im really proud of how Troop-hating were the youtube comments on that bill hicks bit. only a bit of that weak But You Pay Taxes bullshit. maybe people get it a little bit?
george carlin is right, but the audience cheering for that is silly since they're included in the garbage. he should have told them to sit down, shut up, and feel shame
americans dont feel shame
[account deactivated]
patrick oswald is the best because he likes obama
[account deactivated]
virtually all comedic films and tv shows over the last 30 years have made jokes about male-on-male, animal-on-male or female-on-male rape. empirically: funny
patton oswalts obamaphilia is defensible because i think most of the egregious stuff was recorded in 2008 when everybody was flying high on First Black President Hope and Change
[account deactivated]
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article2564.htm

Not exactly recent but I thought it was appropriate given today.

Though some of the quotes on the new MLK memorial reflect the clear internationalist stance he had, these are some of the best when comparing his words to the pathetic activists of today.

What do they think as we test our latest weapons on them, just as the Germans tested out new medicine and new tortures in the concentration camps of Europe?Where are the roots of the independent Vietnam we claim to be building? Is it among these voiceless ones?

We have destroyed their two most cherished institutions: the family and the village. We have destroyed their land and their crops. We have cooperated in the crushing of the nation's only non-Communist revolutionary political force -- the unified Buddhist church. We have supported the enemies of the peasants of Saigon. We have corrupted their women and children and killed their men. What liberators?

Now there is little left to build on -- save bitterness. Soon the only solid physical foundations remaining will be found at our military bases and in the concrete of the concentration camps we call fortified hamlets. The peasants may well wonder if we plan to build our new Vietnam on such grounds as these? Could we blame them for such thoughts? We must speak for them and raise the questions they cannot raise. These too are our brothers.

Our government felt then that the Vietnamese people were not "ready" for independence, and we again fell victim to the deadly Western arrogance that has poisoned the international atmosphere for so long.

The only change came from America as we increased our troop commitments in support of governments which were singularly corrupt, inept and without popular support. All the while the people read our leaflets and received regular promises of peace and democracy -- and land reform. Now they languish under our bombs and consider us -- not their fellow Vietnamese --the real enemy. They move sadly and apathetically as we herd them off the land of their fathers into concentration camps where minimal social needs are rarely met. They know they must move or be destroyed by our bombs. So they go -- primarily women and children and the aged.

They watch as we poison their water, as we kill a million acres of their crops. They must weep as the bulldozers roar through their areas preparing to destroy the precious trees. They wander into the hospitals, with at least twenty casualties from American firepower for one "Vietcong"-inflicted injury. So far we may have killed a million of them -- mostly children. They wander into the towns and see thousands of the children, homeless, without clothes, running in packs on the streets like animals. They see the children, degraded by our soldiers as they beg for food. They see the children selling their sisters to our soldiers, soliciting for their mothers.

But they asked -- and rightly so -- what about Vietnam? They asked if our own nation wasn't using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted. Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.

As if the weight of such a commitment to the life and health of America were not enough, another burden of responsibility was placed upon me in 1964; and I cannot forget that the Nobel Prize for Peace was also a commission -- a commission to work harder than I had ever worked before for "the brotherhood of man." This is a calling that takes me beyond national allegiances, but even if it were not present I would yet have to live with the meaning of my commitment to the ministry of Jesus Christ.

also deeply, fundamentally, religious. just saying.
yeah the civil right movement exemplified the union of political and spiritual transcendentalism
the civil rights movement exemplified the triumph of covert soviet funding for social agitation

Drank himself to death but the truth all the same.
it would kinda own if the soviet union had actually funded the civil rights movement

deadken posted:
it would kinda own if the soviet union had actually funded the civil rights movement

WOw you're running away from all KINDS of truth nowadays eh

whats the best book to read about nixon, to get a personal sense of him. not like 'heres how many cambodians he killed'

Its weird hearing those tapes of him cause he seems like such a typical person of his generation, like hes my grandfather or something. I dont know if you all had like liberal or marxist parents or whatever but i think most americans would recognize a nixon type in their families.

now to miss my point and link some racist thing he said or whatever, to let me know how horrible and not-typical my family was 40 years ago in some burn against people that are already dead;

Edited by spoon ()

i hope to be the nixon type in my own budding family

spoon posted:
whats the best book to read about nixon, to get a personal sense of him. not like 'heres how many cambodians he killed'

Its weird hearing those tapes of him cause he seems like such a typical person of his generation, like hes my grandfather or something. I dont know if you all had like liberal or marxist parents or whatever but i think most americans would recognize a nixon type in their families.

now to miss my point and link some racist thing he said or whatever, to let me know how horrible and not-typical my family was 40 years ago in some burn against people that are already dead;

i haven't read it or anything but maybe nixonland?

spoon you should check out Nixon's Long Crisis: The Story of How He Killed Cambodians
i bet nixon was a hell of a lot more fun to hang out with than LBJ
i bet they both suck and probably haven't even read any marx
it's almost trite to say it nowadays but Nixon was the best post war president seriously.