Crow posted:
everything will kill you, duh, even moderation doesnt keep you alive long, if you cataloged and considered every possible thing that would kill you, then you would live in constant fear that you will be ripped away from your "earthly pleasures" and cast off into "the void". this is fear, it is why when you arent happy, when you are nerve-racked and never at peace, you refuse to kill yourself. how could peacefulness and resolution and wholeness in the void possibly be worse than earthly hell? yet those who fear death dont take the Better Option, do they?

no, there's more to it than that. fearing death is a vice, and atheism itself presupposes the truth that one must not fear death.

i'm a decent looking middle class white male american living in the future, you rly don't need to infer a fear of death to explain why i'd prefer life

thirdplace posted:
i'm a decent looking middle class white male american

consider what you just said and think about what that means, and compare it to people who die on the battlefield fighting invaders, or who charge directly at nervous palace guards, or who spy on the enemy within its belly. are you ready to do this? no?

most people 'prefer to survive' or whatever, but being ready to put down your life for the truth is what causes greatness and what drives humanity. imagine getting any dangerous task done if you preferred to safeguard yourself wholly
it would depend on Circumstances probably, where you going with this
lets do this thing. c u at the palace in 15
zank you, herr crow
i did Rampant Fornication to a nasheed last night. lmao i own
solidarity cycloneteen. as long as there are teens in bondage, we can never be free

thirdplace posted:
it would depend on Circumstances probably, where you going with this

what i'm saying is that you need to be ready to put your life down for what you believe, otherwise it's cowardly, weak, and ineffectual. this fear, an ancient disease that always preserves oneself at the expense of the truth, must be constantly fought. preferring life (to what exactly? to a meaningless death? those aren't separate) is not enough, and this self-preservation is at the root of all evil. that's what i'm saying. and when people say OH its rational to fear death/prefer life, no, its not rational, and not just because that rationality goes hand-in-hand with irrationality, but also because preoccupying yourself with this fear of death just is a self-fulfilling prophecy to accomplishing a meaningless death.

preferring life to the truth which is greater than the subject, is fearing death. desiring to hold on to your things when (purportedly) you ethically reject the basis of the system which produced it, whether it be white male privilege, or consumer items, or unjust power over others, is a fear of death. in death you lose all those things, and the only thing that will remain is the truth, which you sought to avoid.

i don't know if you believe in social and economic justice or justice at all, but you should probably resolve the contradiction whereby you make your being the enemy of those eternal goals.

If it means forking over your cush lifestyle, for the sake of justice and the survival of humanity, and it will, then you should do it. What do you fear?

death is an ancient and very intimate topic, of course it will plague humanity in many disguises. i'm not saying be like, suicidal, but always criticize the reason why you want life.

Cycloneboy posted:

discipline posted:

Cycloneboy posted:
401ks are kind of a bad long term investment if you're serious about early retirement.

Well here I am, Accepting your paradigm about wealth and economics for a moment and you're still completely and utterly fucking moron

you can't take money out of a 401k before you're like 59.5 years old.

thats like a whole cold war away

Goethestein posted:
lol how poor are you people that 80 large is huge money

i've never had more than a couple thousand dollars. probably never more than one thousand tbh

Crow posted:

thirdplace posted:

consider what you just said and think about what that means, and compare it to people who die on the battlefield fighting invaders, or who charge directly at nervous palace guards, or who spy on the enemy within its belly. are you ready to do this? no?

It was narrated from Ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Shall I not tell you of the best of people in status?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who rides his horse in the cause of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, until he dies or is killed. Shall I not tell you of the one who comes after him (in status)?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who withdraws to a mountain pass and establishes Salah, and pays Zakah, and keeps away from the evil of people."

Ever since I went to the fourth plateau I no longer fear death... life and consciousness is just like, this weird chemical reaction, and there really isn't like a "you" to even be worried about death you know?

