https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/23/opinion/international-world/centrists-democracy.html

The warning signs are flashing red: Democracy is under threat. Across Europe and North America, candidates are more authoritarian, party systems are more volatile, and citizens are more hostile to the norms and institutions of liberal democracy.

These trends have prompted a major debate between those who view political discontent as economic, cultural or generational in origin. But all of these explanations share one basic assumption: The threat is coming from the political extremes.

On the right, ethno-nationalists and libertarians are accused of supporting fascist politics; on the left, campus radicals and the so-called antifa movement are accused of betraying liberal principles. Across the board, the assumption is that radical views go hand in hand with support for authoritarianism, while moderation suggests a more committed approach to the democratic process.

Is it true?

Maybe not. My research suggests that across Europe and North America, centrists are the least supportive of democracy, the least committed to its institutions and the most supportive of authoritarianism.

Some of the most striking data reflect respondents’ views of elections. Support for “free and fair” elections drops at the center for every single country in the sample. The size of the centrist gap is striking. In the case of the United States, fewer than half of people in the political center view elections as essential.
[account deactivated]
damn germany, learn your lesson already

[account deactivated]
yeah this really isn't as surprising as people are acting. who are the people who keep warning us about "populism?" centrists. who are the people who want the party apparatus to remove Corbyn despite his popularity? centrists. who supported every war the US has been in since the 80s? centrists. who wrote all the articles arguing that high-level criminals and torturers should not be punished? who wrote all those weeppieces declaiming democracy itself, implicitly and explicitly, when trump won the primaries and then the election? and more than anything, who worships those in power? who leghumps Macron? who makes memes about the Obama/Trudeau bromance? who says that we just don't understand that those in power are on our side, are qualified, smart and decent and criticizing them merely helps the Enemy? why wouldn't these people be opposed to democracy?

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

Not bothering with a legislature as a Strong Leader is Fairly Fucking Good
every liberal who says they value education secretly suspects that better education can only lead to more liberals, demonstrating i think the degree to which they are just totally prepared to hand over the political reigns to google or whoever and give up the whole charade altogether

they were quite open in calling for formal disenfranchisement along these lines after the election of bush and trump. in fact from my facebook i get the sense that trump himself is less an adversary for these types than the people who voted for him, and who therefore ought to be disqualified from voting in the future. sure, you'll see lots of complaining about the man himself but the fangs really come out when it comes to his supporters. like for example theres a whole genre of feel-good puff piece that emerged after the election revolving around stories like "white trash trump voter hit with medical bankruptcy" and other occasions for smug misanthropic schadenfreude, which one could accept from someone who realizes stalin is cool but, obviously, amounts to an immensely hypocritical posture from the sort of person that pretends to give a shit about healthcare and so on. all the old horror stories about the company boss bitchslapping employees who voted democrat exist now as crowdsourced twitter blacklisting campaigns and again, its not easy to give a shit in such cases except to the extent that it tells you something about like, who is really the scrappy opposition movement here

in my head a lot of this stuff traces back to a style of analysis kicked off by whats the matter with kansas--not the book, which i havent read, just the question: why can middle america be persuaded by appeals to things like values, desires, ambitions, or vision as opposed to qualifications, experience, pedigree, or other features of mercenary technocrats? put another way: why do they vote against their "interests"? a question anyone not consumed by total cynicism can see is wrongheaded. cue the "but why do they hate us???" blubbering. it makes sense to characterize this as anti-democratic but its also just anti political, the primary feature of technocracy, like its just unbearably tacky to want things. one should rather admire the qualities of individual elites and select the most faithful steward of the capitalist system in every instance. that seemed to be very much the character of the hillary vs. trump debates among those who actually cared

