out of respect for swampman, who cannot defend his gymrat thread from the siren song of food chat, let this be the place to discuss your esoteric vegan diet and/or how many kilos of steak you shovel into your maw on the daily.

tonight i'm making turkish delight for a party tomorrow. candy making is really stressful, especially with our electric stove that is the devil. it has "smart" burners that turn themselves up and down even at the highest setting to "regulate even temperature" but what this actually means is that when you're watching your candy thermometer for that slow climb from 225 to 240 degrees it will jump and swerve and fall and generally fuck with you. i hate it i hate it i hate it.

turkish delight is heavenly though. rosewater is the best candy flavour. it won't be ready until tomorrow (has to set overnight) so have this stock image and just trust that my finished product will be equally presentable

[account deactivated]
I make a really good vegan borscht that i immediately turn non-vegan upon serving because Sour Cream. Lately i've been cooking a lot with mirepoix with ghee and slow cooking a bunch of root vegetables makes for a delicious meal if you pair it with some rice or something.

My favorite thing lately has been something my Colombian roommate told me about which is flattened fried plantains with thin slices of meat in between two of them kind of like a Cuban but thinner. Plantains are awesome tho they're one of the cheapest things in the produce section, super easy to cook and very filling.
borscht is great as a veggie dish. soups in general are great. i've been a big fan of home made hot & sour soup lately, it makes for a great vegetarian dish but you gotta have them eggs. my vegan friends tolerate it because i get them from pampered family pet chickens (not mine, thank god) and it is kind of insane to object to that imho
Can either of you post the recipe for the borscht, if it's economical enough I feel like that's basically what I should be eating all winter, I don't mind eating the same stuff I'm just too lazy to prepare it.
Here you go. Credits go to my mom, for modifying my grandma's heavy beef-based recipe and for writing these words. The holy grail of vegan soups. Better than holy water. I usually nix the beans unless I'm going to be outside all day and fart a lot, and sub the vinegar for lemon, either one works and isn't for taste as much as it is to keep the color. Enjoy, comrades.

Fill the 2/3 of saucepan with water and boil. Before, remove the peel from (1 big or 2 small) beets, carrot, 1 stick of celery. Carrot and celery cut onto small peaces, take 2-3 bay leaves and dry mushrooms. When water get boil put everything in water and cook until beets became soft (check by knife). Remove beets from saucepan and put in cold water to cool. When you cook beets, prepare potato and cabbage. Potato clean and cut to small peaces, head of cabbage cut into 2 halves and cut into long strings... put in boiling water. When cabbage and potato became soft put salt, ground paper and spices. Open can of sliced tomatoes and can of beans (not green beans) - put in borsh. Now take beets and grind on medium grinder. Put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in borsh and in 5 min put grounded beets, mix and cook about 15-20 min. At this time cut 1 onion , some parsley, dill and 2 cloves of garlic into small peaces. Take a small pan put a little of vegetable oil and fry onion until it became soft and lightly brown, put it in your borsh. Cook 10 min. After this put dill, parsley and garlic. Close the lid and turn off oven. Wait 1 hour.
Your borsh ready. Eat with 1 tbs of sour cream and fresh garlic.

You need:

1/2 half head of cabbage
1big or 2 small beets
1 middle size of carrot
1 stick of celery
Dry mushrooms
4-5 middle size of potato
1 can of sliced tomatoes
1 can of beans (not green)
1 onion
parsley, dill, 2 cloves of garlic
1 tbs of white vinegar
vegetable oil

Edited by parabolart ()

Looks dope I'm going to try that. When you top it with garlic , is that supposed to be raw garlic minced and sprinkled in?
that's a good borscht. here's how it goes in my family.

cookware: 1 medium-large saucepan, 1 big stock pot, 1 frying pan

1/2 head cabbage (red is best)
2-5 beets depending on size, optionally keep & set aside the beet greens if available
optional swiss chard substitute for optional beet greens
1-2 stalks celery and/or fennel (if using fennel set aside the fronds)
1 medium onion
4 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots
3 medium potatoes
1 ripe tomato
2-3 tbs vinegar, red wine vinegar is best but regular white vinegar is fine
3 bay leaves
1 star anise if you wanna get fancy

scrub beets & potatoes thoroughly but do not peel, cut off top and root end of beets. put the beets in the sauce pan and add enough water to cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 20 minutes. while the beets are coming to a boil and simmering, prep your other veggies: dice onion finely, slice celery/fennel, mince garlic, shred cabbage, cube potatoes, slice carrots and tomato.

