[account deactivated]
those people are right, our system is fundamentally broken and not voting democrat is merely voting republican
Part of me wants Obama to lose simply because it will likely hasten the collapse of this nation's prowess on the world stage but there are two major pitfalls:

1. If there's a president with a hateable smug face like Mitt Romney then all the idiots on the left will go back to putting all their anger on one man as if one guy can be responsible for how this entire country and all of its rich allies are filled with billions of horrible, selfish people.

2. A lot of Iranians are potentially going to die.
A. Give the reps everything they want. Call every last single bluff until every single man, woman, and child who isn't a slave to a corporation reaches abject poverty.

B. Fix the system from within by participating in the democratic process and working within the democratic party to influence policy. :downs:

C. Sit on the sidelines and do our best to teach others to see the process as it really is.
(Most of us have resolved to this option?)

Luckily, I don't think that any general in the military is dumb enough to attack Iran or let Israel do so in any serious way.
don't vote.
i can't vote, that's leg day at the gym. embrace the political beauty of the radical swole individual, i always say!! *nervous laughter*
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

internationalist posted:
this entire country and all of its rich allies are filled with billions of horrible, selfish people.

Is this to imply that this is somehow wrong?

Because I don't recall China, India, Japan, Russia, Europe, Australia, or Canada seriously confronting the United States for the suffering and deaths of millions during the past decade. In fact, a lot of those nations actively supported it. The rest are a little more concerned with economic ties with the U.S. than taking a moral stand because their horrible, selfish populations don't care about any other nation that can't help them live like rich Yankees.

At least during the Cold War the Soviet Union and China would lie and pretend to care. Now there isn't even that.

Look at that Russian pretending to care about Iraqis.
I don't want to participate in an election alongside the common sort. Limit the franchise to noble gentlemen and then maybe I shall appear in the voting hall and yell my support for Obama

Lykourgos posted:
I don't want to participate in an election alongside the common sort. Limit the franchise to noble gentlemen and then maybe I shall appear in the voting hall and yell my support for Obama

same but I'd vote for you

Obama managed to get more of the Bush agenda through than Bush on many fronts, and his economic team have made decisions with effects so mal-distributed among minorities that Obama is the most objectively white-supremacist US President since Reagan

dm posted:

i do take offense at the "strange creatures" thing here though

you can also just pull up the transcripts of the press conferences and speeches he gives and he makes his agenda really clear. so even if we assumed that voting could change something here, he is clearly telling you that he does not want your vote
By telling them I'm voting ralph nader whether or not he's running. Ostensibly, the perceived eccentricity of that statement will get them to ignore me.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i can't vote for president in puerto rico but i do receive food stamps
i almost never post political things on facebook. one of the few times i did was after the killing of anwar al-awlaki. two of the people i know in real life that definitely fashion themselves as politically radical de-friended me for it. one said "Birthplace is not a choice, ideology is." the other said that she is still voting for obama no matter what because he is pro-gay rights and hasn't raided any weed dispensaries in denver
if voting for the o-man has no practical significance other than to decriminalize weed, perhaps that's still reason enough

Groulxsmith posted:
i almost never post political things on facebook. one of the few times i did was after the killing of anwar al-awlaki. two of the people i know in real life that definitely fashion themselves as politically radical de-friended me for it. one said "Birthplace is not a choice, ideology is." the other said that she is still voting for obama no matter what because he is pro-gay rights and hasn't raided any weed dispensaries in denver

it's funny, i've never been defriended by any of my conservative (texan and conservative, mind you) friends for anything i've posted on facebook but i have been defriended by obama liberals.

discipline posted:
lol my friend was telling me that david graeber wouldn't have anything against voting for obama so I asked david graeber what he thought

ahahahahahhahaha

I've been posting screeds on Occupy such-and-such walls a lot

Only a coward or an ignoramus would defend the Democratic Party in 2011. The 99% can not be afraid to assert a democratic will on the 1%. Everything is at stake, and there is no room to compromise with the 1% in a time of severe economic and political crisis. Accepting the table scraps that the Democrats throw to us is a shame and a disgrace to the nation and to our democratic ideals. If the 99% don't abolish the dictatorship of the 1% now, while the moment is ripe, how are you who embrace the 1%er parties going to explain to the next generation why they live in poverty and lack any civil rights? That you had to prevent some other faction of 1%ers from taking over? Shame on anyone who even considers re-electing a Democrat, you have no right to complain if you do.

