so i tried talking to tech support about our server troubles, and once again they had no idea what was going on. however, they did offer to transfer to the site to one of their newest servers for free.

on one hand, this could fix the server problems (we'd move from a 32bit -> 64bit processor, our memory would increase from 336 megs to 512 megs, and it would be "allocated better", whatever that means). we'd also then have the option to go up to a gig of memory for an extra 18 bucks a month. im not willing to pay that (i already pay 18 bucks a month for the hosting + the extra memory), but if someone was interested in chipping in, this is on the table.

on the other hand, the transfer could get fucked up, and id have to request that they revert it.

so, at best the site would be down for a single evening, and then magically it works really great the next day. at worst, could mean the site is down for a couple days straight with no improvement. most likely, in either scenario, search will be permanently broken; I remember having to hack at the software a bit, but don't remember what exactly I did. if remake for the indexer fails, Ima just disable the feature. sorry.

what say you all.
i wouldnt worry about search. oes search actually work? I don't think ive ever got anything other than:

ATTENTION: Sorry, but there is a 10 second search timeout to prevent malicious attacks. Wait a few more seconds and try your search again!

what uses up all the memory. is there a memory shortage or some reason to pay for more memory the gig of it
sounds good
doesn't it keep going down because Joel is attacking it or w/e and if so would this fix it
yeah fuck search anyway, this way we can feel some nostalgia about somethingawful

ilmdge posted:

i wouldnt worry about search. oes search actually work? I don't think ive ever got anything other than:

ATTENTION: Sorry, but there is a 10 second search timeout to prevent malicious attacks. Wait a few more seconds and try your search again!

what uses up all the memory. is there a memory shortage or some reason to pay for more memory the gig of it

yes search works, you just have to wait 10 seconds before you search.

i'm not exactly sure what uses too much memory. it could be the search indexer. it could be poor indexing (or lack thereof on some table). however, what happens is that something DOES use a lot of memory, and then our host automatically kills the django process. that's when you see the 502 bad gateway message.

can u check memory usage

gyrofry posted:

doesn't it keep going down because Joel is attacking it or w/e and if so would this fix it

does he still do that? is that what's happening?

thanks for paying cash money for a known hate site

germanjoey posted:

gyrofry posted:

I don't think he does. Not my Joel.

germanjoey posted:

gyrofry posted:

prob cycloneboys now

parabolart posted:

can u check memory usage

sure, but i cant see what's actually causing the problem unless i install the django profiler and then trace throguh shitloads of log files. im not really willing to put that much effort in, sorry. if there was someone else here that was competent with code, and was also someone trustworthy, id be willing to give them the password to the server so they could do it. but alas, you're stuck with me.

isn't 99% of the trouble shit that people can easily reset? why not make the default user able to do that rather than paying more money?

germanjoey posted:

parabolart posted:

can u check memory usage

sure, but i cant see what's actually causing the problem unless i install the django profiler and then trace throguh shitloads of log files. im not really willing to put that much effort in, sorry. if there was someone else here that was competent with code, and was also someone trustworthy, id be willing to give them the password to the server so they could do it. but alas, you're stuck with me.

Try asking Computer_Jones.

getfiscal posted:

thanks for paying cash money for a known hate site

its not! its virtual money. thats what makes it so easy.

http://thegrimoire.com/666/AnalCunt10/tabid/63/Default.aspx

im sure u could get a better deal on hosting
whyd u want to remember anything about this place anyway, whatever is using loads of memory is one sick hateful computer process

Lessons posted:

isn't 99% of the trouble shit that people can easily reset? why not make the default user able to do that rather than paying more money?

what?

shermanstick posted:

im sure u could get a better deal on hosting

it's possible, but this place is still pretty good, and specially designed to support the web framework this site uses. (python django)

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

what?

i thought the average error was something you or khasmek could reset with 1 click (like amazon 1 click checkout) rather than a deep problem.

rbanffy 1059 days ago | link
Your site may run fine with normal traffic, but increase to about 100 a minute and the site starts giving bad gateway errors. Be CONSISTENT in your errors, django

