[account deactivated]
This articulates the issue really well IMO

Homonationalism is not the end goal of a conspiratorial “gay international,” rather, it is only one aspect of the reworking of the world according to neoliberal logics that maintain not only the balance of of power between states, but also within them. In fact, homonationalism produces normative homosexuality in the same fashion that normative “heterosexuality” continues to be shaped and regulated internationally through the interventions of human rights corporations, international funding and research agencies, and the foreign and domestic policies of states. Thus the The World Bank, The UNDP, Human Rights Watch, and the US State Department together project ideal modes of heterosexuality by promoting “adult” ages of consent, educated, employed and (re) productive couples, and love/choice, non kin and non arranged marriages that mimic the model of “stranger sociality” at large

hi all, this is a really interesting thread. What I appreciate very much about the article is the recognition that homonationalism is understood as part of a larger structure of neoliberal accommodationism that encompasses shifting and unstable constructions of "Others" and citizens. So as the author writes: "Homonationalism is not the end goal of a conspiratorial “gay international,” rather, it is only one aspect of the reworking of the world according to neoliberal logics that maintains not only the balance of of power between states, but also within them." As I have been watching homonationalism become part of many different national organizing agendas against co-optation by various states, and also watching queer organizing "against" homonationalism, I am reminded that, for myself anyway in my original thinking, that homonationalism is not a position, an identity, nor even an accusation, rather it is an assemblage of state practices, transnational movements of capital, bodies and ideas, political and intellectual practices, and geopolitical relations. it is not something that one is either inside of/included or against/outside of--rather it is a structuring force of neoliberal subject formations. As such, homonationalism is not a synonym for gay racism, rather a deep critique of liberal attachments to identity and rights-based discourses that rely on identitarian formations. In Terrorist Assemblages, I do focus not only on the places/sources/events/people that homonationalism might be expected to proliferate, but also places where a resistance to state racism might actually result in forms of homonationalism--for example South Asian queer diasporic organizing. So the question becomes, for me, not so much who can or cannot be called homonationalist, or which organizing projects are or are not homonationalist, but rather how are the structural expectations for homonationalism--which the author notes is becoming hegemonic--negotiated by groups who may well want to resist such interpellation but need to articulate that resistance through the very same logics of homonationalism? How is homonationalism working/being strategically manipulated differently in different national/geopolitical contexts, and are there homonationalisms that become productively intrinsic to national liberation projects rather than national imperialist/expansionist projects? I am still very much thinking about these questions, but I appreciate the article tremendously for bringing up these difficult issues.

"marxsplaining"

We live in a world of rights and in a world where the female and/or queer gendered body (but never, we should note, the male heterosexual body) has become a political anchor.

I don't understand what this means. What is a queer gendered body? What does it mean for such a body to become a political anchor?

[account deactivated]
i think the main point being the distinction between a simple "queer" subject identification vs. a "queer gendered body" as an object of social production
there is a lot of high level technical vocabulary that puar and mikdashi use in their work so i think its a good idea that we try to figure out what their terms are and so that we can become comfortable using them. death to marxplanations.
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
I don't think it's highly technical vocabulary for any reason other than it is dealing with really specific concepts and when you are playing with gender or sexuality + politics you want to be sure you're not throwing around broad generalizations or whatever or else you'll end up like khamsek (the best poster)

yeah its necessary to be precise and this subject is often treated in a very unfair wishy washy way i think

are you two sitting in a room together posting at each other
tghats so fucking beautiful i could cry...
Good thread, by the way.
[account deactivated]

jools posted:
tghats so fucking beautiful i could cry...

jools.... why dont you return my calls anymore

[account deactivated]