Again, my point is NOT to discourage to voting for the Democrats. Vote for them if you feel that's best. Vote for a third party if you think that's better. At this point, the 99% has no stake in backing any of the 1%er horses that make up the American political arena. My point is only that the Occupy Movement needs to take a clear oppositional stance against the Democratic Party because it is a party for the 1%. We demand a government, economy and society that serves the 99%, and nothing less than that. The Democrats have utterly failed in representing the interests of the 99% and so Occupy should recognize this without hesitation.

It literally doesn't matter at all whether Obama wins or loses the next election. He probably will. Who cares. What is important is that the parts of the Democratic base that vote D because they have left sympathies, a legitimate commitment to politics that improve the general well being of Americans, those who are not just rightists compelled by a cocktail of arrogance and guilt to make lip service to liberalism (which is somehow more disgusting to me than the honest cruelty and malice of our nation's "conservative" politics), not those sick pompous fucks but the people who are intimidated and bullied into participating into what they feel is the best option given a menu presenting various executioners of their families and dreams, those people need to stop being afraid, need to stop being intimidated by these incompetent blood-sucking vermin, murderers, war criminal, if there is to be any pressure from the left, it is they need to be that pressure. The ostensible center-left representation of this country has the easiest job in the world, despite their whining about Republicans stymieing their milquetoast barely-there plans of reform, because no one is willing to check their work and fire them if they don't do their damn job. Fuck them. I can't imagine a pack of bigger failures, and yet they receive support from the working and oppressed people of our country because they're the only game in town. Well, it's time to stop taking that abusive shit that the 1% offers as the "progressive choice" and to become the politics we need. You want to see a Democrat do something other than shit on America to the applause of people like Joe Flowers then don't let them take you for granted. Get mad, get serious, make them earn your vote. You deserve what's coming if you don't.

btw im voting for your mom and she knows why *snaps hands*
my obama democrat roommate literally believes that newt gingrich is going to be the rnc nominee, obama will sweep the elections, the DNC will sweep the elections in Congress, and come 2013 there will be Democrat majorities in house & senate and everything will get fixed and things will be perfect

and i'm the deluded crazy marxist.
i'm genuinely not prepared to guess who the gop nom will be, i literally bet on perry and look how that turned out

Groulxsmith posted:
the other said that she is still voting for obama no matter what because he is pro-gay rights and hasn't raided any weed dispensaries in denver

Republicans Are Stupid Because They Vote on Basically Irrelevant Moral Issues Instead of Their Own Economic Self-Interest

if its ronald paul i will vote for him. toxx, no homo
im going to support obama next year
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:
i'm genuinely not prepared to guess who the gop nom will be, i literally bet on perry and look how that turned out

gingrich is within the realm of possibility, but i have a feeling the gop wouldn't let party democracy get in the way of having a viable candidate. but more absurd things have happened i suppose.

i still think the most likely possibility is a romney/gingrich ticket

president newt gingrich. lmao. lmao
what kind of person names their kid newt
the best possible thing that could happen is for friedman-endorsed third-party "americans elect" to select bloomberg as their candidate, come barreling out the gate with a billion dollar campaign, edge by with 35% of the vote due the the fracturing of the DNC & RNC, then we all hail our new technocratic dystopian wasteland hell yes.
[account deactivated]
the best thing would be for obama to win b/c then the process of mass disenchantment can continue until revolution but thats not going to happen. President Newt. Newt President. hail to the newt
trueley, an historic today. our first amphibian-american president