Serbian designer wins competition for a global human rights logo

The winning logo for human rights
A global online initiative - backed by governments and activists - has announced a Serbian designer as the winner of a competition to 'crowdsource' the first ever internationally recognized symbol for human rights.

After four months and a global online campaign - backed by governments in Europe, North and South America, and Asia, and prominent activists - Predrag Stakic has been announced as the winner of a competition to find a logo for human rights.

Stakic's winning entry - which features a dove-like hand - was chosen from a short list of ten finalists and won the most votes in a public online ballot. It was open to people around the world.

The 32-year-old graphic designer from Belgrade said "no single logo can change the world - including this one. But a logo is a symbol that people can rally around - and they can change the world," Stakic said.

The 10 finalists of the human rights logo competitionThe ten finalists were hotly debated online

A stick in the sand

Until now, there has been no internationally recognized symbol for human rights - unlike the peace or anti-nuclear movements - and even recycling.

But the organizers of the Logo for Human Rights Initiative say they hope the new logo will "make a peaceful contribution towards the global spread and implementation of human rights."

They allowed entrants to design their logos with computer technology, a simple pen and paper, paints, or even just a stick in the sand.

'Crowdsourcing' a winner

Starting on May 3, people from 190 countries submitted over 15,000 logo suggestions - and sparked some heated debate on the initiative's website, humanrightslogo.net

The winning design in the competition for a human rights logoThe design was inspired by the UN Universal Declaration of Human RightsThe initiative was headed by the German foreign ministry and those of nine partner countries.

International design experts and former leaders also lent the initiative high-profile support and acted as jurors.

They included designer Erik Spiekermann, the Chinese activist and artist Ai Weiwei, Nobel Peace Prize Laurettes Jimmy Carter of the United States, Burmese democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, economist Muhammad Yunus, former President of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev, and the Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales - to name just a few.

The jury chose the ten finalists from the many thousands of entries. But the final vote was cast by people around the world online.

By the people - for the people

It has been described as the biggest ever exercise in crowdsourcing - a process where large, unspecified groups of people can contribute to a common goal. The organizers say it means the logo is "by the people, for the people."

Although there are 6.8 billion people living on the planet, and all of us have human rights, the organizers say there has been no way - until now - to overcome "language barriers to communicate this universal bond symbolically."

Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who spent much of the past 20 years under house arrest, said she hoped that an internationally recognized human rights logo would "bring it home to people everywhere that our basic needs are the same."

Stakic will receive 5,000 euro ($6,745) in prize money.
this sounds like something out of a 70s sci fi novel about kkonsumer kulture
lol $5000
ahahahahahahahahahaha

International design experts and former leaders also lent the initiative high-profile support and acted as jurors.

They included designer Erik Spiekermann, the Chinese activist and artist Ai Weiwei, Nobel Peace Prize Laurettes Jimmy Carter of the United States, Burmese democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, economist Muhammad Yunus, former President of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev, and the Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales - to name just a few.

wow i missed that, what an allstar cast
lmfao look at the other finalists

how can you possibly get more neutered than this

http://humanrightslogo.net/ideas
wheheheh i love that second one - its like theyre hugging!!
i really love this one

Equal Arms

maybe if all teh world had equal arms thered finally be some human rights..
You can't hug someone when your arms are all fucked up
ahahahahah yesssssssss
[account deactivated]
they should have combined the two birdhands so it looks like the birds are kissing and the humans are bumping thumbs (popular greeting among free people)

Skylark posted:

whats your favourite, honey.

"no limits to get our rights" is a good title because i like what it stands for, but it doesn't really get my attention like the ones whose titles are in all caps. the judges are getting kinda old so they probably didn't bother looking at the ones with names in lowercase letters
the best logo would be a gun pointed at an oppressor's face

or the human shield
all the rest look like logos for medical co-ops or insurance companies
The band All-American Rejects were commissioned to compose a six-second piece of "peaceful, with an edge" music to be played at the unveiling of the logo.
Please look:
A Cool Drawing by Jimbo Wales

germanjoey posted:

The Right To Give Another Man's Wife A Foot Massage

They are Mine! All Your Rights are Belong to Us
Rights must be marketed. If a right is not fulfilled, consumers will get it elsewhere.

jettojagga posted:
all the rest look like logos for medical co-ops or insurance companies

i dont think thats a coincidence...

explain for a dummy . . .

Nice to see Gorbachev is still getting work.
The two germanjoey quoted are the bad guys' logo from an early Cronenberg
Pretty hilarious that it's a Serbian guy who made the logo too. Good thing his country got blown up and disciplined by the IMF so they could learn to respect human rights!

Skylark posted:

maybe on the bottom right image they should have stuck with skin-neutral colors so one doesn't look at it clockwise and go "africans, asians, whites, reptoids..."

a thought occurs that the winning entry is literally just the kindergarten hand turkey with higher production values
I rather like the symbol. It embodies the concept, whether you agree with it or not.

what the fuck is up with all the associations with hugging/warm embraces/arms + hands? this is a campaign thats supposed to be about human rights, not affection

they have nothing to do w/ eachother, i literally have not hugged or been hugged this caelndar year (2011) and i still know the value of human rights and the struggle for them
physical intimacy encourages empathy, empathy encourages solidarity,kissing nad hugging makes people care for each other and makes the world a better place.
its fundamentally flawed to make a human rights campaign about that kind of stuff, though, mutual admiration & affection. human rights fundamentally needs to be just as much about defending groups or persons that are unhuggable/unpleasant that you can't tolerate

basing important structures or movements on love, care, and other fleeting contingencies is building on a rotting foundation. i don't agree with what you say but i will die defending your right to say it etc etc
the vast majority of people are more easily motivated through emotional cues than through rationalization and intelligent arguments.

the unhuggables deserve to be hugged as well.

SomeIsraeliFuck posted:
the vast majority of people are more easily motivated through emotional cues than through rationalization and intelligent arguments.

the unhuggables deserve to be hugged as well.

of course, but its not the sort of thing i think holds up without some bit of intellect to support it, you know? its like how the constitutional prohibitions against the government torturing all people everywhere forever (an intellectual idea about fundamental dignity, etc.) turned into "these things are bonuses for american citizens" after 9/11

the unhuggables desereve to be hugged is a nice sentiment, but too bleeding heart to ever be that widely accepted with most people, you know? a fundamental essential part of rights talk, to me, needs to be the stiff upper lip that keeps you from grimacing when you turn 10 guilty criminals loose to free the one innocent man

the use of the hugging (care/affection) and the dove (peace over war) are too contingent for my tastes. i do like the shield, which is like protection and defense in the face of adversity, and the idea of the "human shield," which, when used in a voluntary context, is like self-sacrifice with a bit of militancy

basically, i think you can do the "emotional cues" while still being serious with the symbols and not cutesy-wutesy about a real issue, you know? hugging/affection is more appropriate for an organization dealing with healing the ravages of child abuse that really can be addressed top-down paternalistically

well then, i guess you should've submitted your own proposal for humanrightslogo.org?

ilmdge posted:

a serb drawing a human rights logo on a face forever

jettojagga posted:
the best logo would be a gun pointed at an oppressor's face

or the human shield

i can't believe noone opted for a stylised goatse, both ironically and unironically

seriouspost though you can tell which entries were submitted by people who can only conceive of their design being stuck as a decal on somebody's car, rather than scrawled in chalk on the side of a bombed-out field hospital

e: i really like the human shield one tho