gaining 2 levels after killing something is like crack cocaine
yO KINCH IF I SEE YO ASS, YOU BETTER AINT BE CRAWLIN, #FUCKER #WINNING #FUCKER
ive been playing TOO MUCH heroes of might and magic 2 i might try this game is it good??
Yes but the learning curve is pretty steep.
so i finally tried this shit a couple of days ago, just had my first "okay" game where i died next to the gossamer rune in the spiders nest. Crawl.
[account deactivated]
i have a blog about Crawl now. you probably won't find it interesting or even understand what's going on if you haven't played the game, but i've tried to make it accessible to new players by explaining what stuff does.

http://ibukisuika.wordpress.com/
i think i forgot the password to MrTAteMyBalls by the way. rip
i saw you playing as joolsd so yeah, i assumed that. youll never eat balls again... or will you?
also the very end of spider (and most rune branches) is REALLY tough. i would wake up the stuff in there, maybe hit it a few times, and then teleport away. on my last character that made it that far, i berserked immediately and just barely survived with 4 hp (out of like 170 or something). its rough.
i had a +1,+6 vampiric battleaxe and AC 34 on a mibe so i was just steamrolling everything barely losing any hp or needing to take more than 2-3 hits, until the very last moment.....

orb spiders were the most annoying tho, i burned up a load of crappy wands on them
another lesson in hubris from crawl...
ooo that's rough. vampiric is the straight-up best brand for axes (and most weapons really but especially axes b/c of cleaving) and it can take you all the way up to zot, (antimagic is better for orbs of fire though). if it's any consolation i lost a mibe with a vampiric executioner's axe on spider:1 to a freaking orb spider. now, what i like to do is train throwing a little (>7 though, or else trog starts giving you darts and shit instead of weapons) and throw javelins at the orb spiders so i don't have to chase them down or waste wands.
oh the other way i dealt with em (esp if there were a bunch, like 3-4) is by going invisible. then they dont run away
lol i also had an antimagic executioners axe
yeah it's good to use invis early. nothing in spider can see invisible i think. not even ghost moths, those invisible monsters that drain your mp. but they cant drain it if they cant see you! very important if you have to take spider as a caster

jools posted:

so i finally tried this shit a couple of days ago, just had my first "okay" game where i died next to the gossamer rune in the spiders nest. Crawl.

wtf, i started playing crawl soon after this thread began & i've only gotten to midgame

what am i doing so wrong??

what combos are you playing? also you sorta need to play a shitload to improve heh
ive been playing pretty much only minotaur berserkers because i have a "low" "attention span". if you set it up right it's pretty much impossible to die before d:8 or so because any rash decisions can be saved by berserking and taking out everything on the screen in one or two hits.

then i guess its a case of lucking out with trog's gifts and getting a vampiric axe

i suspect i'd have been... significantly less successful playing anything else though.
okay its impossible unless:

20 joolsd the Chopper (level 1, 7/19 HPs)
Began as a Minotaur Berserker on June 2, 2013.
Was a Follower of Trog.
Drained of all life by a kobold
... with a +2,+0 short sword of draining

... on Level 1 of the Dungeon.
The game lasted 00:00:36 (27 turns).
thats my fastest death yet!

jools posted:

Was a Follower of Trog.

this happened to joey on a streak game a couple tournaments ago lol

jools posted:

ive been playing pretty much only minotaur berserkers because i have a "low" "attention span". if you set it up right it's pretty much impossible to die before d:8 or so because any rash decisions can be saved by berserking and taking out everything on the screen in one or two hits.

then i guess its a case of lucking out with trog's gifts and getting a vampiric axe

i suspect i'd have been... significantly less successful playing anything else though.

i meant the other guy i know what your playing

i know, iw as replying to him to explain what might have been different. its not all about you man

Lessons posted:

what combos are you playing? also you sorta need to play a shitload to improve heh

always as centaur hunter, with gods of trog or the zombie snake guy

i dont know enough about my gameplay to give an account of where im failing, but your crawl diary thing looks like a good point to start from.

any plans to play as a non-magicy centaur?

jools posted:

i know, iw as replying to him to explain what might have been different. its not all about you man

whatever. theres a lot of other easy combos too. try deep dwarf earth elementalist and spriggan enchanter. those are fun and easy

xipe posted:

Lessons posted:

always as centaur hunter, with gods of trog or the zombie snake guy

i dont know enough about my gameplay to give an account of where im failing, but your crawl diary thing looks like a good point to start from.

any plans to play as a non-magicy centaur?

