The orangutan iPad program, known as Apps for Apes, was started after the gorilla keeper at the zoo mentioned on her Facebook page that she'd like to get some iPads for her gorillas to play with, Rafert explained. It was kind of a joke, but a zoo volunteer took it seriously and donated a used iPad to the zoo. It turned out that the gorillas didn't really enjoy the iPad — "they are more stoic," said Rafert — but the orangutans went wild.

Now the orangutans' keeper, Trish Khan, lets the orangutans play with the iPad about twice a week. The orangutans are not allowed to hold it because they are so strong that they would probably wind up cracking it in half. Khan holds it up to their cages and allows them to interact with it.

The orangutan conservation group Orangutan Outreach is now involved with the project and is hoping to get Apps for Apes started at other zoos. Richard Zimmerman, executive director of the group, said Zoo Atlanta, the Toronto Zoo and the Phoenix Zoo are just waiting to get iPads for their orangutans to play with. The Houston Zoo already has an iPad, but has not yet introduced it to the orangutans.
[account deactivated]
Let the monkey men have technical readouts to nuclear devices on the flashy computer
teach them that after they harvest nuts and fruits to extract uranium from them

They would then probably throw the uranium because they don't read english, and probably wouldn't have the technical skills to decipher what a nuclear bomb was supposed to do but whatever.

Maybe the instructions should be written in German?
Is it easier to teach a monkey english than German?

EDIT- Excuse me, Apes. I will update my Privilege score to reflect this oversight.
good. i look forward to the enslavement of ape-kind by robot-kind.

looking forward to a long-term study on a population of apes that dwindles due to their obsession with the virtual world, sex.
lol is that a population growth rate chart?
good, as long as orangutan's get them long before the ill-treated workers who actually make them, we'll know capitalism remains ascendent
ya avg children per woman. pickin up a bit at the end there, guess those freeters are spending their time well
we got free cake at work today b/c the company sold million apps or something on the apple istore
hehe kool
Dude badas. Do you know the name of the app so I can send some downloads from facebook buds your way? There is no cake

But back on topic: will this be featured on the Orangutan Island tv show? Before you consider debating me on this, consider that I am a woman.
i expect this will increase in popularity. i'm pretty sure i saw a video where the great ape trust in iowa was using an ipad with the youngest bonobo there, teco. and given the huge publicity push they've been doing the past year or so i'm sure they'll be influencing american ape caretakers. teco, by the way, named after an engineering company, instead of the more traditional word or phrase in swahili such as panbanisha and kanzi. also by the way, he seems to be autistic, which is interesting. now whether or not that's common in bonobos (and how the occurrence varies depending on if theyre linguistic or not, or named for engineers or not) i do not know.
give that ape some amphetamines, lady