prep order is onions-garlic-celery > cabbage and potatoes > carrots > tomato.

once the 20 mins are up, remove the beets with a fork or metal strainer and rinse in cold water so that they are safe to handle by hand. keep that beet water! you should now be able to pull away the beet skins trivially with just your fingers and can then cube them (some beet varieties don't take well to this method of peeling. RIP.) in your stock pot begin frying onion, celery/fennel and garlic with about a tablespoon of oil or butter/margarine of your choice. meat eaters can use a few pieces of bacon fat instead. once slightly browned, pour in the beet water and add the rest of your vegetables, the bay leaves and star anise. if all your veggies aren't ready yet that's fine, they can go in when ready following the order above. supplement your beet water with more than enough water to cover. water amount is a to taste sort of thing, we like our borscht pretty thick but you might prefer yours to actually resemble soup. bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and cabbage are both soft. if using, slice your beet greens or chard into strips and stir them in. add the vinegar, salt & pepper to taste. as soon as the greens go limp (almost immediately) you are ready to serve

dill and sour cream are the classic fixins to use to taste once you've served up, but also consider yogurt, a wedge of lemon, or fennel fronds (almost visually identical to fresh dill weed/fronds, you can use both but don't get them mixed up!)

e: if you're not comfortable frying stuff up right in the bottom of your stock pot, fry your onions/garlic/celery in a frying pan, add the results to your stock pot and then deglaze the pan with some of the beet water and pour that yummy deglazing juice into your stock.

Edited by shriekingviolet ()

[account deactivated]

Belphegor posted:

Looks dope I'm going to try that. When you top it with garlic , is that supposed to be raw garlic minced and sprinkled in?

Yeah raw garlic sliced usually works. The key is to let the borsch sit for a while after you put in the garlic and the seasoning and just kinda soak, D-Day +1 borsch is the best

