http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/aug/21/jonathan-franzen-considered-adopting-iraqi-orphan-young-people?CMP=share_btn_tw

In a setup that would not look out of place in fiction, Jonathan Franzen, the bestselling American novelist, has said he once considered adopting an Iraqi war orphan to help him understand young people better, but was persuaded against it by his editor.

Franzen said he was in his late 40s at the time with a thriving career and a good relationship but he felt angry with the younger generation. “Oh, it was insane, the idea that Kathy and I were going to adopt an Iraqi war orphan. The whole idea lasted maybe six weeks.”

He added: “One of the things that had put me in mind of adoption was a sense of alienation from the younger generation. They seemed politically not the way they should be as young people. I thought people were supposed to be idealistic and angry. And they seemed kind of cynical and not very angry. At least not in any way that was accessible to me.”

Instead, Henry Finder, his editor at the New Yorker, suggested he meet up with a group of new university graduates. “It cured me of my anger at young people,” Franzen said.

In a wide-ranging interview with Weekend magazine, the 56-year-old also said he believed he had been assigned the role of an anti-women villain by certain feminist critics, adding of the attacks he said he had been subjected to: “There is really nothing I can do except die – or, I suppose, retire and never write again.”

Bump. Let's keep pressure on Franzen to acquire foreign sprats and perhaps snatch xher soul from Satan's clasp
how would adopting an iraqi war orphan help you understand ironic new york hipsters
when my parents were cut apart by a humvee's 360 rotational fire, first i was like grumpy cat emoji, but then i was like, total fail ownage
to understand young people better i watched the Reddit kid vs 4chan kid video 5000 tyimes