i loled at that person demanding u put trigger warnings on pictures of pomegranates. i think that was real not sure but it's things liek that that make you really question the direction that sort of liberalism is moving in.

libelous_slander posted:

whats the y axis

level of fail
just kidding it was a poorly conceived drawing from some other poster demonstrating that if you travel left or right enough on the spectrum you'll eventually run into the fringe of the opposition in agreement, and they were saying that's where you encounter obama
trigger warning: don't forget to disengage the safety

ilmdge posted:

i loled at that person demanding u put trigger warnings on pictures of pomegranates. i think that was real not sure but it's things liek that that make you really question the direction that sort of liberalism is moving in.

libelous_slander posted:

whats the y axis

no need, obama is point at infinity of the one point compactification of the left/right political spectrum

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

is there an official name for the phenomenon of people making up medical or mental problems for pity?

hypochondria

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Trigger warnings aren't solely or even primarily on descriptions of graphic violence, they're slapped on anything that might make any soft basket case feel uncomfortable, from differing opinions to pictures of creepy houses. This is what the article is talking about, BTW. These useless crybabies hide behind and exploit our sympathy so you can't even criticize their catepillar phobia without some well-intentioned person getting upset that we're heartless towards gang rape victims

when have you ever seen this apart from ppl making "lol tumblr" jokes

uh like every college campus is run by tumblrinas
i haven't been to college since 2009, which is before tumblr got real big iirc.
[account deactivated]
napoleon dynamite catchphrase

HenryKrinkle posted:

aerdil posted:

trigger warnings will always be irreparably bourgeois.

because PTSD doesn't exist? wtf.

A revolution is certainly the most authoritarian thing there is; it is the act whereby one part of the population imposes its will upon the other part by means of rifles, bayonets and cannon — authoritarian means, if such there be at all; and if the victorious party does not want to have fought in vain, it must maintain this rule by means of the terror which its arms inspire in the reactionists.

A revolution would probably be pretty triggering

hi bhpn.

i'm simply asserting that warning rape victims about walls of text that contain violent descriptions of rape may be a decent thing to do.
[account deactivated]
(TW: this post has the word "eat" for those with body image issues)

next time trigger-warn us nicer gentle folks & fuckin killurself shitstain!! I'll fucking dox & swat you, fuckface! i will (TW: here it comes) eat u alive and kill ur subhuman family and genocide ur kind in mah revolution! omg literally shaking i cant even

Superabound posted:

tpaine posted:

i always said lf lionized the oppressed and forgave them for even their worst impulses

The Church of Jesus Christ of Laissez-Faire Saints

now this i can get into

Lessons posted:

It's hard for me to not be at least a little sympathetic to the article because the diagnosis is largely correct. Left-leaning student organizations (and the NGOs these students are eventually fed into) are open and considerate to a fault when it comes identity politics categories but largely silent and frankly ignorant when it comes to social class, which plays second fiddle to gluten sensitivity and hose phobias. You're probably right that this isn't a "real problem" but it's emblematic and almost certainly symptomatic of a much more significant academic turn where what's considered important is narratives, communities, bodies, voices, lived experience and Tane, while political economy gets ignored and class is given lip service at best. This exercises a profound impact on student orgs since it's shoved down their throats, but also has a, heh heh heh, shall we say, problematic influence on the larger left, and when it comes down to it I'm always happy to see people point out how retarded this is even if it's from the mouth of fellow retards who write for Teh Baffeler.

now narratives, communities, bodies, voices, lived experience and Tane I can get into

*clears throat* lmao you've baffled me to a ridiculous degree yet again
[account deactivated]

HenryKrinkle posted:

aerdil posted:

but why should we restructure the operations and daily intercourses of society around the whims and sensitivities of the seriously mentally ill? we already have Capitalism

littlegreenpills posted:

when have you ever seen this apart from ppl making "lol tumblr" jokes

first as Concern Trolling, then as Tragedy

tpaine posted:

well rape and pomegranates

προειδοποίηση σκανδάλη

HenryKrinkle posted:

aerdil posted:

yeah i mean i thought about including that caveat, but it just seems obviously respectful to say hey the following description is disturbing when describing murder or sexual violence. even fucking exploitative true crime TV shows do this. however, these days you get unironic "content warnings" before wikipedia articles about hot sauce because it might trigger someone who is anorexic. and that devalues serious issues about PTSD and real issues of mental anguish most people in areas outside the first world have to deal with in serious ways on a daily basis.

Edited by aerdil ()

if the whole "trigger warning" fad stopped just as a note about descriptions of murder and rape i don't think anyone but the most 4channy internet nerds would have a problem with it. the problem is that it hasn't stopped there and has become more about the discomfort mostly privileged white liberal internet people have about whatever they talk about in therapy which is evidence that they have more oppressed points than other people.

Edited by aerdil ()

i used to be really receptive to the arguments about the need for trigger warnings, but after reading a lot of posts by communities that use them i've realized they are most often used by privileged liberals attempting to erase all discomfort from their lives.

but while your general comfort in life is predicated on the suffering of so many others perhaps a little discomfort is fucking justified.
serious question: has any Actual Psychiatric Expert ever stated that completely avoiding 100% of all acknowledgment, reference, remembrance, or oblique reference to the source or things similar to the source of ones trauma is actually a healthy, productive way to deal with mental issues? has anyone ever asked?
"Ok for our next exercise, heres what i want you to do: Forget about it. Forget it ever happened. Cram it deep down inside. Dont ever acknowledge it. Block out the memory. Block out your entire childhood. Subsume every previous experience into an inky black veil of nothingness, through which no light or investigation can pass. Every moment, pretend that all hitherto existing experience was nothing more than a vague illusion. And if anyone, for even one second, shatters this illusion, lash out at them in the most violent, emotional, venomous way possible. Do this long enough and youre cured. And good luck with your first post-op tour in Iraq!"
I miss the old internet where you could troll really crazy, old/middle-aged people who had no pretentions about their banal lives and circumstances. RIP American Media, Inc forums.
Then again it was seedier/creepy in the fact you could envision those people being child-molesters, rapists, murderers, serial killers, etc. Now, everyone has a fucking brand and cynical irony groove going on #smh

wasted posted:

Then again it was seedier/creepy in the fact you could envision those people being child-molesters, rapists, murderers, serial killers, etc. Now, everyone has a fucking brand and cynical irony groove going on #smh

To elaborate, the Weekly World News forum was my Carcosa.

It doesn't matter how you feel inside, you know. It's what shows up on the outside that counts. Take all your bad feelings and push them down, all the way down past your knees, until you're almost walking on them. And then you'll fit in, and you'll be invited to parties, and boys will like you. And happiness will follow.
so mustang called me out, but like he didn't even hack me man. shadow is a lame password. it's actually jewsdid911

Edited by shriekingviolet ()