the best foods are the ones that taste best on the second day
HUMORAL POWERS OF DIFFERENT KINDS OF MEAT,
AND WHAT BENEFITS AND HARMS THE BODY
Meat is the most powerful of all foods. It nourishes and fortifies the
body. However, those who have it in excess will be prone to bouts
of satiety (imtil§a ) and need to be relieved by having frequent bloodletting
(faßd). Especially so if they are addicted to wine as well.
Meat of aged animals and embryos extracted from animals’ wombs
are bad. They have no benefits. The more tender and moist the
animal is, the better its meat is. The older the animal is, the dryer
its meat becomes, and the more heat it generates. Therefore, it is
not recommended for people suffering from fever or satiety (imtil§a ).
Red meat is more nourishing than fat meat. It strengthens the
stomach more than fat meat does. Tough meat is more suited for
people who perform hard physical activities,1 whereas tender meat
is (17r) for the opposite .2
Kid’s meat (laÈm al-jedÊ):
It is balanced in properties (mubtadil) and perfect in every respect.3 It
generates balanced blood. However, it is not suitable for people who
perform hard physical activities. As for those who lead sedentary lives,
they should choose no other meat because it is not so weak as to cause
the body to lose its strength. Neither is it too nourishing or too coarse
as to cause satiety or generate dense blood. What it actually generates
is a happy medium between thin and dense blood.
1 LaÈm ÿ9alÊí (meat high in density) such as beef.
2 LaÈm laãÊf (meat low in density) such as kid’s meat.
3 I amend here بري من كل دم (free of any blood) to بري من كل ذم (faultless,
perfect) based on context. It is easy to mistake one for the other because the dots
were not always applied to the letters.
humoral powers of different kinds of meat 103
Lamb (laÈm al-Èamal):
Compared with kid’s meat, it is tougher, stronger, hotter, and produces
more excretions. It is next in excellence to kid’s meat.
Goat meat (laÈm al-m§biz):
Compared with mutton ('§n), it is colder and produces less excretions.
With regard to humoral power, it is weaker and less nourishing.
Therefore, it is not recommended for people with cold temperaments
or those prone to cold-related diseases. Such people should eat mutton,
instead. Goat meat is more suitable for people with hot temperaments,
and those prone to heat-related diseases.
Beef (laÈm al-baqar):
It is coarse and nourishing but generates foul-smelling (muntin) dense
blood.4 Therefore, it is only suitable for people who are physically
active. People susceptible to illnesses related to black bile should
avoid it.
Horse meat (laÈm al-faras):
It is coarse and usually generates dense blood which will eventually
deteriorate to black bile.
Camel meat (laÈm al-jazår):
It is extremely hot and generates dense blood.
The three kinds of meat are only
good for people who are physically active. At any rate, of the three
beef is the best.
Antelope meat (laÈm al-íib§):
It is the best of game meat and the blood it generates (17v) has little
excretions. It is dry and leans more towards black bile.
Ibex meat (laÈm al-tiyås al-jabaliyya):
It is tougher and closer to black bile . In this respect,
it is similar to meat of stag (ayyal) and wild ass (Èim§r al-waÈê9).
Besides, it is considerably hot. Generally, all kinds of game meat
produce blood high in black bile (damm sawd§wÊ), especially meat of
rabbits (ar§nib), which generates black bile (sawd§a ).
4 I here fill in a missing line from Istanbul MS (fol. 26v).
104 chapter 8
Namaksåd (cured meat):5
It is putrefying (mubaffin). Compared with other meats, it is less humid
and hotter. It spoils the blood.
Poultry (laÈm al-ãayr):
Meat of grouse (laÈm al-ãayhåj) is the lightest. It is the best for those
who need to eat rarefying foods.6 Francolin (durr§j) is similar to
grouse. It produces little excretions and does not generate much
heat. Pullets (far§rÊj) are similar to them in this respect. Pheasants
(tadruj) are similar to chicken (daj§j), which is higher in density (aÿ9laí).
It generates good blood and increases semen. Meat of partridge
(qabaj) is higher in density than all the above. It constipates and is
remarkably nourishing. Meat of larks (qan§bir) helps control diarrhea.
Meat of sparrows (baߧfÊr) is hot and highly aphrodisiac. Meat
of young domesticated fowl (fir§Õ9) has similar sexually stimulating
effects. It is extremely hot and thereby generates the kind of blood
that launches the body into fevers.
Duck meat (laÈm al-buãã) produces more excretions than any other
bird meat and is the least digestible. It is less nourishing than chicken.
Meat of sand grouse (qaã§) and all mountain birds (ãuyår jaba liyya) is
the hottest. It tends to generate blood. Generally, wild birds with
odorous meat should never be eaten. The same rule applies to aquatic
birds (ãayr al-m§a).
Meat of ostrich (nib§ma) is extremely moist and slow to digest. The
gizzards are less dense than the meat itself and more beneficial. (18r)
The meat, nonetheless, tastes wonderful in har§yis (porridges). Satiety
due to having too much of this meat may cause serious ailments from
which the sick person may never recover. A delicious way for using
this meat is to cook it fijliyya (radish stew) with lots of cheese.
Meat of crane (kurkÊ) is extremely tough (ba'il). It tastes good only
if you let blood coagulate in the blood vessels themselves and pull
them out. The best part of the crane is its gizzard.
The cranes have an amazing trait known in no other animals
except the mountain goats (wabl). They take care of their parents
when they grow old.
5 For details on this meat, see Glossary, 11.1.
6 Foods that help lower density of excretions (mulaããifa).
humoral powers of different kinds of meat 105
The poet MaÈmåd bin al-0asan once reproached his undutiful
son saying:7
To me you should be like a crane, as I am to you like a bat.8
If kindness you do not offer when I need it, how would you hope the
bridge to cross?9
7 Known as Kuê9§jim (d. c. 961). See Appendix. These verses can be found
in al-Qalqaê9andÊ’s -ubÈ al-Abê9§, 211; and al-DumayrÊ 0ay§t al-0ayaw§n al-Kubr§
(http://www.alwaraq.net) 6290. The first line occurs as إتخذ فيّ خَلّة الكراكي
. أتخذ فيك خلة الوطواط
8 Although bats in Arabic lore are notorious for being weaklings and cowards,
as parents they are admirably kind to their small ones. They carry them wherever
they fly, and the mother even breastfeeds them while flying (al-Qalqaê9andÊ 227).
9 The reference here is to the sir§ã, the hazardous bridge set across hell. The
true believers have to cross it in order to get to their destination, Paradise.

they turned out!! may a thousand candies bloom (in my mouth)
[account deactivated]
did you just cube some raw chicken and sprinkle powdered sugar on it
[account deactivated]
Trying out new recipes. This one says to add dry red pepper flakes to a dry pan. Well, they're the experts *ten seconds pass* OH GOD THE COPS HAVE DEPLOYED TEAR GAS, HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Trying out new recipes. This one says to add dry red pepper flakes to a dry pan. Well, they're the experts *ten seconds pass* OH GOD THE COPS HAVE DEPLOYED TEAR GAS, HASTA LA VICTORIA SIEMPRE

i've done this. toasting spices just right is amazing but with hot peppers it's such a hair thin line between pleasant and Ypres II that i just don't bother anymore

