A bunch of my friends and I got trashed at this girls house and one of my friends blacked out and kicked an arm rest off of a lounge chair. The girls mom looked at me and said "Look, he's like how you used to be."

Edited by walkinginonit ()

walkinginonit posted:

The girls mom

seattle

[account deactivated]
seattle is the worst ftp
[account deactivated]
where do you live again? i mean it doesn't really matter because i assume you're there voluntarily helping people build mud huts or whatever
i'll concede it does have pretty nice minimum wage related rallies but if you expect every person on the planet to compare their circumstances to starving third worlders all of the time you're pretty silly
actually comparing your first world problems to third world proiblems is the only reason to dytd in seattle
they knit on trees here, its called yarn bombing
yeah dude seattle is safe. i mean, if i lived by all that liberal shit it'd be annoying yeah, but way preferable to a dangerous city without any of the public services and amenities that come with a wealthy white city
I live on Long Island. Everything is so expensive here that alcohol is one of the few enjoyable things in my price range

camera_obscura posted:

i'll concede it does have pretty nice minimum wage related rallies but if you expect every person on the planet to compare their circumstances to starving third worlders all of the time you're pretty silly

you'd think so, if you didnt realize that the majority of the people in the world are third worlders

c_man posted:

camera_obscura posted:

you'd think so, if you didnt realize that the majority of the people in the world are third worlders

what of privileged first-worlders who choose to embark upon voyages of poverty tourism with the sincere belief that doing so makes them more authentic?

a reasonable belief imo
well okay i guess i mean who am i to judge
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

camera_obscura posted:

where do you live again? i mean it doesn't really matter because i assume you're there voluntarily helping people build mud huts or whatever

haha so funny you said so! so funny you said this! I live next to a refugee camp full of people who lost their mud huts so I better get to building!!

sorry i don't know your life story, famous lf poster discipline, if you'd like to get me up to speed about exactly where you are and what you are doing, i'll probably be able to come up with much more accurate criticisms of you and your life choices

[account deactivated]
I'm grateful about a lot of things but this is DYTD and gratitude is thematically inappropriate. I find your taking the moral high ground about this weird, though, since as far as I know you volunteered to be where you are with the full awareness that it could be dangerous. I could be wrong!
arent you the guy who's met hillary three times and hasnt even once been arrested by the secret service?
deleted for computer reasons
[account deactivated]
thanks Obama

discipline posted:

Are you currently incarcerated at SeaTac or something? I probably have as much choice to be here as you have to be where you are, though I'm sure other concerns went into making either of our choices for sure. What I'm asking you to consider is that you live in a pretty nice town and while your personal situation there might not be the best, and while for sure there's a lot of grungy shit in Seattle, and the weather kinda sucks, it isn't Afghanistan and you can go buy pretty much whatever you want at the store if you have enough money. And hey speaking of which you've even got the benefit of having a minimum wage of $15 per hour while where I live little Syrian children beg for change every time you step outside. you can go to a hospital and be treated by wonderful doctors and you have some sort of insurance policy I bet

I have a pretty nice life compared to what it sounds like you are going through right now. I'm sorry that you, as somebody with a sincere desire to improve the world, are enduring hardship and danger.

However, some things about Seattle disgust me. The consumption of commodities, the dismissive attitude toward the homeless, the tidal wave of gentrification destroying the entire city, the emptiness and limited nature of in-person interactions in a city ruled by netflix and okaycupid. Let a fella gripe! There are plenty of people who have it worse than you, too.

those things suck (i dont see whats wrong with consuming commodities tho, everything is a commodity, its not like you can choose not to) but i think the response that makes sense to react to them is more "organize the community" rather than carles-style "coffee shops are entartete kulture and girls wearing sun dresses are the deepest depths to which humanity has sunk" atomized reaction
yeah man if youre not feeling seattle just move to san francisco and then complain about gentrification and high rent like a normal white person, its what i did.

c_man posted:

those things suck (i dont see whats wrong with consuming commodities tho, everything is a commodity, its not like you can choose not to) but i think the response that makes sense to react to them is more "organize the community" rather than carles-style "coffee shops are entartete kulture and girls wearing sun dresses are the deepest depths to which humanity has sunk" atomized reaction

have you heard of this neat store called h&m? it's my fashion secret.

aerdil posted:

yeah man if youre not feeling seattle just move to san francisco and then complain about gentrification and high rent like a normal white person, its what i did.

what about.... PORTLAND?

[account deactivated]
can anyone point out a functional difference between one white people city and another. i say this all the time, and don't drink

camera_obscura posted:

the tidal wave of gentrification destroying the entire city,

good

Not like, washed away. More like, tidal wave of shit.