I'm all for the banning of cigarettes, I don't care. They're stupid and bad. Go to jail smoker scum lawbreakers. Spit on ye. But Peter Singer makes me so furious I want to murder.

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that it would spend $600m over five years to educate the public about the dangers of tobacco use. But Robert Proctor, a historian of science at Stanford University and the author of a forthcoming blockbuster entitled Golden Holocaust: Origins of the Cigarette Catastrophe and the Case for Abolition, argues that to use education as one's only weapon against a highly addictive and often lethal drug is unpardonably insufficient.

I so don't give a shit about Holocaust exceptionalist whining especially given its service to Zionist causes but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The other argument for the status quo is that a ban on tobacco might result in the same kind of fiasco as occurred during Prohibition in the US. That is, like the effort to ban alcohol, prohibiting the sale of tobacco would funnel billions of dollars into organised crime and fuel corruption in law-enforcement agencies, while doing little to reduce smoking.

But that may well be a false comparison. After all, many smokers would actually like to see cigarettes banned because, like Obama, they want to quit.

Die slow, Singer.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/11/2011111392115652662.html

lmao
[account deactivated]
i dont actually care about the gulf or montana
singer made me furious because his eloquent and comprehensive moral reasoning challenged my wrong opinions
i hope that someday we find out that "obesity epidemic" is a direct consequence of the plummet in smoking rates
yes dying a few years earlier in return for a lifetime of drug abuse is the same thing as getting shot at 19 yrs old

giganticass1983 posted:
singer made me furious because his eloquent and comprehensive moral reasoning challenged my wrong opinions

I agree with him and he makes me far more angry than anyone I disagree with. Smash brain

its not that bad once in a while waht the hell is the big deal. a biochem mit grad once explained it to me this way.. here it is.. the deal with tobaco.. sans big words: it opens pretty much most receptors in your brain. some people enjoy that. some people don.t some people get addicted to that. some people like to hold a cock in between their fingers and put it in their mouth. or its a nipple. try to cure someone addicted to potato chips. try it i dare u. fuk singer. fuk america. smoek tobaco everyday

parabolart posted:
its not that bad once in a while waht the hell is the big deal. a biochem mit grad once explained it to me this way.. here it is.. the deal with tobaco.. sans big words: it opens pretty much most receptors in your brain. some people enjoy that. some people don.t some people get addicted to that. some people like to hold a cock in between their fingers and put it in their mouth. or its a nipple. try to cure someone addicted to potato chips. try it i dare u. fuk singer. fuk america. smoek tobaco everyday

Ban everything imo

i hate cigarettes and wish i could stop smoking them. on the other hand without their instructive example i might still be a liberal babby believing in free will and rational action
[account deactivated]
he's dumb, but somehow i admire his commitment to an anachronistic philosophy

discipline posted:
I'm actually much more concerned with the oil spewing out into the gulf of mexico and in the beautiful wilderness of montana much more than babbies trying to shed externalities from our fucked up system that charges you up to $800 per month for healthcare that will drop you like a rock at the first sign of anything that expensive

interestingly petrochemical industry activities might just become a larger health externality over the next century as the fuels get harder and harder to extract if the regulatory state is not restored soon. ha ha

[account deactivated]
singer is just filling a hole in media coverage....
cigarettes are man's way of mastering his own mortality. cigarettes make your life better and your death sooner. cigarettes allow you to introduce an element of tragic sublimity into the washed-out anodyne wilderness of life under late capitalism. cigarettes are awesome and anyone between the ages of 16 and 25 who doesnt smoke should probably just be shot, they have nothing to contribute to the world.
isn't he the don't eat animals dude because it's like eating babies?
[account deactivated]

i hope that someday we find out that "obesity epidemic" is a direct consequence of the plummet in smoking rates

relativity rules everything around me

from 1965-2004, a 20% drop in smoking - a 20% increase in obesity

but what if the bombs traumatized people and drove them to smoking? Rly makes u think

anyway as a rule singer is wrong and dumb on ethical/moral questions

Edited by Lykourgos ()

peter singer owns
it would be cool if cigarettes were bant and all the pathetic half-dead sacks of precancerous lesions spazzed out
smokings fucking sexy though lol Owned
there is nothing more repulsive than a non-smoker. what kind of petty prissy mundane anaesthete would self-identify as a non-smoker. all the ugliest qualities of mankind can be encapsulated in the simple phrase 'non-smoker.' people who pass laws banning smoking in pubs. people who cough ostentatiously when they pass smokers on the street. who are these people and why are they allowed to live. cripes!

keep the lurid pictures of diseased lungs etc on the packets though, theyre funny as hell and dont do shit
this guy never heard of dollar bills or pounds sterling?

deadken posted:
there is nothing more repulsive than a non-smoker. what kind of petty prissy mundane anaesthete would self-identify as a non-smoker. all the ugliest qualities of mankind can be encapsulated in the simple phrase 'non-smoker.' people who pass laws banning smoking in pubs. people who cough ostentatiously when they pass smokers on the street. who are these people and why are they allowed to live. cripes!

keep the lurid pictures of diseased lungs etc on the packets though, theyre funny as hell and dont do shit

ya nothing as aesthetically pleasing as brown teeth, smelling like grandma at a bonfire, and continually horking up thick little gobs of shit while standing outside in the rain with the posture and body language of a petty criminal

beauty....... *single tear rolls down jaundiced,, spotted face and pools near nose on the oxygen tube*
uh what...

goopstein posted:
while standing outside in the rain with the posture and body language of a petty criminal

lmao

whatever happened to social smoking? oh - capital. sorry i forgot.
you know who ELSE loved cigarettes?

That's right

groucho marx looks weird with a clean shave

goopstein posted:
ya nothing as aesthetically pleasing as brown teeth, smelling like grandma at a bonfire, and continually horking up thick little gobs of shit while standing outside in the rain with the posture and body language of a petty criminal

yeah that sounds aesthetic as fuck

goopstein posted:
beauty....... *single tear rolls down jaundiced,, spotted face and pools near nose on the oxygen tube*

yeah old emphysemic greaseglobs arent aesthetic but old people should probably be culled anyway unless theyre like, entertainingly demented, or, david attenborough, or, the prim old ladies i see waving stalin flags at protests

the elderly are invaluable and possess the great wisdom of tradition

deadken posted:
goopstein posted:

yeah that sounds aesthetic as fuck

lol i just checked me rep and p much all my downvotes are from grumblefish, shine on u crazy diamond
im going to get the words AESTHETIC AS FUCK tattooed across my chest
put it in lower case though

also im thinking of getting the words tat tvam asi on me somewhere, what do u think. also the serbian black hand