Ironicwarcriminal posted:

blinky what's that takin' over book like i might get it for the missus

its cool, lots of wisdom interspersed with silly stuff like what bugs creep him out. it reads mostly like a collection of emails stitched together tho, also it's pretty old and he has kinda developed a lot as a voice since so it's cruder than what he would be capable of now. comes with a neat dvd too

if someone insisted on buying me a high quatlity print of a raphael paintining on sleek glossy paper, i dont think ther ewoudl be any doubt in my mind or anyone else's mind that it would be the sistine madonna, also known as the dresden madonna, because of the collection it belongs to.
ill never live down the day i mistakenly referred to a handful of putti as chibi on a freshman midterm some 4-6 years ago.

blinkandwheeze posted:

owned

tell your maid to dust that turtnable, jesus

fuck you ilmdge my parents told melissa i had to start taking responsibility for myself by cleaning my own room from now on
defying the tomb
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam by Nick Turse

stegosaurus posted:

defying the tomb

i just got this too

[account deactivated]
ak press
will some1 do something about the fellow probating tpaine continuously in this thread
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Defying the tomb is really good. i wanna write this guy.

stegosaurus posted:

Defying the tomb is really good. i wanna write this guy.

Write to! Write to

Urgh, americanisms

No what I literally meant was "I want to write the words 'this guy'" as in write them on a piece of paper. Which I just did a minute ago.
A social history of leisure. it talks about traditional leisure culture and the transition to modern leisure culture and it's really good if a bit neutral on some things. doesn't talk enuff about enclosure, but mentions the fact taht public land was increasingly unavailable, etc.

ilmdge posted:

mao would say "DAMN THATS TOO MUCH LEOPARD PRINT, LOOKS LIKE A DAY AT THE RATCHET ZOO"

it makes me want to hold a bear-baiting.
[account deactivated]
im working through baudrillard's america book right now. i like it except when he gets all self-congratulatory about how ~~deep and thoughtful~~ european culture is. mostly i think it's that it puts things i've felt at a primordial level forever into more stirring words than my idiot nerd brain can imagine
America is falling, ready to join the Roman Empire as a distant memory in the annals of history. The year is 2027. Tired and desperate, the American people are deep in the middle of The Second Great Depression. The Florida coastline is in ruins from the most powerful hurricane on record; a second just like it is bearing down on the state of Texas. For the first time in history, the Middle East has united as one and amassed the most formidable army the world has seen since the Third Reich. A hidden army of terrorists is on American soil. This is the story of three men: Howard Beck, the world’s richest man, also diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. Richard Dupree, ex-Navy SEAL turned escaped convict. Maxwell Harris, a crippled, burned out Chief of Police of a small Texas town. At first they must fight for their own survival against impossible odds. Finally, the three men must band together to save their beloved country from collapse
they're gonna beat up a hurricane

clanzy posted:

im working through baudrillard's america book right now. i like it except when he gets all self-congratulatory about how ~~deep and thoughtful~~ european culture is. mostly i think it's that it puts things i've felt at a primordial level forever into more stirring words than my idiot nerd brain can imagine

Yes, here I’m totally for Europe — and specifically for the German authoritarian tradition. England is already corrupted. In England, students think they can simply stop you and ask you a question. I find this repulsive.

That said, I quite admire the United States and Canada. In some ways, they are better than Europe now. France and Germany, for instance, are currently in a very low state intellectually — especially Germany. Nothing interesting is happening there. Yet it surprises me how intellectually alive The United States and Canada are. Let me give you an example: Hegelian studies. If Europeans want to understand Hegel, they go to Toronto or Chicago or Pittsburgh.

im gonna worm my way into a class with george sellars even though im a civil engineering student.
i been reading a lot of bataille + i might write a thing about the orgiastic and the sacred in late capitalism and put it on my dumb Ass pundit wannabe Blogge
i was rereading do androids dream of electric sheep until yesterday evening when I left it on the sofa and the dog in my avatar ate it. she just vomited a large bolus of partially digested paperback onto the floor and now I have to clean it up. she is a bad dog
now theres some harsh criticism of pkd

littlegreenpills posted:

i was rereading do androids dream of electric sheep until yesterday evening when I left it on the sofa and the dog in my avatar ate it. she just vomited a large bolus of partially digested paperback onto the floor and now I have to clean it up. she is a bad dog

a REALLY bad dog

idk why anyone puts up with dogs. the cat in my av hasn't eaten one book he stays right there in the png file
yeah well, your cat may be able to dj, but can he drive as well as vote for obama?
[account deactivated]
Erm, not sure. But, we already know about Bush's (RIP) great drive
Hard as it may be to believe, the recent discovery of thousands of pig carcasses floating in a river that supplies drinking water to Shanghai may represent an encouraging step forward in Chinese public health.
now im reading a book about Sikh history by a Punjabi studies maven @ the university of delhi. its rampant cheer leading but if you read between the lines you get a good picture of a hippy cult metamorphosing into a falun gong esque state within a state which transmuted itself into a heavily-armed paramilitary movement by coercing or violently purging any followers who weren't down with temporal violence before taking over the punjab. Good Shit. my genes are singing

littlegreenpills posted:

a hippy cult metamorphosing into a falun gong esque state within a state which transmuted itself into a heavily-armed paramilitary movement by coercing or violently purging any followers who weren't down with temporal violence

lf bithc

currently reading Teilhard de Chardin, Zygmunt Bauman, Reza Negarastani and Jodi Dean: A Radical Fuckin Synthesis by J.P. Grúndlé-Swôrthee