[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the epicness of vladimir putin building a low orbit space city is too much badassery for this troper to handle
"At some point that money will be worthless, and the armed goons kill that bastard rich kid and keep his floating mansion."

hahaha
[account deactivated]
this fits really well with D&D suddenly being absolutely certain that the collapse of capitalism is immanent and that means a sort of post-apocalyptic mad max type world. who will publish the popular technology magazines and provide us with cheap consumer electronics?!?!
If they can't communicate with their unmanned martian spacecraft, I think there might be some other challenges getting in the way of this.

guidoanselmi posted:
If they can't communicate with their unmanned martian spacecraft, I think there might be some other challenges getting in the way of this.

i realize that this might be offensive to your religion and all but i wish to state that you are a god among men

also double upvote.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
think about it. living on a series of isolated islands means the zombie apocalypse is less likely to occur. wait, can zombies swim?

oh. Shit.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
think about it. living on a series of isolated islands means the zombie apocalypse is less likely to occur. wait, can zombies swim?

zombies can walk underwater.

probably just over shallow masses of water, however, inasmuch as the pressures at depth would likely destroy them
The way zombies spread is really unrealistic.
One person, or a small group of people, get a disease. Its not airborne and its effects are extremely noticeable within one hour. Then somehow this spreads all the continents of the world within a day. It would be like if a dog in Brazil got rabies and then every other mammal on the planet got rabies within 72 hours. Very unrealistic, imo
Another problem is how we see the survivors fight zombies. We see them, often people with basic weaponry and no real military training, kill dozens of zombies per one human over the course of a few days. Perhaps its true that they are better at killing zombies than the average panicked population, since they have had some degree of experience in it. But the only ratio that needs to be met for the zombie invasion to be forestalled is one-to-one - probably substantially less than that, actually because humans outnumber zombies, at least initially, by thousands to one.

Edited by gruntstein ()

gruntstein posted:
Another problem is how we see the survivors fight zombies. We see them, often people with basic weaponry and no real military training, kill dozens of zombies per one human over the course of a few days. Perhaps its true that they are better at killing zombies than the average panicked population, since they have had some degree of experience in it. But the only ratio that needs to be met for the zombie invasion to be forestalled is a one-to-one kill ratio. It's probably substantially less than that, actually, inasmuch as humans outnumber zombies, at least initially, by thousands to one.

Fucking. Interesting. New thread idea? ?mods?

its almost like zombie genre plays off our fear of being left behind in the midst of a rapid cultural shift, or basically our fear of genocide. user loses posting privileges, for good this time, and i mean it!!
you know people always focus zombie symbolism on the zombies, on the fear of the crowd, etc. this is probably largely correct was it pertains to zombie cinema, since it almost invariably depicts the initial stages, when all is panic and loss. but, zombies as a phenomenon, as a popular, populist obsession and fantasy, i think is more about creating a postapocalyptic world with a constant but ultimately surmountable threat, wherein one's actions have immediate, tangible importance and can collectively serve to build a society from the ground up. in that context, the zombies are almost incidental.

it's much like the western of yore: an expression of a creative urge to civilize, and to see one's work be obviously meaningful rather than an infinitesimal division of an unfathomably large labor. the fact that it is twisted into a necrotic form is merely an expression of a zizekian lack of alternative imagination
i think theres a strong drive to recontextualize institutional environments in postapocalyptic fantasy
isn't this the same fantasy all you society haters harbor? the essence of 'accelerationism'?

let it burn and may better seeds be planted once the nuclear dust settles.
heh, Daniel's apocalypse first alludes to this sentiment. Muslim eschatology iirc also alludes to the transformation following the latter days.
im gay