there is beauty in transcendence and beauty in immanence, beauty in the imagined and beauty in the existent, beauty in the abstract and beauty in the personal, beauty in that which provokes sublime terror and beauty in that which comforts. p cool that those are all attributes of god huh

deadken posted:
there is beauty in transcendence and beauty in immanence, beauty in the imagined and beauty in the existent, beauty in the abstract and beauty in the personal, beauty in that which provokes sublime terror and beauty in that which comforts. p cool that those are all attributes of god huh

this is u irl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ECtj-ViHM

you remember barack obama? he's back, in plate form!

deadken posted:

yea

god has no attributes by definition
ht + (h * 10^37)
i dont know of any religion wherein god has no attributes by definition actually
how big is your god, what shape is he, what is his maximum velocity
What does green taste like?
allah has attributes as long as they are attributes that sound nice but are not even strictly definable let alone measurable in any coherent way
tpaine was right about your god being dumber and crazier than other impossible nonexistent creatures. i can reasonably tell you a rough estimate of the size, color, shape, maximum speed and powers of a mermaid, for example
an attribute is not necessarily an empirically measurable thing

god's attributes are reasonably well defined though, its not like its vague an nebulous, or unclear about what his attributes are

goopstein posted:
tpaine was right about your god being dumber and crazier than other impossible nonexistent creatures. i can reasonably tell you a rough estimate of the size, color, shape, maximum speed and powers of a mermaid, for example

if your complaint that you can not physically manhandle the originator of all being then i donno what to tell you

wrongissmo on both counts

babyfinland posted:

goopstein posted:

if your complaint that you can not physically manhandle the originator of all being then i donno what to tell you

nah my complaint is that theres no evidence for that existence let alone all the other goofy secondary bs assigned to him

no actually im quite right. the debate in the abrahamic tradition over the significance of gods revealed attributes is extensive to the point of tedium and this is due to the comprehensive detail in which they were revealed.
Deadken do goatsteins have souls
like lets say youre a muslim. the high degree of complexity of the universe means a divine actor. ignore all the logical problems with this and accept it as true for the sake of argument. following from a divine actor, an dude talked to a magic creature and now we cant eat shellfish. makes sense

babyfinland posted:
no actually im quite right. the debate in the abrahamic tradition over the significance of gods revealed attributes is extensive to the point of tedium and this is due to the comprehensive detail in which they were revealed.

i understand that there is quite a debate in the halls of paris as to the style and colour of the emperors cumberbund as well

muslims can eat shellfish
I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby!

goopstein posted:

babyfinland posted:

i understand that there is quite a debate in the halls of paris as to the style and colour of the emperors cumberbund as well

right and i dont think you could characterize those debates by lack of attention to detail

babyfinland posted:
muslims can eat shellfish

sounds haraam 2 me. sry about your false interpretation of a real thing that happened.

babyfinland posted:

goopstein posted:

babyfinland posted:

right and i dont think you could characterize those debates by lack of attention to detail

lol

lol i just got your post
lets touch peens

babyfinland posted:

He is right that religion is a crutch for every man. We fall into escapist fantasies when we become weak and give up. We need only our desire for it to be true, the comfort that it is true, to fall peacefully into this trap. This he calls the eye of the heart. For the sake of our facade of integrity we may not speak it out loud but what we actually feel will be the relief of accepting consolation in all the dumb myths we ever found attractive in satisfying our death-denial. This is because the truth is too much to bear, it is too painful and difficult and we will break down and accept untruth for reasons of neutralizing despair. Philosophical suicide.

But it is for people who have already stopped fighting, not for those of us in their prime who must see things with clarity and accuracy and truth. We are young and strong enough to bear the burden of stark reality for now. Religion is part of retirement. Those of us striving for political power need Plato, we need to become philosopher-kings and direct society if we want to save people in a real and material manner and not just one of dying more peacefully. But he's not giving Plato his due because Plato encouraged the creation of a new religion with a much more just God than the ones which were in Greek society at the time; he did not recommend the abolition of religion but its modification for the betterment of the people. Public atheism would be a punishable offense in his ideal state since its sanctioned mythology was a key aspect to cultural solidarity and the moral grounding of the common man.

babyfinland posted:
Deadken do goatsteins have souls

they dont believe in them so i guess not. also, poss. jew? def not

Impper posted:

not me i shower regularly

deadken posted:
Where religion dreams of transcendence atheism insists on limits, where religion crafts finely wrought structures of exquisite nonsense atheism squeezes out a green-grey turd of concrete existence, where religion finds its Beyond in the passions of the human soul atheism's only Beyond is the cold empty distances of space we deceive ourselves into thinking beautiful with false-colour photographs, where religion is audaciously absurd atheism plods along on a slug's monopod leaving behind a sticky trail of mundane mumbling and the smell of cabbage farts.

agreed but only if you replace 'religion' with 'the assorted works of George R.R. Martin'

Charlie Check'm, The Homophobic Atheist Rapper

deadken posted:
Charlie Check'm, The Homophobic Atheist Rapper

His Twitter feed is full of spam http://twitter.com/#!/nogaymarriage

[account deactivated]

deadken posted:
Impper posted:

not me i shower regularly

Congratulations, fuck! You're the biggest dirtbag on the forum!

deadken posted:
Where religion dreams of transcendence atheism insists on limits, where religion crafts finely wrought structures of exquisite nonsense atheism squeezes out a green-grey turd of concrete existence, where religion finds its Beyond in the passions of the human soul atheism's only Beyond is the cold empty distances of space we deceive ourselves into thinking beautiful with false-colour photographs, where religion is audaciously absurd atheism plods along on a slug's monopod leaving behind a sticky trail of mundane mumbling and the smell of cabbage farts.

replaced religion with capitalism and atheism with marxism and the sentence still works quite well

tpaine posted:
god is defined in such a way that we could never exist in the same universe, due to its logically incongruent and perpetually ineffable attributes (like boogervillain said "we can't manhandle it"), without being elevated to godhood ourselves and being removed from this universe, never to return and never to remember anything of our past lives or retain any of our past attributes. basically when you die, you're going to become a completely different thing and might as well just have drifted off into oblivion instead from the perspective we currently hold, either way 'you' are gone forever and replaced by something else entirely, part an infinitely large mass of mini-gods who are each the same as god but aren't the original one and have no individual characteristics

that is if you place any value on religious ideas and take them to any kind of logical or rational conclusion, which isn't something you should ever do

basically

aerdil posted:
deadken posted:

replaced religion with capitalism and atheism with marxism and the sentence still works quite well

ahaha

y'all are gross cosmopolitan religious people. stop it.

aerdil posted:

deadken posted:

lol

except, not really, b/c despite is excesses capitalism still presents itself as pragmatic, 'realistic' & normative; also marxism maintains a faith in the Beyond unless its the type of marxism that still obsesses over 20th century dictators