is it just me or are all these crumbling forums akin to empires spewing refugees all over the web to install their own structures only those are defaults provided by a list from free-php-mysql-forum-sotfware .com which is in turn the paradigm that they're accustomed to and unable to shed
[account deactivated]
im guessing you mean SA & others? well, truly who knows!
[account deactivated]
i dont mean this forum, i mean all the ones that came before this
welp i was more leading towards the lack of ingenuity in the data architecture arranging our discussions on the internet.

parabolart posted:
welp i was more leading towards the lack of ingenuity in the data architecture arranging our discussions on the internet.

o. this one's for joey then!

[account deactivated]
this forum was conceived & then created before there was any conflicts between wddp
i mean i can understand it as social technology interplaying with social alienation, causing constant profligation, recreating itself

e: kinda like that one article about how hierarchical societies profligated across the world as people unhappy with their status established new geographical coordinates with the same old hierarchies, except them now at the top (think like Puritans & assorted whites settling north America, and exterminating indigenous groups, particularly who are hunter-gatherers)

parabolart posted:

what alternative would you suggest? google wave?

this is what i was talking about

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0024683

The causes of socioeconomic inequality have been debated since the time of Plato. Many reasons for the development of stratification have been proposed, from the need for hierarchical control over large-scale irrigation systems to the accumulation of small differences in wealth over time via inheritance processes. However, none of these explains how unequal societies came to completely displace egalitarian cultural norms over time. Our study models demographic consequences associated with the unequal distribution of resources in stratified societies. Agent-based simulation results show that in constant environments, unequal access to resources can be demographically destabilizing, resulting in the outward migration and spread of such societies even when population size is relatively small. In variable environments, stratified societies spread more and are also better able to survive resource shortages by sequestering mortality in the lower classes. The predictions of our simulation are provided modest support by a range of existing empirical studies. In short, the fact that stratified societies today vastly outnumber egalitarian societies may not be due to the transformation of egalitarian norms and structures, but may instead reflect the more rapid migration of stratified societies and consequent conquest or displacement of egalitarian societies over time.

We hypothesize, therefore, that the spread of socioeconomic stratification may have been a result of cultural change via demic diffusion. In other words, socioeconomic stratification may have spread across the globe over the past several thousand years, not because it provided apparent advantages that led to its adoption by egalitarian cultures, but simply because it altered demographic outcomes in ways that produced an increase in frequency of stratified populations, through population expansion or the outward migration of populations in search of additional territory and resources.

im talking about taking old MUD engines and rewriting them to relevant real world events the same way the Algerians used film to train their own we aught to be using worms armageddon or Go to better grasp territory control and gravity rather than how to better ourselves at drinking coffee and scrolling down the linear thread with our index finger

take the history of wikipedia and you see how the development of hypertext is based more on research of cognitive psychology and how highlighting certain werds blue and underlining them makes those words stand out, rather than the effort to produce a Free and Uniform Encyclopedia of Everything (online!). in which case the style of the word makes you think that word is more important as compared to greek rhetoric where if one wants a sentence or a statement to stand out, he/she has to surround it by a bunch of likewise not-blue-or-underlined text that improves the relative standing of the former.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1945/07/as-we-may-think/3881/1/ posted:
The real heart of the matter of selection, however, goes deeper than a lag in the adoption of mechanisms by libraries, or a lack of development of devices for their use. Our ineptitude in getting at the record is largely caused by the artificiality of systems of indexing. When data of any sort are placed in storage, they are filed alphabetically or numerically, and information is found (when it is) by tracing it down from subclass to subclass. It can be in only one place, unless duplicates are used; one has to have rules as to which path will locate it, and the rules are cumbersome. Having found one item, moreover, one has to emerge from the system and re-enter on a new path.

The human mind does not work that way. It operates by association. With one item in its grasp, it snaps instantly to the next that is suggested by the association of thoughts, in accordance with some intricate web of trails carried by the cells of the brain. It has other characteristics, of course; trails that are not frequently followed are prone to fade, items are not fully permanent, memory is transitory. Yet the speed of action, the intricacy of trails, the detail of mental pictures, is awe-inspiring beyond all else in nature.

Man cannot hope fully to duplicate this mental process artificially, but he certainly ought to be able to learn from it. In minor ways he may even improve, for his records have relative permanency. The first idea, however, to be drawn from the analogy concerns selection. Selection by association, rather than indexing, may yet be mechanized. One cannot hope thus to equal the speed and flexibility with which the mind follows an associative trail, but it should be possible to beat the mind decisively in regard to the permanence and clarity of the items resurrected from storage.

maybe this is old news but i dont see anyone implementing it, and if anything, new forum Technology is just adding more columns and features to the forum rather than improving the overall efficacy

Edited by parabolart ()

the carolingian period of forumsdom
all the cool cats are doing it

Apparently, IBM has left a senior researcher free to pursue a project that combines global positioning technology that can resolve a 3-dimensional point in space a cubic meter in size with new URL address technology that will allow each of those cubic meters to have its own unique IP Address.

