[account deactivated]
that's quite congruent with my new motto: anarchy soon, but not in the immediate future such that it will be scary, but definitely within your lifetime, once you've had time to get accustomed to the idea, if that's ok with you, i guess.

shriekingviolet posted:

that's quite congruent with my new motto: anarchy soon, but not in the immediate future such that it will be scary, but definitely within your lifetime, once you've had time to get accustomed to the idea, if that's ok with you, i guess.

let's workshop that down to three words and i'll zazzle the buttons

you can identify me in protests because im the one throwing shoes at the secret service agents protecting the Bush motorcade holding an "anarchy eventually" banner
ah, yes, the Committee for Incrementalist Anarchy, i've heard of you.

tpaine posted:

did i post that before? try this, also full blassst

this is rlly good

[account deactivated]
alright goodnight clarence and shrek violet, i'm going to sleep.
[account deactivated]
happy new year getfiscal. may the teh be with you
i got a number tonight, for a lady, when is it a good time to introduce her to the international struggle?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i havent made it that far yet

discipline posted:

Haha you two should get a room! Happy new year

thanks hopefully it works out for me, i can finally fall in love like the other half of this forum. also i refuse to cohabitate with tuppins, not after the shinerbach incident. maybe i can convince her not to revere the troops on 9/11

[account deactivated]

shriekingviolet posted:

addiction is a vulnerability that is created more by emotional distress and social alienation than by the immediate reaction of substances with the brain, and the detrimental effects on health of most drugs are more a matter of unhealthy diets and poverty than the direct physical effects of intoxicants

Rat Park is such a cool thing to read about.

FAILAIDS posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

addiction is a vulnerability that is created more by emotional distress and social alienation than by the immediate reaction of substances with the brain, and the detrimental effects on health of most drugs are more a matter of unhealthy diets and poverty than the direct physical effects of intoxicants

Rat Park is such a cool thing to read about.

it's an excellent example of how capitalist society ignores, rejects and suppresses dissonant information, and in general stifles all scientific progress that doesn't align with its ideological goals. extremely my shit

swampman posted:

much of the sahara desert is a food desert.

ironically enough, people who live in actual deserts have diets several times healthier than Americans who live in food deserts

getfiscal posted:

well remember american regulators are so controlled by the food industry that something slam dunk like alcohol prohibition is considered anathema because right-wing news stories pound it into people's heads that somehow banning the sale of alcohol didn't sharply reduce drinking (it did and it does). the simple idea that i shouldn't be allowed to have a diet that devastates my body is so far outside the mainstream that it's more likely you'd convince democrats to colonize the sun. even something like compulsory exercise would be fought so hard that coke would be runnings ads in people's dreams telling them that the holocaust started with jumping jacks.

the problem with all of this is the same as the problem with the war on drugs: going after the lowly consumers rather than the producers is regressive as fuck and doesnt even work anyway

people will riot over a choice denied, but a choice never presented in the first place doesnt even exist to them
too bad the capitalist strategy is specifically to present a buffet of shitty choices, eh?

shriekingviolet posted:

too bad the capitalist strategy is specifically to present a buffet of shitty choices, eh?

well yeah. it presents you with an endless multitude of choices, then criminalizes or punishes every single one of those choices except the select few which further its goals and maximize its profits

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
imo people just get sandwiches from the deli instead of cooking. so it's fried eggs and bacon/turkeybacon for breakfast and lots of ketchup and mayo on processed meats and cheeses and bread for dininer/lunch. which is pretty unhealthy imo.
[account deactivated]
Lol if you a think minimum wage is anywhere close to paying off student loans you prick. Also, the standard rates as D and D loves to point out puts people in poverty and is a major economic drag but that is another conversation. Also, for those of us who have had literal generations of radical Islamist (google boko haram ) terrorists attack us while mealy mouthed liberals like yourself watched, the ability to make them at least think again about attempting to expand beyond their sphere of interest. Also calling them bread stealers is a lark when as daeash/ISIL has millions of dollars in oil wealth/stolen funds. Sorry I don't fit your "middle class white" narrative.

Also to Zeal, I have seen the oldest and newest platforms, and sorry, but your roommate was probably someone bullshitting a civilian for their own ego boosting reasons, and while say Big E may be rusty, it would not spring a leak into the ocean in that manner.

shriekingviolet posted:

it's an excellent example of how capitalist society ignores, rejects and suppresses dissonant information, and in general stifles all scientific progress that doesn't align with its ideological goals. extremely my shit

it goes hand in hand with Evgenij Morozov's whole critique on solutionism/technoutopianism/whatever which tends to reduce every social problem into something that needs little technical fixes. Science gets steered away like u said, and where it can't avoid pointing out something's really fucked there's a big backlash. See climate research "controversy", and even in that case we're to be saved by green capitalism and geoengineering. Rat Park is just that in psychology: pathologies are considered merely a matter of brain chemicals. Base reductionism as a subtle tool of repression.

Food addiction works the same way.

Rat Park is my favorite Korean character actor
remember when they sang "bad cops, bad cops" on the simpson like the song that ewas used as the cops theme song? Classic cops moment i thought i'd share
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

Walk of shame

We shouldn’t forget that the Cuban revolution was wound up in a very hyper-masculine, chauvinistic, even psuedo-fascist, ethos.

http://www.mail-archive.com/marxism%40lists.econ.utah.edu/msg00169.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/marxism%40lists.econ.utah.edu/msg08248.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/marxism%40lists.econ.utah.edu/msg00149.html
http://louisproyect.org/2009/07/10/mrzine-and-sex-change-operations-in-iran/#comment-43382

wow, gross

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]