its no surprise, then, that the default mode of armchair political analysis for liberals today centers around how masterfully putin duped the unwashed masses. they're all prepared to believe that democracy is just amoral information warfare, any resentment towards their terrible leaders is just a pathological contempt for reality and science, which are liberal, and the primary task for their movement is just to patiently explain elite consensus to everyone who will listen (i don't think noted buffoon sam harris would take any issue with their view, incidentally, which kind of tells you just how reactionary "centrism" has gotten). theres nothing democratic about this, obviously, and its supremely exasperating today to hear the old line about liberals are the real fascists and have to kind of pause and go "hmm." that all this is now framed as concern for the health and integrity of american democracy is completely nauseating and i pray every night that a movie star or someone will say so because i have no way of getting through on my own

kamelred posted:

theres a whole genre of feel-good puff piece that emerged after the election revolving around stories like "white trash trump voter hit with medical bankruptcy"

this is a natural outgrowth of the “let them secede” joke about the U.S. South, where the liberals who make it will turn deadly serious about it if you press them on it:

“why?”

“because they’re racist bigots who voted for Trump!”

“oh even the black people, Hispanic people and so on? They’re Southerners too right, it’s pretty racist to act like they don’t ‘count’, what happens to them after that?”

and right around then at least 50% of Democrat-style liberals will propose all by themselves that the federal government should resettle non-whites in other regions before allowing a white supremacist state to take over the South, in other words, they go from “joking around” to proposing ethnic cleansing within their own country in about 60 seconds

but fwiw I don’t think that style of liberal believes at all anymore that if they patiently explain things and people are educated enough to understand, then they’ll “win”.

the Putin thing goes deeper than that: for most liberals pushing it, it’s a semi-conscious lie, a propaganda line they’re touting because they think it’s believable (and they’re also trying to convince themselves).

They clearly don’t really believe that the U.S. is now a puppet state of Russia, not only because that’s absurd given the military and economic power difference between the two, but because if they did believe that, they would probably treat it with more seriousness than they did “Donald Drumph”

and they don’t, it’s just an election sales pitch for their party, they think they’re brainwashing some wedge of those poor xenophobic idiot plebes into hating Republicans and figure that’s the only way they’ll beat them
thats a good point and actually its a bit astounding how transparent they are about the russia ploy. very often in conversations with friends and relatives i'll hear something along the lines of: "well im reserving judgment on the more wild stuff but its good that this story (dangerous lie) is hobbling the trump admin and after all thats how we got nixon". so in other words, the big problem with democracy is that it sometimes actually works the way we say it does--this is called populism--and in those cases it demands a cynical and legalistic intervention. not that hard to see why this version of democracy is so prized among an increasingly insular and technocratic bloc of the "left"

it was uh, late when i wrote that post and after reading the article i realize they are talking about something else entirely than what i was going on about BUT the other post i wanted to make was about how i dont trust this kind of polling to not make really basic category errors regarding what counts as "centrist" and also that you know going in that they're going to apply zero scrutiny to the concepts like democratic values, liberal institutions, and the ever-fraught "authoritarianism" and "populism". so when someone is saying "you know, the european left really very highly approves of this system where everyone makes a big show of having a debate and hashing out the issues and then disregarding all of that and doing what capital says", the obvious reply is "no shit". i don't know who the centrists are, here. are they radical centrists? okay thats liberals. swing voters? the deepest reactionaries, always. ambivalent parasites who get theirs either way? i mean i can't tell who the president is just by going outside. the value of this kind of story, to me anyway, is a big time mainstream institution coming out and admitting that our conventional political discourse makes no fucking sense at allllllllllllll

i assume thats all understood here but theres already a couple of topics in which this sort of critique is better suited, so my bad for doing the mcdonalds drive thru thing

Edited by kamelred ()

If the russia thing actually works i will gladly eat my hat in hindsight. Until then, I'm not down with the brilliant election strategy "the only way to beat dumb conspiracy theorists is to have a dumber conspiracy theory".

edit: I'm not an accelerationist so I'd rather have an obviously corrupt corporate power democratic regime in power, illustrating the necessity of an actual left party, than this pile of smug labor-fighting shit we have right now.

