http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35943428

A previously unseen video of one of Britain's most infamous spies describing his career as a Soviet agent has been uncovered by the BBC.
The tape is of Kim Philby giving a secret lecture to the Stasi, the East German Intelligence Service, in 1981.
It is the first time the ex-MI6 officer can be seen talking about his life as a spy from his recruitment to his escape.
He describes his career rising up the ranks of MI6 whilst providing its secrets to the Soviet Union's KGB.
He ends with advice to the East German spies.ear "Dear Comrades."
With those two words spoken in an impeccable upper-class English accent, one of Britain's most famous spies and its greatest traitor begins a masterclass in betrayal to a select audience of East German spies.
Philby's hour-long address was preserved on video tape and never seen in public until now.
The BBC unearthed it in the official archives of the Stasi in Berlin.
It was never made for public consumption (and the grainy video and poorly synchronised sound shows the limits of technology at the time), but that means the former MI6 officer is open about his career in a way never heard before.
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

In his lecture Philby claimed he helped prevent World War Three

Same

I listened to imperialism propaganda broadcast station radio 4 when they were playing extracts from this interspersed with some idiots saying words and it was really interesting. I was struck by how incredebly difficult it must have been for comrade philby to do what he did and for all communist spies living in imperialist countries. THe mental strength required to remain ideologically pure while being 100% immersed in the machenery of oppression and privilidge while also your entire life being a lie u ahve to maintain perefectly and also basically living in total fear of being found out must really fuck you up big time. great spy great comrade

When he was posted to Washington DC as MI6's liaison with the CIA and FBI, he betrayed an operation to secretly send thousands of Albanians back into their country to overthrow the communist regime.
Many were killed.

Lol

Two other things:
1) Philby (and the rest of the Cambridge 5) were recruited as sleeper agents far in advance of gaining their prestigious positions in the machenery of oppression. The USSR basically selected them because they were the kids of rich white imperialists and were basically guaranteed to find their way into the state macheinery if they asked, which their handlers ordered them to do. Philby just "dropped a lot of hints" that he wanted to be in the secret service and whaddya know, was interviewed for a job at MI6. Good thinking by good communists.

2) If Burgess hadn't freaked out and fled when Maclean was compromised and fled with him, thus turning intense suspicion on Philby then Philby had a very high chance of becoming the head of MI6. a communist spy as the head of MI6 would have been a fucking sweet own.
paedophile, according ot david icke et al (who were right about british illuminati sex abuse decades before most of the rest of us...)

i suppose thats the degenerate culture of the aristocracy for you :/

tears posted:

Maclean was compromised

Are you talking about the time at Nakatomi towers or the time at the NYC Federal Reserve?

Sad that America's Dreyfus affair, the legal lynching of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, has been mostly forgotten. Even sadder is that the long history of Jews who fought for human liberation has been suppressed by the zionist fascist regime of Israel. The Roseberg's were true heroes as was Kim Philby

tears posted:

I listened to imperialism propaganda broadcast station radio 4 when they were playing extracts from this interspersed with some idiots saying words and it was really interesting. I was struck by how incredebly difficult it must have been for comrade philby to do what he did and for all communist spies living in imperialist countries. THe mental strength required to remain ideologically pure while being 100% immersed in the machenery of oppression and privilidge while also your entire life being a lie u ahve to maintain perefectly and also basically living in total fear of being found out must really fuck you up big time. great spy great comrade

But isn't this basically all of us, without a paycheck from Moscow?

unless u work for the government then nt really, im not exactly in a position to pass secrets of great importance to the revolution and sabotage major shit. maybe i cud have messed somethin up in local goverment, but only for an underfunded and sidelined department that has no meaning by providing substandard contracted services lol, plus i quit that job because i had no instructions from my handler!

What im trying to say is that Philby actually did a lot of really bad stuff because of his position, but he did it knowing it was terrible and he knew it was for a good reason, to maintain his cover so he could betray a bunch of albanian fascistsand save the wurld or w/evs

disregard this if u work in a serious job for serious imperialists and its destroying u without the outlet of owning ur own government just by existing, that would suck

tears posted:

disregard this if u work in a serious job for serious imperialists and its destroying u without the outlet of owning ur own government just by existing, that would suck

no it's fine everything is fine

damn that does suck, stay strong cat comrade; plus, u never know, it might come in real handy in the future