TG posted:

did you just cube some raw chicken and sprinkle powdered sugar on it

the texture and taste turned out fine but they are a little bit too wet, so the photogenic powdered sugar coating just slowly turns to slime ._. i'm gonna ask my dessert expert friend if there's some kind of fix.

shriekingviolet posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i've done this. toasting spices just right is amazing but with hot peppers it's such a hair thin line between pleasant and Ypres II that i just don't bother anymore

burning chili pepper smoke in the eyes, approved aztec punishment for kids who are too young to be cut disciplinarily.
(if you wanna do a big batch just put them in the crock pot w/o water until they reach desired doneness, unless yr beef is just chili smoke in general and not burning, in which case sorry homie)

palafox posted:

burning chili pepper smoke in the eyes, approved aztec punishment for kids who are too young to be cut disciplinarily.
(if you wanna do a big batch just put them in the crock pot w/o water until they reach desired doneness, unless yr beef is just chili smoke in general and not burning, in which case sorry homie)

Lamb (laÈm al-Èamal):
Compared with kid’s meat, it is tougher, stronger, hotter, and produces
more excretions. It is next in excellence to kid’s meat.

If i'm roasting peppers I'll wrap them in foil and bake them a while. usually with good tasting things like lemon rind

[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

made this last night/yesterday to keep the place warm: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sauce-recipe.html

the recipe itself is versatile. veggies of unknown origin in the crisper going bad? toss em in. fresh herbs? toss em in! careful with the spice level, every last molecule of capsacin will get extracted and 'sauced from red pepper flakes or whatever. also, since it cooks down so much, only salt it, by taste, at the very end.

i made something very similar to this on sunday, using my mom's recipe, which is her variation on my grandma's recipe. i remember sundays growing up when my mom would make a huge pot over something like 6 hours. i didnt have fresh basil, though, which made me quite sad. it was still pretty good. its pretty nice having a ton of sauce in the fridge/freezer

it never occurred to me to bake it in the oven. i will have to try this some time

red sauce with hammer and sickle pasta (fresh)
[account deactivated]
drink it
you can also ferment fruits & veggies in it, or use it for stock
last night i ate a big salad, it was tuna fish, black beans, spinach, and steamed cubes of beet and sweet potato. no other ingredients. recommend
ate some water, a healthy and low calorie snack, tastes great too
i often eat big salads for dinner but I ruin the healthiness by adding croutons and slathering then in dressing. newmans own, of course, so the profits go to charity of some sort. love that liberal slacktivism
just ordered some pizza.
Heck yeah. Love a slice of 'zza.
Tonight's salad: i diced and steamed beets, yellow pepper, yellow squash, broccoli, mushrooms, and tossed them with tuna salad and chooped up pickle. This salad looks fucking nauseating, even tho tasting great. Keep checking this thread for my posts
cooked up a bowl breakfast cereal
I make a borsh comrades
Fucking chumps cooking food, when you could be eating medical food like me.
peel and cut up carrits, red onions, white onions (half cut big, half cut small), Sweet po tatoes, tomatoes and whatever vegetables u woud like to use up - today it was an old leek i found in the fridge & some celery.

Heat a wide saucepan on the hob and add a load of oil (not too much), put in the big bits of onion and fry for a bit, then add the carrits and sweet pot atoes and fry some more. Put in cumin seeds, corriander seeds, fenel seeds and one cardomom pod but take the shell off first, and also a couple of teaspoons of cumin and corriander powder and a teaspoon of turmeric, and the finely cut onion, put it on a low heat until the spices start to go sticky, add a little bit of water and make sure all the veg is coated in the spice slurry. Add the tomartoes until they turm to squish, mix it all up add some water till it looks right then put the lid on and simmer for an hour. top up the water as required.

After an hour add lots of oil till it looks far roo oily and a big scoop of ground almonds and a huge scoop of Mr Vikkis hell hot habanero pickle till it looks good put the lid back and simmer on for another hour. top up water as required. after the second hour, stir in some garam masala and simmer with the lid off until its the right consistency, add as much double cream as you think you can stomach, heat it through then serve with turmeric rice and nans from the shop

eat your sweet potat oe curry with beer and pray for god to take your hangover away
dutch people love deep frying so much there's entire sections of stuff in the supermarket labelled like "you can deep fry this"

naturally i've gained 20kg this year