Myfanwy posted:
How effective could Turkey's military be if they had to fight Israel? They have a little experience from Cyprus and h bacck Egypt's military showed it could fight decently under a good AA screen but not without it. But has it become a rusty regime protection bureau? Aaaah my scalp just started bleeding like Zorg in the 5th element eww maybe I shouldn't think about this anymore

they would mop the floor with IDF in a straight fight but it's not going to happen and any fantasizing about how can it happen is retarded "omg neo-ottomanism!" hysteria.

like that article in the OP btw

discipline posted:
eew gross, was that blood? I always thought it was oil or something...

Noo that was dark oxygen depleted blood from Mr. Shadow mentally sueezing him, showing he was fully in the grip of evil

and as for neo-ottoman fantasies, it's more a matter of Turkey having the muscle to take its new place as the power in the m.e. than anything else. It's a shame that the gulf wars had to happen, Iraq was such a nice counterweight to Israel. Poor Saddam was set up from the word go. See what would happen if someone was slant drilling Israel's oil.
I suppose it's going to be a sort of two tiered system, with Turkey leading one and Iran leading the other, and Saudi standing in the middle with the gulf states behind it?

what is happening is turkey getting out of its usual hyper-isolationist stance when it comes to matters in the region(which was a cornerstone of kemalism) and having some agency outside of nato for once. turkey is one of the strongest players in the region but they doesn't have any substantial interest in agressively pursuing influence in the mid-east. the recent outbursts of erdogan is not that surprising if you knew how the man was like in internal politics. he is literally incapable of being modest and tactful. perfect companion for netanyahu.
remember when turkey invaded iraq and america was all like 'u cant do that thats our job' lol
myfanwy and redfiesta are on point imo

people forget that turkey is a NATO partner. they have a decent military and certainly far and above the most able one in the middle east
im having trouble envisioning an egyptian leadership that is suddenly openly hostile to israel again at the level that actually controls things. of course the popular anti-israel sentiment is there amongst the egyptian people, but the generals who retain complete control of the entire egyptian government are paid millions upon millions to keep the guns pointed away from israel. even assuming that the recent uprising in egypt ends in "success," the egyptian public holding any sort of real influence over the egyptian army is a long, long way off.

also, turkey has serious aspirations about being some "gateway to the west" ME nation, and i dont think that the powers that be in turkey would be willing to risk the goodwill of the US, NATO, EU, etc. (which are essential to said aspirations) in order to put the hurt to israel. i mean, what do they really stand to gain? (other than satisfying the wants/needs of the general public, which is never a real consideration.) basically, turkey has little political need for conflict so they will keep up the strong talk to save face but take no further action.

saber-rattling is one thing, but there is no impetus for real strategic moves at the moment. the generals and politicians that hold power can simply pay lip-service to the anti-zionist sentiment.

Can the West reshape Libya as it did post-WWII Europe to meet its goals of neocolonial hegemony? Not likely, as Turkey was pragmatic enough to get in on the ground and will be able to ensure that Libyans are not duped by their clever Western advisers.

lollin' hard at this. as though its a matter of trickery, rather than being outright materially and financially beholden...

egypt and turkey are seeing this as an opportunity to renegotiate for a better deal

i think the US does as well to some degree, and that the US-Israel alliance isn't really as important anymore
codreanu we need a man of your strength now to fight the zionists

babyfinland posted:
egypt and turkey are seeing this as an opportunity to renegotiate for a better deal

i agree on this, the article i guess just painted things a little more excitedly than seemed realistic

VoxNihili posted:

babyfinland posted:

i agree on this, the article i guess just painted things a little more excitedly than seemed realistic

thats our pepe