Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:
the jacobins are quintessential liberals Bruv

to be a liberal today is to be a monarchist in jacobin times

are political ideologies contextually overriden or are we talking about class allegiances or what are we talking about here. you guys are sloppy as fark

ahistorical too

you might think im being pedantic or whatever here but i think the tendency to ride along the delineated left-right configuration with its center pegged to an impossible equilibrium, revising the position historical ideas have as you go.. it is reckless and clumsy and certainly not doing any problem-solving

the present should be configured according to the ideas, not the other way around

babyfinland posted:
you might think im being pedantic or whatever here but i think the tendency to ride along the delineated left-right configuration with its center pegged to an impossible equilibrium, revising the position historical ideas have as you go.. it is reckless and clumsy and certainly not doing any problem-solving

the present should be configured according to the ideas, not the other way around

Uh yeah but we;re talkin about our Right to Rebel against Reactionaries, and these liberals arent givin the case that they aint a good argueant. Peace

babyfinland posted:

i think it is eminently obvious that when i say liberals are wishy washy i dont mean robespierre

class > contingency > narrative > Pure Ideas
The liberals fundamentally see themselves as the victors of the revolutions of America and France and so the liberals in both continents defend the fundamentals of the status quo. It is only details, policy, nuance, that needs modification.
The liberals are opposed by conservatives who adhere to traditions that are pre-Modernity (e.g. religion, marriage, gender roles), pre-Enlightenment and therefore pre-Revolution. They are, however, correct in the notion that liberals are foolish in believing in egalitarianism (the idea that everything which is unequal can and should be made equal). The generally accepted father of "conservativism" is Edmund Burke, who approved of the American Revolution, but disapproved of the French Revolution, calling it "a nation undone."
Why do people think just because David Graeber wrote Debt the first 5000 years he doesn't have retarded liberal politics? Read any of his other work, especially about marxism vs. anarchism. It's embarrassing. In fact it was weird to me that he got big in LF all of a sudden because he's been around for a while and has very dumb views.
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
haha I think you guys are so mean. getting hipped out and holding a placard hoping to get laid (WHILE hating wall street) is a way more healthy social activity than like, posting on certain websites for 20 hours a day

this is actually true, i definitely felt this way in the D&D thread in which people who don't have the first clue about activism, power, or political economy were nonstop hating at people who were out there and aren't 400 pounds. also felt this way in the juggalo thread, it was basically a bunch of nerds looking down on white working class people having fun and putting some meaning in their lives.

most people say the internet is neutral for political action because it's technology, and comp sci goons think it's going to change the world, but I actually think its a really bad thing. it's created a class of people who are anti-social, depressed, and encouraged by other depressed people to be nihilistic. i really feel drained when i post on the internet, it's so addicting and depressing at the same time.

[account deactivated]
if only there were more juggalos.
It's always rather lame when people criticize others for discussing political issues online. Especially while doing so themselves.
heh, dumb hipsters. actually doing things in real life.

*goes back to writing something about zizek for front page of rhizzone*
I do not classify these protestors as liberals or hipsters. To me, they are all left-wing individuals, with a sprinkling of libertarians. Most of them are young, college-aged, and with certain deviations in characterization appropriate to their age. But I am forced to ask myself: What is this about?

Honestly, this doesn't make me ask "What is Wall Street about" (I already have a well-established answer to that question, and trade stocks myself). Rather, it makes me think, "What are these kids learning such that they pick up these views?"

