you have been marked
now go back and ask him the same thing about "civilization: the west and the rest"
All production and as a consequence science (of production) is done in the third world. All our engineers, mathematicians, and scientists are from China and India (just like all our cheap manufacturing ), our job in the first world finance economies is to create use value and make massive profits off exchange value. Anyone who majors in engineering or science needs to go back to 1950, we have no use for you.
actually there is still a lot of manufacturing done in the west it is just very high productivity. for example, most food eaten in america is still produced in america, even though the number of farmers is very small. it's just very productive. the most factory dense place in the world is switzerland, not china.

Crow posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
i literally majored in linguistics because when iw as 16 and started college i was like hurrr chomsky and now i work for a liberal invest advisory service

lmao i started as a finance and linguistics double major

is there like a porous boundary between linguistics and finance

http://fckvrso.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/christian-marazzi-capital-and-language-from-the-new-economy-to-the-war-economy/

getfiscal posted:
actually there is still a lot of manufacturing done in the west it is just very high productivity. for example, most food eaten in america is still produced in america, even though the number of farmers is very small. it's just very productive. the most factory dense place in the world is switzerland, not china.

That's cause we need corn and agriculture to make sure 3rd world economies can't compete with heavily subsidized American produce and remain dependent. Also we use mexicans and factory farming to make sure there is no risk of paying workers above the global cost of repruction of labor. Also natural capital (the earth) fuctions differently than industrial capital and it's pretty clear that speculation on land is important to our finance economy. I posted an extreme abstraction and how the neo-liberal world economy is far more complex than 3rd world = labor/1st world = bourgeoisie to make a point but in general becoming a scientist or an engineer in the 1st world is not very useful to capital anymore.

actually third world workers are lazy that's why they don't get paid much. think of the laziest person you know. are they worth 50 grand a year? that's the third world

discipline posted:
Today I asked my professor IRL if he'd ever read "Settlers" by J. Sakai and he said yes and that he thought it was good

i read this in the matter of fact tone a small child uses to report on their daily events. Mhm *nods*

babyhueypnewton posted:

getfiscal posted:

That's cause we need corn and agriculture to make sure 3rd world economies can't compete with heavily subsidized American produce and remain dependent. Also we use mexicans and factory farming to make sure there is no risk of paying workers above the global cost of repruction of labor. Also natural capital (the earth) fuctions differently than industrial capital and it's pretty clear that speculation on land is important to our finance economy. I posted an extreme abstraction and how the neo-liberal world economy is far more complex than 3rd world = labor/1st world = bourgeoisie to make a point but in general becoming a scientist or an engineer in the 1st world is not very useful to capital anymore.

can you post more often and also put your thread about the philipines onto the front pgage. thank you

discipline posted:
Today I asked my professor IRL if he'd ever read "Settlers" by J. Sakai and he said yes and that he thought it was good

SOMEONE BUY THIS MAN AN ACCOUNT

babyhueypnewton posted:
All production and as a consequence science (of production) is done in the third world. All our engineers, mathematicians, and scientists are from China and India (just like all our cheap manufacturing ), our job in the first world finance economies is to create use value and make massive profits off exchange value. Anyone who majors in engineering or science needs to go back to 1950, we have no use for you.

im not from china nor india

further, you misunderstand; the asian, arab, and indian engineering students, of which, combined, of course make up the vast majority of engineering majors in US universities, are all from the upper classes of their society. hardly the situation that you describe.

not to say that there isn't a necessary place for us few born-n-bred aspergerites - the DoD requires at least a Top Secret clearance for most contractors, which is ofc much less expensive for companies to buy for a citizen as compared to an ex-pat. ;p

gyrofry posted:
anti-portlandia sentiment is too mainstream now, we need an anti-anti-portlandia backlash

heh

yeah i still have yet to meet a student from india who wasn't a brahmin
i fed the indian students lots of alcohol and drugs, and they loved me for it
one of them once got out of hand at a strip club and we had to strap him to the top of a truck to get him home

germanjoey posted:
further, you misunderstand; the asian, arab, and indian engineering students, of which, combined, of course make up the vast majority of engineering majors in US universities, are all from the upper classes of their society. hardly the situation that you describe.

not to say that there isn't a necessary place for us few born-n-bred aspergerites - the DoD requires at least a Top Secret clearance for most contractors, which is ofc much less expensive for companies to buy for a citizen as compared to an ex-pat. ;p

i work on power lines, which requires occasional encounters w/ ~the real~ and can't really be outsourced

asian engineering students are extremely unprepared for the Real
they' re doing the smart grid thing in illinois, plus theres still a shitload of work upgrading all of the old relays. a lot of the workforce is old, but the style of work is less sexy for young people (read: involves a hardhat and FR suits) than silicon valley shit. so you have that and factories (PLCs and such) that are hiring at least in chicago. don't be trippin y'all, get your sperg on