hmm CeHu is pretty easy BUT you have all-around shit defense. i have never won a centaur or a hunter so i cant really help much there. if you really want to win do what jools is doing and play mino berserker over and over, press 'a' and then 'a' again to win. it might get you into some bad habits.

this looks like a pretty standard CeHu. heavy armour, lots of points in fighting and his main weapon skill, some unarmed b/c centaur kicks are amazing and ignore AC, worshipped okawaru. oka will give you nice skill boosts which work wonders with unarmed, but trog is okay too. you don't have to drop bows, but this guy did. if you're having trouble building a character you can always look up previous winners like this.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Jeff/morgue-Jeff-20090716-051425.txt

also, starting out, don't train fighting. it gives (1hp * (level/7)) so the benefits are minimal until you get to 12 or so. manage your skills manually. press 'm' to get into the screen and, uh, shift-1 or something to set them to manual. i forget, it might be another key. early on put all your points into what's helping you the most - probably your main weapon skill. HOWEVER theres a lot of other considerations though, like if you keep bows below 7 that will keep oka/trog from gifting you ammo, and instead they'll gift you more weapons and armour, which is good for a bows char because you'll probably get a sick longbow that way. you dont have to do that though, it's just one strategy. anyway train traps up to 10 after you do lair. this is kinda jumbled but i hope it helps. good luck goon

Lessons posted:

hmm CeHu is pretty easy BUT you have all-around shit defense. i have never won a centaur or a hunter so i cant really help much there. if you really want to win do what jools is doing and play mino berserker over and over, press 'a' and then 'a' again to win. it might get you into some bad habits.

#winning by berserking all the way to the zot? i worth a shot i guess.
i plan to expand to magic & other characters once i finish the game...

i guess ill just continue playing but with more attention to what im doing wrong & read a bit more (in 'the tavern'?) to translate that into improvements

Lessons posted:

this looks like a pretty standard CeHu. heavy armour, lots of points in fighting and his main weapon skill, some unarmed b/c centaur kicks are amazing and ignore AC, worshipped okawaru. oka will give you nice skill boosts which work wonders with unarmed, but trog is okay too. you don't have to drop bows, but this guy did. if you're having trouble building a character you can always look up previous winners like this.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Jeff/morgue-Jeff-20090716-051425.txt

also, starting out, don't train fighting. it gives (1hp * (level/7)) so the benefits are minimal until you get to 12 or so. manage your skills manually. press 'm' to get into the screen and, uh, shift-1 or something to set them to manual. i forget, it might be another key. early on put all your points into what's helping you the most - probably your main weapon skill. HOWEVER theres a lot of other considerations though, like if you keep bows below 7 that will keep oka/trog from gifting you ammo, and instead they'll gift you more weapons and armour, which is good for a bows char because you'll probably get a sick longbow that way. you dont have to do that though, it's just one strategy. anyway train traps up to 10 after you do lair. this is kinda jumbled but i hope it helps. good luck goon

it does help! cheers, big ears

i dont play video games??

ChairmanMao posted:

i dont play video games??

what kind of fucking internet marxist are you

[account deactivated]
the kind who has a job and also is going to school! i cut out video games, i spent too much time playing them. its great bc it gives me one more thing to be smugly self righteous about

Lessons posted:

jools posted:

Was a Follower of Trog.

this happened to joey on a streak game a couple tournaments ago lol

is this the same game that the op describes with this ravished paean to the game's perfect balance and how you know, just know, that when you die it's always because you fucked up but the game itself is perfect forever? and if so, how was that preventable if only you hadn't been so stupid?

[account deactivated]
the point isn't that the game is always winnable or perfectly balanced, it's that it's a complex chaotic system and with practice people have learned to manipulate it so that they can win 5, 10, 30 times in a row, like someone looking at the equation for a lorenz system then sketching it 99% accurately by hand
[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

the point isn't that the game is always winnable or perfectly balanced, it's that it's a complex chaotic system and with practice people have learned to manipulate it so that they can win 5, 10, 30 times in a row, like someone looking at the equation for a lorenz system then sketching it 99% accurately by hand

this is true of most hard / complicated games though?

slumlord posted:

Lessons posted:

this is true of most hard / complicated games though?

i think it is for good games

crawl would be the go or chess of computer games if it could be played directly against anothe rhuman opponent in some way other than scores

it would be the perfect game, unfortunately the very elegance of how the challenges of crawl emerge from the chaos of the RTD would be destroyed by direct play w/another human

youre playing against the games designers duh