[account deactivated]
It's a zip gun and effectively worthless. I mean, i guess it's neat that you made a plastic gun, but it's such a terrible weapon that you're better off having a pair of scissors
*smokes 3D-printed bike tires through thread while wearing a leather jacket reading "Capitalism's Gravediggers" on the back*

Superabound posted:

it would be impossible to eschew the use of technology in ANY age. We literally define entire prehistoric cultures by the level of technology they achieved. Unless you are an illiterate mute living naked and shoeless in the open air, killing animals with your bare hands and feasting on their uncooked meat, you are using human technology. These subdivisions between "modern" and preindustrial technologies are almost entirely arbitrary. The Amish are using fucking cutting-edge technologies compared to the vast majority of all previously existing human society.

saying that the human usage of tools is and always has been a form of "technology" is just as much an arbitrary distinction that subdividing between modern and preindustrial technology is. the view itself is quite technocentric and thus symptomatic of the time we live in, rather than an accurate representation of how people in those times viewed the tools they were using.

tool usage is different than technology, because the very concept of technology is a product of modernity. tool usage may be universal of humanity, but the view of tools as technology is very much an artificial construct. other species, such as the crow, have been known to use tools, but surely nobody would say that crows have technology?

if someone is already arguing that beavers have tecnology, then so do crows

[account deactivated]

ilmdge posted:

if someone is already arguing that beavers have tecnology, then so do crows

i didn't read the thread but if this is happening then lmao

according to Heidegger in Question Concerning Technology technology is a way of enframing, a view of the world that reduces it to an instrumental relation with humanity. so basically technology and tool use would go hand in hand, but the amount that technology determines our worldview has drastically increased.

Goethestein posted:

you can't make medicine with a 3d printer, unless your medicine is made out of plastic

the wendy's frosty is, and that'll cure what ails ya

How do you self identify as crypto-something.
[account deactivated]
crreepto-trrot

NoFreeWill posted:

according to Heidegger in Question Concerning Technology technology is a way of enframing, a view of the world that reduces it to an instrumental relation with humanity. so basically technology and tool use would go hand in hand, but the amount that technology determines our worldview has drastically increased.

dis is a good essay yall should read it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvIa6OPnJo

11:35

27:50

alex jones laments the distortion of marxism. this is pretty common but the people who do it usually blame lenin or stalin for killing the dream. alex blames the globalists, of course. but is alex actually in agreement with anti-leninist marxists? you know, maybe he's referring to the bolsheviks. was the october revolution an inside job? what happened in that sealed train? was trotsky really assassinated in 1940? goddamn.

the 3d gun printer's argument is so classic libertarian. "do you realize that people may be hurt?" "well, yes, but, you know, freedom." to paraphrase lenin: freedom, yes, but for whom? to do what?
if you could make a decent gun out of abs plastic wouldn't gun companies be manufacturing them

littlegreenpills posted:

if you could make a decent gun out of abs plastic wouldn't gun companies be manufacturing them

No

beaver here. come "chew the bark with me", so to speak, at onedamgoodlumbrjack.wordpress.com. todays article: does 3d printing have the potential to revol

stegosaurus posted:

How do you self identify as crypto-something.

Let me preface it by saying that as an An-Cap, I hold that the problem on both sides of the equation is the existence of the state...

That being said, the state exists... what might be some positive movements to be taken by one state in order to quell such atrocities by another?

First and foremost would be the most free market of solutions which would be to say that any peoples willing to relocate from a 'bad' country to another should be given the free ability to do so. Take away the lifeblood of a state, the people they leech off of, and you take away much of their power. Unfortunately, with the way that global terrorism has stained the ability of free immigration, this may no longer be a viable, tenable position to hold.

Another option which would work would be a sort of state-based marketing campaign against the other state which lifted the shroud which every state needs in order to continue... the veil of legitimacy. Take steps toward proving that the leaders are detriment to the people and let the problem sort itself out by demonstrating to the populace of the country that their leader is either there illegitimately or is detrimental to the success of the country and to implant the idea, specifically within it's military infrastructure, that a coup would be backed by outside nations--though not necessarily by ground troops.

If one looks at the Arab-Spring, this tactic proved immensely fruitful.... though again, while I do not agree at all with any of it, I can appreciate its tact from a strategic standpoint.