WorldBoard is a proposed planetary augmented reality system that facilitates innovative ways of associating information with places. Short-term the goal is to allow users to post messages on any of the six faces of every cubic meter (a hundred billion billion cubic meters) of space humans might go on this planet (see personal web pages when you look at someone's office door; label interesting plants and rocks on nature trails). Long-term WorldBoard allows users to experience any information in any place, co-registered with reality.

all joke aside this
http://www.electronicbookreview.com/action/Search?kw=communication
vs
http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/American-Dad/bd-p/americandad

if you color code the users theyll be more focused on their identities and forum ego VS detailed categories of subject relevance to the rest of the site

parabolart posted:
all joke aside this
http://www.electronicbookreview.com/action/Search?kw=communication
vs
http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/American-Dad/bd-p/americandad

if you color code the users theyll be more focused on their identities and forum ego VS detailed categories of subject relevance to the rest of the site

ooooooo

do you think we can begin integrating that into the layout here?

thats up to joey to Cook Up i presume but that shouldn't be too hard??
i asked talked to him about changing the actual templates beyond just changing colors via css, but he's on a tight schedule, and if anybuddy knows Python i'm sure he could use help with such things
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
poor contrabassoon. i feel for ya mate

Ya it must be hard to have the perfect storm of bmi + serious mental issues necessary to spaz out for three weeks because a 70+ year old person died of natural causes

goopstein posted:
tpaine posted:
poor contrabassoon. i feel for ya mate

Ya it must be hard to have the perfect storm of bmi + serious mental issues necessary to spaz out for three weeks because a 70+ year old person died of natural causes

Now thats what i call

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
pretty rude to do that because they'll never eclipse my success

it'd be like naming your kid einstein
yeah i agree, i was posting about this kind of stuff back at the 'dp, and people were arguing that especially for lgbt people the internet is basically the only way of finding supportive people and the friendships there are just as real, and what i was arguing was akin to saying Try Harder To Make Friends. and i dont think thats the case really. i mean wddp had a high concentration of lgbt people, but it started off in sa, which didnt. and the reason they found each other was because they went off looking for each other, because the anonymity of the internet meant that they were less hesitant in forging connections. and only then do they raise the masks a lil and think that theyre friends. but theyre not, not really. like when alan was having an extended breakdown and people were wringing their hands and making posts about how much they cared i couldnt help but think that an actual friend would be able to go there in person and comfort him and make sure he didnt suicide himself. and i think the truth is that if they had put more effort into finding people like themselves in real life they'd be happier and less miserable all the time because there is no substitute for actual genuine human contact, we're talking through text and pixels and wires, until we go full singularity it will not be the same. in conclusion, everyone needs to take more cocaine

deadken posted:
yeah i agree, i was posting about this kind of stuff back at the 'dp, and people were arguing that especially for lgbt people the internet is basically the only way of finding supportive people and the friendships there are just as real, and that what i was saying was akin to saying Try Harder To Make Friends. and i dont think thats the case really. i mean wddp had a high concentration of lgbt people, but it started off in sa, which didnt. and the reason they found each other was because they went off looking for each other, because the anonymity of the internet meant that they were less hesitant in forging connections. and only then do they raise the masks a lil and think that theyre friends. but theyre not, not really. like when alan was having an extended breakdown and people were wringing their hands and making posts about how much they cared i couldnt help but think that an actual friend would be able to go there in person and comfort him and make sure he didnt suicide himself. and i think the truth is that if they had put more effort into finding people like themselves in real life they'd be happier and less miserable all the time because there is no substitute for actual genuine human contact, we're talking through text and pixels and wires, until we go full singularity it will not be the same. in conclusion, everyone needs to take more cocaine

whoa. quote...... is not edit

discipline posted:
I think that's why I'm so against making posting more about personalities and less about content. I see it as an imposition from the outside, not a comfort level that we've reached with one another.

I agree with much of what you said, but I think you're making a category error. I think one of the problems at that other place was indeed the sort of bleed over between facebook-style 'real life' persona and constructed internet persona. I don't think that is an inevitable outcome of casual posting however. I would point back to the original ell eff and suggest that for a good time there we were mostly able to effectively combine casual posting (under constructed personæ) with semi-frequent legitimately serious and interesting posts.

im really wary of linking my dead ken identity to my actual fleshspace being, i like a lot of yall as posters but i really do have no desire to meet internet people irl, posting is just a weird thing that i do that literally none of my friends know about, like i got a couple mates who post on reddit and other similarly bad places and the thought of telling them about the 'dp or this place never once crossed my mind, i get sensations of almost abjection from the idea, god knows why, guess im brain borken
thing is 'dead ken' is literally not different at all to how i am irl, i say stupid shit to be contrary and ramble about theory and talk about myself incessantly and if im in understanding company i do my ironic antisemitism schtick and people still tolerate me, its really weird
wholey shit its 4 am. bed time 4 ken.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

deadken posted:
thing is 'dead ken' is literally not different at all to how i am irl, i say stupid shit to be contrary and ramble about theory and talk about myself incessantly and if im in understanding company i do my ironic antisemitism schtick and people still tolerate me, its really weird

doubtful. of course when I post I feel like It's Really Me Posting sometimes but I know better.

i dunno. i feel like most posters are either polar opposites of their offline personalities or exactly the same. violently angry nerds are obviously timid as hell irl, depresso krew would def be as moaningly pitiful if they had friends to interact with

discipline posted:
I understand that there are some people who can't function socially offline due to handicap or sickness or even circumstance or whatever but that doesn't mean that the relationships you forge online are replacements or sufficient. the biggest danger is when you start to think they're friends or something and you say you're gonna kill yourself and then everyone is like "welp" when your irl friend should be wrestling the gun out of your hands or something. at the end wddp was looking like some sort of really incredibly failed social experiment ala lord of the flies or something.

wddp is why guattari was wrong as hell, keep the patients in their cells

thing is people didnt go 'welp' when wddps talked about suicide, they swarmed all over them with glomping emoticons and long paragraphs about how much they loved them and its all meaningless, utterly meaningless, a real friend wouldn't do that, they'd slap you round the face and tell you to shut the fuck up and then actually listen to your problems instead of using them as an excuse to be seen to be caring and supportive, its incredibly unhealthy
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]