version over the holidays (and I just picked up readpolitzer.org).

I don't think it'll be a hard sell to those that want more of an introduction to DM which is my end goal. Anyways, I'll work on putting up what I can and post what I have in the new year for feedback/suggestions.

TRIP REPORT: this book is great and should be mandatory reading for new 'zzone posters
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
A Dialectic of Ice and Fire by GEORGES R.R. POLITZER
[account deactivated]
J Sakai is my dad and K Kersplebedeb is my mom
www.readpolitzer.org

it's up. the basic layout is done but i still have a lot of formatting tweaks to do as well as linking everything to the contents page and other things. the icons up top switch color themes.

one thing to note, "www.readpolitzer.org" works but "readpolitzer.org" does not, this is because my modem died earlier this week and i put the site up on the cloud. should be fixed once i get a new modem.

take a look and give me feedback, especially if it looks like crap on yr phone.

yay! thanks karphead. The color buttons are a nice touch. Good choice on the epigraph, too. I did a quick test in Chromium on my laptop and couldn't find anything buggy. I don't have my phone on me, though, otherwise I would check that out.
Elementary principles, indeed. Wake me up when you Marxists are ready for BIG LEAGUE philosophy
i would sincerely put up a grumblefish review if you reviewed it sincerely

karphead posted:

i would sincerely put up a grumblefish review if you reviewed it sincerely

Ok I disavow my initial, stupid comment and might one day read it and be more serious.

this is awesome! and will definitely be the way i finish this text as opposed to the PDF going around. thank you sincerely
Let's set up a web ring. What should it be called
~The Ring of Immortal Scientists~

stegosaurus posted:

Oi I do have the text of Caliban and also I have readcaliban.org so how do I just put the text of the one book into the format of your website. I have been pausing on the thread because I want to do a midbook summary / discussion that hasnt happened. Hold my hand please

stegosaurus posted:

table of contents should now be fully linked up. still need to fine-tune the formatting. after that I'll probably start searching for the material for citation/reading links and start looking for stuff i can put in the extras page. maybe do something interactive with the control questions that are at the end of each part.

Edited by karphead ()

[account deactivated]
The 211 Communist Organization

stegosaurus posted:

The 211 Communist Organization

www.readpolitzer.org

updates
- no more dns issues
- color theme change is now persistent (clear cookies and reload)
- font emphasis lovingly matched to a copy of the 1976 English edition
- backward links complete (section titles go back to chapters, chapters go back to contents page)
- site archived to a zip file on the extras page for download
- additional bio links on the bio page
- seo & html validation
- added links to the Readings sections

to do
- add images
- links to other sources within the main body of work
- links to the Reference page from the main body of work
- links from the Reference page to MIA or wikipedia
- reviews...
- control questions db stuff

any suggestions/comments on how the site looks, let me know

getting backup to the Reading sections was p. easy as it mostly references the masters which I just then had to link to MIA. there were two out-of print books that i'll scan sections in later (H. Selsam and H. Martel, Reader in Marxist Philosophy: From the Writings of Marx, Engels and Lenin and H. Selsam, D. Goldway, H. Martel, eds., Dynamics of Social Change, A Reader in Marxist Social Science)

i'm not really finding much out there in the way of reviews for the EPoP - if you come across any, forward them on

finally, if i follow you on twitter, please retweet/fave my last twit as i refuse to tweet more than once per year, ty
karphead - can I email Andy Blunden from MIA and tell him it's okay to link to the website on the Politzer archive? Or you can, whatever.
please do, i'm linking to all sorts of crap there anyways
Andy Blunden
9:44 PM (2 minutes ago)
to me

OK, I'll do that.

andy
Thanks Andy.
this is gonna be in hard copy in a few months probably. im formatting it into word and sending it to a guy whos running a commie press https://pravda-m.com
intl publishers has the copyright on the mid-seventies translation but the guy doesnt care