I think it is mostly a product of the Internet.

babyhueypnewton posted:
discipline posted:
this is actually true, i definitely felt this way in the D&D thread in which people who don't have the first clue about activism, power, or political economy were nonstop hating at people who were out there and aren't 400 pounds. also felt this way in the juggalo thread, it was basically a bunch of nerds looking down on white working class people having fun and putting some meaning in their lives..

lmao

honestly if activism is your thing, go for it. it's a fun pastime, like sewing or shooting ducks. it's enjoyable to see the wide eyed gazes of out-of-town shoppers on michigan ave, while the protestors reciprocate the gaze and chant slogans. it's fun to see something happening, if only for a moment, even if it's stupid and ultimately worthless. even an uncentered, self-conscious conviction toward a new human project is better (if only psychically) than sinking into the swamp of the placid status quo

babyhueypnewton posted:

discipline posted:
haha I think you guys are so mean. getting hipped out and holding a placard hoping to get laid (WHILE hating wall street) is a way more healthy social activity than like, posting on certain websites for 20 hours a day

this is actually true, i definitely felt this way in the D&D thread in which people who don't have the first clue about activism, power, or political economy were nonstop hating at people who were out there and aren't 400 pounds. also felt this way in the juggalo thread, it was basically a bunch of nerds looking down on white working class people having fun and putting some meaning in their lives.

most people say the internet is neutral for political action because it's technology, and comp sci goons think it's going to change the world, but I actually think its a really bad thing. it's created a class of people who are anti-social, depressed, and encouraged by other depressed people to be nihilistic. i really feel drained when i post on the internet, it's so addicting and depressing at the same time.

poliitcs is for perverts and losers

Actually what you should be doing is posting on the internet.
reading lungfish posting about american politics is what it feels like to go insane

discipline posted:

when young pro-establishment people get together to network, no one thinks twice about it

babyhueypnewton posted:

they are shit and worse than doing nothing because it diffuses societal angst through channels that are purposely created to accomplish nothing. its merely a giant rat wheel for idiotic and self righteous liberals to assuage their guilt and feel important.

liberal movements serve only to further reinforce and embolden capitalism
Dont Wake Daddy
Please WorkOut and arm self with bill of rights for we make battle against usa menace. epic non-violent war time engage #finalfancybattlemusic #panic!atthewallstreet
[account deactivated]

babyhueypnewton posted:
Why do people think just because David Graeber wrote Debt the first 5000 years he doesn't have retarded liberal politics? Read any of his other work, especially about marxism vs. anarchism. It's embarrassing. In fact it was weird to me that he got big in LF all of a sudden because he's been around for a while and has very dumb views.

its pretty retarded to pay attention to anything normative in his work, but like chomsky the well-researched & careful analysis can sometimes bring out a few interesting and worthy ideas. you wont have much of a contemporary canon if u continually ignore all dumb liberals as a matter of course (only ignoring most of them is appropriate). ravage their work for any redeeming characteristics. think robespierre.

These people aren't liberals, they are leftists who are directly taking on capitalism through protest and action. They are taking on risks to their reputation which LFers are all too happy to exploit for their own amusement and misguided sense of superiority. LF is much more made up of "hipsters and liberals" than Occupy Wall Street.
[account deactivated]
america.jpg

there are no leftists in america
i don't have a problem with protesting. i do have a problem with people slandering the good name of people who work hard all day. guess what, folks, learning how to tom-tom drum is not helping our economy.
getfiscal i have my laptop at the austin general assembly right now and i'm workin between debating sessions. fuckoff. go outside and make democracy

e- i filed a patent from here today

Edited by domn ()

domn posted:
getfiscal i have my laptop at the austin general assembly right now and i'm workin between debating sessions. fuckoff. go outside and make democracy

e- i filed a patent from here today

AmericanNazbro posted:
they are shit and worse than doing nothing because it diffuses societal angst through channels that are purposely created to accomplish nothing.

http://www.rhizzone.net

AmericanNazbro posted:
they are shit and worse than doing nothing because it diffuses societal angst through channels that are purposely created to accomplish nothing. its merely a giant rat wheel for idiotic and self righteous liberals to assuage their guilt and feel important.

liberal movements serve only to further reinforce and embolden capitalism

purposely created by whom

this is only good if it develops into a confrontation with the police and serves to radicalize them, like DNC 1968
[account deactivated]
#standaroundpurposelessonwallst #thislittlelightofmine #phdsonstrike
[account deactivated]