Like I said above, I am running 800 requests per second out of a two-server front-end + 1 backend for 18 hours with no error and no slowdown. You should monitor your machine carefully to identify problems. Maybe you are running too many HTTP listeners, maybe you are using mod_python instead of mod_wsgi. I won't troubleshoot your server for you.

kgrin 1059 days ago | link

Specifically with Webfaction, that's exactly what's going on; it has to do with the particulars of their typical Django setup on the shared hosting. (I've had the same "Bad Gateway" errors from PHP sites at Webfaction... it's very much a server setup issue, not anything to do with the code it's running.

hth
i dont like python django because it reminds me of anaconda which featured ice cube and django reminds me of that quentin tarantino movie where everybody said nigger a lot

Lessons posted:

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

what?

i thought the average error was something you or khasmek could reset with 1 click (like amazon 1 click checkout) rather than a deep problem.

we can solve the problem by logging in with the root password and resetting the server. having that same password would also enable anyone to wipe the database clean, delete all the code, etc lol

i can help with this but first i need to know if the server is plugged in

check the cord

check... check if the cord is plugged into the wall.

parabolart posted:

rbanffy 1059 days ago | link
Your site may run fine with normal traffic, but increase to about 100 a minute and the site starts giving bad gateway errors. Be CONSISTENT in your errors, django

Like I said above, I am running 800 requests per second out of a two-server front-end + 1 backend for 18 hours with no error and no slowdown. You should monitor your machine carefully to identify problems. Maybe you are running too many HTTP listeners, maybe you are using mod_python instead of mod_wsgi. I won't troubleshoot your server for you.

kgrin 1059 days ago | link

Specifically with Webfaction, that's exactly what's going on; it has to do with the particulars of their typical Django setup on the shared hosting. (I've had the same "Bad Gateway" errors from PHP sites at Webfaction... it's very much a server setup issue, not anything to do with the code it's running.

hth

it really doesn't help

i dont like django bc of that woody allen movie

getfiscal posted:

i can help with this but first i need to know if the server is plugged in

check the cord

check... check if the cord is plugged into the wall.

please tell mom this is not her fault

ya

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

what?

we can solve the problem by logging in with the root password and resetting the server. having that same password would also enable anyone to wipe the database clean, delete all the code, etc lol

is there a way to let non-admins reset the server without giving them that access? if someone pays for potentially better hosting great but that may not even solve the problem...

or just find a third person trustworthy to reset it, and then a fourth, and then that's probably enough to cover it
ok hear me out but maybe we could breed a race of admins who will only use the password to reset the server and maybe make me my meals. i'll check sourceforge.
Bring back search

Lessons posted:

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

germanjoey posted:

Lessons posted:

what?

is there a way to let non-admins reset the server without giving them that access? if someone pays for potentially better hosting great but that may not even solve the problem...

i think we'd be able to try it for a month and then revert back to the normal plan if it doesnt improve things. the way payment works is that you essentially pay into a reserve, and then every month money is subtracted from that based on the current upgrades you have selected.

swampman posted:

Bring back search

you can search right now if you want to. you jsut have to wait 10 seconds before you search. i just tried it.

why not just move it to the cloud
(pipes up through mouthful of cholocolate) trustworthy yessir thats me. lets take a look at the server box. maybe if we flick this switch on and off?? (chocolate is smeared on EVERYTHING)

gyrofry posted:

why not just move it to the cloud

it is on the cloud already. we're on a shared virtually-allocated server. that's what being on the cloud means.

okay. i would give you money to test it except i dont have a credit card and live with my Mom. hopefully one of the middle-class successful rhizzoners will step up to the bat here.
Sigh, where is Radium when you need him? Fun fact, I will sometimes search for my own posts and read them and find the ones I forgot about. Fix search or else... I think, probably, the only thing that keeps me from frequent self-harm is tHE rHizzonE's search feature. I don't mean to freak you out but it's either let me search, or I literally sever all connection with humanity and allow myself to starve to death locked in my bathroom with a copy of No Logo by Gnomey Klein