Edited by winebaby ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
let’s never mention that guy

kamelred posted:

every liberal who says they value education secretly suspects that better education can only lead to more liberals, demonstrating i think the degree to which they are just totally prepared to hand over the political reigns to google or whoever and give up the whole charade altogether

they were quite open in calling for formal disenfranchisement along these lines after the election of bush and trump. in fact from my facebook i get the sense that trump himself is less an adversary for these types than the people who voted for him, and who therefore ought to be disqualified from voting in the future. sure, you'll see lots of complaining about the man himself but the fangs really come out when it comes to his supporters. like for example theres a whole genre of feel-good puff piece that emerged after the election revolving around stories like "white trash trump voter hit with medical bankruptcy" and other occasions for smug misanthropic schadenfreude, which one could accept from someone who realizes stalin is cool but, obviously, amounts to an immensely hypocritical posture from the sort of person that pretends to give a shit about healthcare and so on. all the old horror stories about the company boss bitchslapping employees who voted democrat exist now as crowdsourced twitter blacklisting campaigns and again, its not easy to give a shit in such cases except to the extent that it tells you something about like, who is really the scrappy opposition movement here

in my head a lot of this stuff traces back to a style of analysis kicked off by whats the matter with kansas--not the book, which i havent read, just the question: why can middle america be persuaded by appeals to things like values, desires, ambitions, or vision as opposed to qualifications, experience, pedigree, or other features of mercenary technocrats? put another way: why do they vote against their "interests"? a question anyone not consumed by total cynicism can see is wrongheaded. cue the "but why do they hate us???" blubbering. it makes sense to characterize this as anti-democratic but its also just anti political, the primary feature of technocracy, like its just unbearably tacky to want things. one should rather admire the qualities of individual elites and select the most faithful steward of the capitalist system in every instance. that seemed to be very much the character of the hillary vs. trump debates among those who actually cared

its no surprise, then, that the default mode of armchair political analysis for liberals today centers around how masterfully putin duped the unwashed masses. they're all prepared to believe that democracy is just amoral information warfare, any resentment towards their terrible leaders is just a pathological contempt for reality and science, which are liberal, and the primary task for their movement is just to patiently explain elite consensus to everyone who will listen (i don't think noted buffoon sam harris would take any issue with their view, incidentally, which kind of tells you just how reactionary "centrism" has gotten). theres nothing democratic about this, obviously, and its supremely exasperating today to hear the old line about liberals are the real fascists and have to kind of pause and go "hmm." that all this is now framed as concern for the health and integrity of american democracy is completely nauseating and i pray every night that a movie star or someone will say so because i have no way of getting through on my own

i agree with this with the slight quibble that what's the matter with kansas isn't as bad as its reputation. it's been 10 years since i read it and i'm sure i'd hate it more now but the central conceit is that they're claiming to be against the elites while voting to cut their taxes, ie that poorer republicans are being manipulated to vote against their class interests by reference to shit that's mostly irrelevant to their lives like opposing gay marriage, which i still think is broadly true. plus the author recently wrote Listen, Liberal which is one of the better normie-left critiques of the democrats' abandonment of the working class in a long time

winebaby posted:

If the russia thing actually works i will gladly eat my hat in hindsight. Until then, I'm not down with the brilliant election strategy "the only way to beat dumb conspiracy theorists is to have a dumber conspiracy theory".

they're going to spend the whole 2020 campaign whining about russia and then will be really confused as to why trump got reelected

cars posted:

but fwiw I don’t think that style of liberal believes at all anymore that if they patiently explain things and people are educated enough to understand, then they’ll “win”.

the Putin thing goes deeper than that: for most liberals pushing it, it’s a semi-conscious lie, a propaganda line they’re touting because they think it’s believable (and they’re also trying to convince themselves).

