[account deactivated]
religion is a force of subjugation in theory and in practice, in no way is it liberating
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

liberation theology is when religious people try to tell you that religion has had a positive effect on the world

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

liberation theology is when religious people try to tell you that religion has had a positive effect on the world

well considering the final third of my post is all about how the movement basically failed and everyone was murdered, i'm not really saying religion has had a positive effect on the world, amd especially wouldn't dare make that claim over the entire plane of history. i would however argue that religion has positive potential and that there are revolutionary aspects to christianity that can be and were adopted by substantial populations. it's also not surprising that the liberation theology movement took place far from rome, and also not in the developed west. when religion is used by those with power it might be used to say god told us to invade iraq or do the crusades or something. in the case of liberation theology, the idea took hold in a place where people were oppressed and where revolutionary thought was a natural response, but radical priests and theologians were able to bring that revolutionary fervor to the masses, they were able to condone it as acceptable and in fact necessary. my main man gutierrez supported radical change, as did a guy like torres who became a marxist guerilla, but these guys weren't outliers. like i cited, the conference of latin american bishops was extremely influenced by liberation thought. they were the leftist "intellectuals" who were influencing the masses. this is why there was right-wing blowback in the form of assassinations and propaganda like the "be a patriot, kill a priest" slogan.

i know it's very hard to believe in god with science exalted and it bieng so easy to think about religion from a "rational" pov, which obviously is an entirely natural and entirely absurd way to approach the subject. for those who have trouble believing, myself included, the words of Joel are very comforting and i refer you to his post:

Agnus_Dei posted:

Whether God exists or not, we should believe in Him.

Edited by ilmdge ()

[account deactivated]
God was on the side of Ray Lewis tonight as well as during his murder trial. i.e. he exists and all rhizzone dmv posters should get ready to celebrate god with alchohol
are u drunk huey?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

ilmdge posted:

are u drunk huey?

nah had to drive home :/ drinking now though

drinkin and postin
[account deactivated]
god exists, but anyone that claims to have knowledge of him is a liar and an idiot, including people who claim they know he exists.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

fringus are you ok

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

The Pope retired. First in 600 years to do that...
[account deactivated]
And when he was cardinal he was the guy mostly against liberation theology....maybe god's in the details?! of his illness.
re: the op: agreed

not about god being a marxist or whatever (lmao) but just god existing. same.
Y2nzNm61_Lo