Meursault posted:
Ever since I went to the fourth plateau I no longer fear death... life and consciousness is just like, this weird chemical reaction, and there really isn't like a "you" to even be worried about death you know?

thats cool dude.

babyfinland posted:

Crow posted:

thirdplace posted:

It was narrated from Ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Shall I not tell you of the best of people in status?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who rides his horse in the cause of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, until he dies or is killed. Shall I not tell you of the one who comes after him (in status)?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who withdraws to a mountain pass and establishes Salah, and pays Zakah, and keeps away from the evil of people."

i'm glad Allah approves of my anti-social lifestyle

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

babyfinland posted:

Crow posted:

thirdplace posted:

i'm glad Allah approves of my anti-social lifestyle

didnt realize u established the five pillars dog.

i like to make salat with a nice balsamic vinaigrette and plenty of fresh ground black pepper
baby finland did you know that because the earth rotates and because it is not in a fixed position in space, every prayer you beam towards mecca actually travels on a different vector into space? maybe once out of the 1825 times you have to pray annually is actually calibrated properly. probably less than that, considering the motion of the solar system, the motion of the galaxy, and intermittent interference with your prayer rays smacking into jupiter or whatever. also, because the earth is a sphere, unless you're within about 10 miles of mecca your prayers are either traveling through thousands of miles of rock and nickel and iron - surely attenuating their signal before they can reach that crazy cube signal booster for transmission to Central Processing - or, more likely, just flying off into space since you seem to only take into consideration directions, which map to the surface of the sphere, and not the vector to your destination. i hope this has been edifying and pm me for any royalty checks
Kinda weird 2 think about lol
uhh prayer waves reflect off the ionosphere obviously
thats pretty cool
does baby finland do daily prayers

Impper posted:
does baby finland do daily prayers

i try. sometimes im good and i do all 5 othertimes i dont

shennong posted:

that can't be right or you wouldn't have to aim in the first place...

im just gonna keep posting things i guess

this is pretty cool:

Granada. In Muslim imagination the mere name conjures up images of a magnificent city. A place where science and culture thrived during Europe's dark ages. A place where the streets were lit at night and ornate fountains fed verdant gardens of exquisite beauty. Where a tolerant convivencia brought the Abrahamic faiths together in a most remarkable coexistence. Granada and its iconic Alhambra Palace represents Islam's Andalucian legacy in Europe.

Tarim. Nestled in Yemen's Hadhramaut valley, it is a city like no other. A place of spirituality and learning, tended to by the descendents of the Prophet Muhammad himself. From Java to East Africa and beyond, the scholars of Tarim led by their guides - the Habibs - have taken their tradition all over the world establishing a truly global spiritual community dedicated to living and celebrating the sacred.

Now the living tradition of Tarim and the glorious legacy of Granada meet for the first time. Habib Umar bin Hafiz travels to Spain, visiting Muslim communities in Madrid and Granada. Accompanied by journalist and commentator Fuad Nahdi and Muslims from the Spain, Yemen and the UK, From Tarim to Granada chronicles a remarkable journey.

This is the story of new communities and ancient legacies. Of enduring faith and the burden of history. Of renewing the connection between East and West. Of finding a new convivencia for our times.

chechyna: where the worlds two best drivers, muslims and russians, meet

it's really nice and refreshing, like an ice cool, blood red segment of naranja from an andalusian orchard, to have finally come out of the other side of irony
littlegreendilz

babyfinland posted:

im just gonna keep posting things i guess

this is pretty cool:

Granada. In Muslim imagination the mere name conjures up images of a magnificent city. A place where science and culture thrived during Europe's dark ages. A place where the streets were lit at night and ornate fountains fed verdant gardens of exquisite beauty. Where a tolerant convivencia brought the Abrahamic faiths together in a most remarkable coexistence. Granada and its iconic Alhambra Palace represents Islam's Andalucian legacy in Europe.

Tarim. Nestled in Yemen's Hadhramaut valley, it is a city like no other. A place of spirituality and learning, tended to by the descendents of the Prophet Muhammad himself. From Java to East Africa and beyond, the scholars of Tarim led by their guides - the Habibs - have taken their tradition all over the world establishing a truly global spiritual community dedicated to living and celebrating the sacred.

Now the living tradition of Tarim and the glorious legacy of Granada meet for the first time. Habib Umar bin Hafiz travels to Spain, visiting Muslim communities in Madrid and Granada. Accompanied by journalist and commentator Fuad Nahdi and Muslims from the Spain, Yemen and the UK, From Tarim to Granada chronicles a remarkable journey.

This is the story of new communities and ancient legacies. Of enduring faith and the burden of history. Of renewing the connection between East and West. Of finding a new convivencia for our times.

this is pretty slow until about 25:00 in btw when they get to grenada. you should watch if only to see the guys outfit

shennong posted:

that doesn't really resolve the problem because then you'd need to aim the prayer at the ionosphere and do some geometry in your head to get it to bounce properly. even that, by the way, would barely triple the range before you'd need it to bounce of the earth and the ionosphere again, and so on, which is frankly just ridiculous