capital will continue to stifle innovation when it can and buy it when it must
uh this was supposed to go in DYTD
one more reason to DMTD, really
Prepare for forums moderation...
*cowls cape about face menacingly/soberly*
look mom, i can transfer wealth from the future to now via debt, i'm a fucking time traveler
i agree wit da op
Wine baby got too turnt
Which mod do i need to blow to change my name to Wine Baby? I no longer identify as a camera obscura.

camera_obscura posted:

Which mod do i need to blow to change my name to Wine Baby? I no longer identify as a camera obscura.

Only Site Admins can change an account username.

:suicide:

camera_obscura posted:

:suicide:

i can create you a new account tho

never
i have wasted far too much blood and treasure on this account's personal brand extension to even countenance such measures

camera_obscura posted:

i have wasted far too much blood and treasure on this account's personal brand extension to even countenance such measures

we are all in this together baby

"Robotizing labor will result in millions of jobs in industries that we haven't even invented yet." --hundreds of mainstream economicists

me: jobs like footman, stillroom maid, valet, groom of the stool, etc
and oh yeah: bedpan changer

that's gonna be a big one
They've been saying that for like 30 years now. Robots will do everything but it's OK, everyone can just be robot makers and fixers!

The timetable is wrong but the sentiment is obviously correct. We are already at a point where a large percentage of the population is useless for the production of further capital. I'm not an economist, but it seems like something fundamental is changing with regards to human capital.
I think slavery will always beat robots for most labor needs in the eyes of capital.
I don't. It's already getting too pricy to pay Bangladeshis, and eventually it will be too pricy to pay western Ugandans or whomever is next. Plus, you probably can't get random Ugandans to do most of whatever those robots are doing, nor as well, nor as efficiently, nor do you necessarily want your factory to be in Uganda. Plus our materials and objects grow ever more subtle and sophisticated, making human factors less important for their refinement and manufacture. At some point in time robots will become more cost-effective than people, regardless of location.

Edited by winebaby ()

that assumes the possibility of limitless linear growth in sophistication and capability of the technology, plus the continued existence of the resources and infrastructure needed to support such development. and that sufficiently escalated complex robotics will continue to be cost effective to produce compared to slave labour. none of these are necessarily guaranteed.
Agreed, there are many tasks where there isn't enough consistency and repetition to make the expense of the custom tools and software and infrastructure worthwhile over the learning capacity and mobility and disposability of humans.

Robots will likely fully replace humans in assembly lines of bulk goods, probably even in warehouse operations. Obviously as electronic devices get smaller and more complex and delicate, and even mechanical pieces as material science and engineering tolerances improve, those things will need robotic assembly.

But it's interesting to note that even for example Amazon still uses lots and lots of wage slaves in its shipping centers. They could very easily have an automated retrieval system to pick shit off shelves. The problem of how do you pick 4 different items and make them fit in a box and what size or should you use 2 boxes and how do you bubble wrap and arrange them so they won't be damaged...its a task a child could perform with ease but would be a monumental AI programming effort with nearly endless variables. That they have self driving cars (in very limited and controlled areas and environments with human operators standing by) proves that it's technically possible, but it's a programming effort of like...space program scale, and it takes a looooooong time to pay that off with the savings vs some throwaway proles in economically depressed shitholes.

And if your robot breaks you're fucked, if a forklift runs over some dude you just say he wasn't following safety requirements, fire his crippled ass and hire someone else.
Thanks to entropy, labor will always be required.
Okay, but like, probably not to the point where we retain an over-fifty-percent labor force participation rate.
Job retraining does nothing. If you google "change careers" all of the hits are about changing your careers in your forties and fifties because careers don't exist anymore except as relics, and only old people expect them. The only real new jobs that people seem to get are in health care, where they essentially facilitate the transfer of wealth from old people (who often have some wealth that they obtained during a different economic era) and the government to insurance companies.

And, oh, yeah, walking rich peoples' dogs. That's a big one. A young adult can choose between picking up dog shit and picking up old people shit. That's basically it. Or you can open a business selling useless training for jobs that won't exist or that are already desperately fought over.

Edited by winebaby ()

"guh get a job as a plummer heh heh he" -a comment on a new york times article

"Well, start your own business and get a second job. I work a hundred hours a week and am making huge bank! New businesses are always successful!" -a guy on a radio show

"You should get a job as a math teacher!" -a well meaning relative

"Getting in a world war or removing women from the workforce would solve many of the problems with the economy in the united states. " -a d&d post near you
Have you tried becoming an app developer?
you should be a wine baby
whine baby
[account deactivated]
"computer janitor"
i'll commodify the rhizzone with a rhizzone app, my investors are gonna love this

camera_obscura posted:

i'll commodify the rhizzone with a rhizzone app, my investors are gonna love this

i've actually already begun this and i've registered all the necessary patents, trademarks and corporate names because obviously it's much safer with a trusted admin holding those. i should hear back about the bank accounts next week, and then we can release our early access app in Q2 and be rolling out to full release in Q3, i'm looking forward to finally properly targeting the underserved marxplainer demographic with apps and ads that really speak to them and their interests. one of my good friends (mckinsey guy, his family has an amazing place in napa, wow) is working his contacts trying to get us a co-marketing deal with corbyn, it's really going to take off

reason to drink yourself to death: the ability to write the previous post

drwhat posted:

reason to drink yourself to death: the ability to write the previous post

Looking forward to visiting the corporate headquarters in Marxist View, California

unfortunately, I just checked the map and it turns out there are no Marxist views in california

MarxUltor posted:

I think slavery will always beat robots for most labor needs in the eyes of capital.

Agreed. Although from the perspective of capital the labour of robots is both indistinguishable from and integral to slave labour. Competing with robot labour in the freemarket means one must accept the conditions of slave labour. There is no need for even a majority of automation of industry, the percentages we are at now and the threat of them increasing in number and pervasiveness already works towards cementing this reality.

self-service checkouts were pioneered circa 2006 and to this day their prevalence has not increased. human cashiers are still generally cheaper. so it is with all automation. im going to make an effortpost on how in this and other ways technological progress has in many important ways actually slowed down in recent decades
I believe Gash has the fact of it. Plenty of good jobs have been made redundant by robots, and it's created a atmosphere of fear and submission. It's hurt far more than just the numbers directly effected. It's just more capital they can own, and they always prefer that, since it's harder these days to own people.