Another option would be to make an anti-war embargo which to my knowledge, has pretty much never been tried. This would be something along the lines of an embargo or trade limit, but with the difference being that you have one or several options out. As an example, a group of nations could meet diplomatically and say to an oppressive regime, we will not give aid and will not trade with you unless you do X... X being some sort of limit abdication of the current regime/leader. I knocked doing something along these lines in my initial post because the problem with the way that current and past embargos is that they have been absolute and without any condition... case and point, Cuba. It's a strategy that can work, but not when you present the country with the option of just telling their people that they are being targeted because they are them and we are us... case and point, North Korea.

You need to keep trade open or at least as a viable option should certain terms be met. There is no country in history that has cut off all option of trade or placed untenable tariffs where it wasn't a preemptive act of aggression and trying to antagonize another, weaker state into a war.

Pussy
fuck you roseweird

innsmouthful posted:

, but surely nobody would say that crows have technology?

well gee i wouldnt say his posts are that bad :-P

[account deactivated]
at least five ppl are being meaner to the transperson than i. for shame, bigots.
you suck
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

innsmouthful posted:

Superabound posted:

it would be impossible to eschew the use of technology in ANY age. We literally define entire prehistoric cultures by the level of technology they achieved. Unless you are an illiterate mute living naked and shoeless in the open air, killing animals with your bare hands and feasting on their uncooked meat, you are using human technology. These subdivisions between "modern" and preindustrial technologies are almost entirely arbitrary. The Amish are using fucking cutting-edge technologies compared to the vast majority of all previously existing human society.

saying that the human usage of tools is and always has been a form of "technology" is just as much an arbitrary distinction that subdividing between modern and preindustrial technology is. the view itself is quite technocentric and thus symptomatic of the time we live in, rather than an accurate representation of how people in those times viewed the tools they were using.

tool usage is different than technology, because the very concept of technology is a product of modernity. tool usage may be universal of humanity, but the view of tools as technology is very much an artificial construct. other species, such as the crow, have been known to use tools, but surely nobody would say that crows have technology?

of course crows use technology. in fact one posts on this very message board

but my conception of "technology" is not arbitrary, its the literal definition. there is not one point in human history where you can say "ok, all technology before this point is ok, but everything after it is going to thrust our souls inevitably into the abyss" without it being entirely arbitrary and based on your irrational fear of the loss of control. or even worse, some ridiculously naive concept of the pastoral ideal, usually the province of bearded cult leaders and childbride rapists

so if when you say "technology" you actually just mean "computers", then by all means, say computers

did technology invent capitalism or did capitalism invent technology?

holy shit
definitions can derive from arbitrary distinctions, but I think he's saying that the conceptual frame of Progress is the artificial construct with which the term technology is wedded. So if you're going to reject progress as an inherent element of history you might also have to discard technology, even if you don't sacrifice your tools

hey posted:

did technology invent capitalism or did capitalism invent technology?

holy shit

technology created the material conditions that made Capitalism inevitable, just as it will create the material conditions that make Capitalism untenable
this is why those who resist technological progress are counterrevolutionary and must be opposed: through their enforced stagnation, all they will do is enshrine present conditions, and thus Capitalism, in permanency

^ thats v true as heidegger quotes holderlin in that essay "but where danger is / grows the saving power also" which is a large part of his point

heidegger is just using a different definition of technology than you are, a more specific one outside of everyday usage; it turns on that issue of "enframing" and the way that technology enframes the world, to him, is that it turns the earth into a set of resources to be extracted and used (and possibly used up)

in that way he's talking pretty directly about industrial capitalism (and sorry to bring up bataille a bunch and have this username etc. but it's also what bataille talks about wrt accumulative/profane vs. excretory/sacred civilization) and i think it's entirely valid that the modern conception of technology flows out of this idea and that separates the way modern people think about technology vs how cavebro thought about his cool mammoth hunting spear

reducing the contemporary question of technology to "oh crows / beavers have technology too you can't really make any claims about it" is like saying "oh a gun is just a tool it depends on who uses it" - it's not very useful and it's essentially liberal in that it refuses to acknowledge that material conditions imply certain social structures / uses etc. rather than just being arbitrary or 'natural' or whatever - see also "oh communism and capitalism are both good ideas but corrupt people will ruin anything" blah blah blah
Cavebro