with all due respect, scaling back the calls for front-page posts might help? heavily pushing the notion that we're primarily here to perform rather than to organically interact might have the effect of inhibiting organic interaction

discipline posted:
cool so how would you fix that bro

please do not call me a bro, i am kray sensitive about this things ...

but as for how to fix it, having some "Rhizzone Proselytizres" would help. let us go to reddit, stormfront, 4chan, somewthingawful, gaia online, revleft, and the other 3 corners of the internet to find punching bags!! tehe

but anyway regardless of whether i have a good suggestion, that seems to be the "missing element" so far, not that i have a problem with the forum
maybe we can report the forum to the JIDF to get some flak in here

aerdil posted:
maybe we can report the forum to the JIDF to get some flak in here

hi.

i dont feel too much pressure to post front page articles, although ive had a few in the works for a while. what i feel weird about is reading posts at like 8am, commenting, and then the forum dies until noon when you slobs wake up or w/e. makes it pretty hard to shoot the shit.
if u donrt mind me saying that i think aesthetics plays a huge role in reaching the whole 'marketplace' ideal that you speak of... i had the same feeling about a coffeeshop i worked at shortly after dropping out of architecture... and it's the same feeling that you speak of... in my opinion it's a lack of an aesthetic set of values. those that encourage spontaneous interaction but also are rigid enough to enforce stability. animation works the same way. u gotta make the limbs look like limbs and make them move like limbs before u make the goofy dog flop around all over the place. the coffee shop i speak of had everything you could ask of... terrible food... coffee roasted in house according to ideal criteria. a friendly staff. a bunch of space and a book store and big soft chairs and shit. but what it lacked is what made it crumble and that's any kind of overarching imposition of aesthetic values... the likes of which have been burnt into the retinas of all consumers (e.g. starbucks): rigidity in marketplace identity. a way to make people remember this place when theyre sitting there thinking of waht to do next.

this is waht architecture taught me. you can't have a little of everything and expect your work to be considered great by every one of those venues... you gotta pick one and stick with it. in this forum's case, fortunately, we don't need to worry about content (unlike forums i've tried to manage in the past where i OCDed on the template design but people just ended up posting "helo there" threads within my tediously developed visual constructs). yall got that shit set up with pre-existing "relationships" and immigrated poster reputations and posting styles and keeping a level of care with just the right peppering of drama nad jokes and whatever. but what this place is lacking, and this was my very initial thought when i first saw this forum, was that it could really use a nice visual adjustment. it realy does magic to the brain. maybe i've nailed the problem only to my own selfish desires, but i also believe that it's an effective way to promote the aforementioned "milieu of the marketplace." it's gotta look like a marketpalce. it's gotta smell of fish. there's gotta be little candies to attract the eye.

but that's gotta be made and tbqh im procrastinating on the template shit sorry joey
no i definitely don't mind you saying! that's a great post mang

and to address your point, i think you're right in that this place has a very strange visual aesthetic, as it stands. it's quite distinctive, but.. it's kind of meh, not to insult whoever made it though - a place needs to tinke rwith its aesthetic and even overhaul it many times before it is "right"
earthbond desert would be cool

...................The Forum....................

but this needs a whole writeup because what i mean is actually having certain parts of the site function as different "locations" in a purely metaphorical world. (the power of myth.) then name them accordingly. then have a "sitemap" page where its literally like an earthbound minimap and u can visit these locations. so i guess playing off gaia online lol but turning it around and using it for a good marketplace feel.
... the desert of the real...

to think of it maybe im subconsciously inspired by a russian comedy about capitalism called KinDzaDza. its the best scifi movie. highly recommend it
ku~

e: http://starmen.net/mother2/maps/dustydunesdesert.png

Edited by parabolart ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
promotion and self-promotion fills me with dread, probably need someone who's good at that sort of thing to do it
[account deactivated]
and you call this a living?
ill do it.
whaddaya do for a dying
i was gonna troll the new wddp but its not the same without knowing that somewhere out there cbass is spazzing out

gyrofry posted:
with all due respect, scaling back the calls for front-page posts might help? heavily pushing the notion that we're primarily here to perform rather than to organically interact might have the effect of inhibiting organic interaction

well word, but there has to be like, a balance, you know? nobody wants posting to be a burden to anyone but we still want some stuff out there that sez "these are cool people worth talking to". knowwhaimsayin? knowhahmean?

WOOPS SORRY I FORGOT TO CHANGE ACCOUNTS AGAIN SORRY

NEOADMINISTRATOR posted:

i can help you with that

Crow posted:

NEOADMINISTRATOR posted:

i can help you with that