They clearly don’t really believe that the U.S. is now a puppet state of Russia, not only because that’s absurd given the military and economic power difference between the two, but because if they did believe that, they would probably treat it with more seriousness than they did “Donald Drumph”

and they don’t, it’s just an election sales pitch for their party, they think they’re brainwashing some wedge of those poor xenophobic idiot plebes into hating Republicans and figure that’s the only way they’ll beat them

yeah this is also true and you can see it in the tension between "Droland Drumph is a fascist enemy agent" and "it's unfair to be mean to the lady who lies for him professionally" and "it's fine for democrats in congress to support his nominees and vote to not restrict his surveillance powers"

cars posted:

the murder of tpaine was a moral atrocity and i will not countenance any other opinion

cars posted:

yep, and the fact that they would use something so potentially ruinous to international relations is telling. i get the feeling they were extremely upset that this clown on the other team could win while saying blasphemous things about rebuilding a good relationship with russia, etc

[account deactivated]

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

cars posted:

the murder of tpaine was a moral atrocity and i will not countenance any other opinion

first off, toyotathon edited their post to be about tpaine instead of the guy i meant, whose name i will not mention, which was the correct choice, and second, it was suicide.

[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

Trump Furious After Nobel Committee Gives Him Participation Trophy

N.F.L. Adds First Amendment to List of Banned Substances

Public Demands Investigation of Why F.B.I. Infiltrators in Trump Campaign Failed to Prevent Him from Being Elected

Trump Orders Replica Nobel Peace Prize to Display on His Desk

Trump Considering Pulling U.S. Out of Constitution

Trump Removes Giuliani from Legal Team by Naming Him New White House Doctor

My Name Is Andy Borowitz And I Molested An Entire Little League Team

Mueller Reportedly Considering Appropriate Thank-You Gift for Giuliani

Trump Deletes Nine Tweets While Attempting to Spell “Subpoena”

Americans Startled by Spectacle of President Who Can Speak English

I Got Away With It

Mueller Says That Until Yesterday He Had Almost Forgotten to Investigate Giuliani

Trump Hires Only Lawyer in U.S. with Fewer Clients Than Michael Cohen

Amazon Apologizes for Shipping Ten Thousand Copies of Comey’s Book to White House

Trump Sends National Guard to His Accountant’s Office

Fox News Says It Will Decide Trump’s Syria Response in Next Forty-Eight Hours

My Favorite Boy Was Jimmy, Because Jimmy Struggled

Vladimir Putin Concedes Defeat in Pennsylvania Special Election

House Republicans Say Japanese Did Not Meddle in Pearl Harbor

Trump Wonders Who Will Read Classified Documents Aloud to Him Now That Jared’s Gone

Kim Jong Un Taunts Trump with Photo of Hair Withstanding Gale-Force Wind

Military Refuses to Participate in Trump’s Parade, Citing Bone Spurs

I Want You Again Jimmy And I'm Invincible Now

Former Hippies Put in Horrible Position of Rooting for F.B.I.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Proofreads State of the Union One Last Time to Remove Any Remaining Facts

why would you do this to us

[account deactivated]
That dude has an upside down white moustache for a mouth
[account deactivated]
i laughed, a bitter bleak laugh
the seventh seal has been opened
reading a person blaming ICE on people voting for jill stein and wondering why people were surprised that centrists hate democracy
not remotely surprised by this, nor should anyone else be. in the uk atm the remainers are doing everybody's head in because while claiming they're these paragons of lib virtue and martyrs for the cause of pluralism, they also want to disregard the brexit result entirely/keep having it until they win, and go back to the low level ambient pain that only affected the poors and the underqualified.
N00b Statesman asked Francis Fukuyama what he thought about socialism. He said socialism sucks, but he misses mid-20th-c. social democracy in a vague way, and because it's his job to make banal gnomic observations he's also decided Marx was right about crises of overproduction and the reserve army of labor. He said again that socialism is bad & fake and the real problem was the coming Sino-American War, "like Fallout but before Bethesda... [f]ucked... the entire lore, the whole fucking canon," then climbed on his giant Rumpelstiltskin spoon cackling and flew back to Troll Town.

Here's the headline they gave it at the National Socialistman (Amerika-Volkssturm):

*sensuous Fred Thompson in Die Hard 2 voice* Stack em pack em and rack em