http://ofid.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/1/ofv004.full?sid=0327820f-ef52-45f2-9f25-fc79b3731e4d

Not pasting the text; Learn to read; "b-b-But fat people did it to themselves because they're weaker than me! I deserve these my gut bacteria!! Afh NOOOOoooo o o" -goatstein and conec
[account deactivated]
conec you are such a horrible person
if you want to make a fat person skinnier via fecal transplant you should really inject it in the front end
i didnt read the article until just now but i stand by my prior post.
i wonder if:

1. the ass bacteria from a slightly overweight 16 year old had either mind control powers or the ability to metabolize cosmic rays into calories
2. fat began to appear on this woman's body spontaneously as a result of some devious or malevolent curse or sorcery
3. this woman was always eating too much hot garbage and the constant diarrhea was both a result of this and the mechanism by which it didn't lead to weight gain, and once that was gone she began metabolizing the calories much more efficiently leading to obesity
4. as a result of her illness she had previously ate small portions with low fat content to mitigate the diarrhea but stopped after the procedure after discovering that a cheeseburger wouldn't make her anus explode like a vietnamese dam anymore
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

oh f8ck you swampman.. if you`re so down, why don`t you find yourself a nice 400 lb girl n settle down w her

I live in NYC, my friend, a city of stairways, where everyone is in excellent shape.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i wonder if:

1. the ass bacteria from a slightly overweight 16 year old had either mind control powers or the ability to metabolize cosmic rays into calories
2. fat began to appear on this woman's body spontaneously as a result of some devious or malevolent curse or sorcery
3. this woman was always eating too much hot garbage and the constant diarrhea was both a result of this and the mechanism by which it didn't lead to weight gain, and once that was gone she began metabolizing the calories much more efficiently leading to obesity
4. as a result of her illness she had previously ate small portions with low fat content to mitigate the diarrhea but stopped after the procedure after discovering that a cheeseburger wouldn't make her anus explode like a vietnamese dam anymore

I'm sure the doctors who treated her are wondering the same things, but didn't mention these factors in the abstract of their paper because it would make their research a terrible buzzkill to all the fatties who control the global wealth economies

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i wonder if:

I'm sure the doctors who treated her are wondering the same things, but didn't mention these factors in the abstract of their paper because it would make their research a terrible buzzkill to all the fatties who control the global wealth economies

maybe they are suppressing evidence because if she was gaining mass rapidly without large changes in her diet, exercise level or calorie absorption, they have stumbled across free energy in the butt bugs of that chubby teen and don't want word to get out before they patent it

how would it be free energy if the bacteria previously inhabiting the patient's gut were making it harder for her to get energy from the food she ate

daddyholes posted:

how would it be free energy if the bacteria previously inhabiting the patient's gut were making it harder for her to get energy from the food she ate

see #3

ok, something is very very very very very very very wrong here. i really have no idea what is going on, but this is not how energy works. how does the body maintain itself, let alone build non-water mass, without adequate energy? also keep in mind this woman was overweight (bmi = 26) in the beginning and her donor (who was also her daughter) was just a little more overweight (bmi = 26.4). only after the FMT did the daughter gain a great deal of weight (lifestyle change for the both of them perhaps?)

i would be extremely skeptical about this article. why is bmi used as a measurement, why not body fat composition? water retention could easily be the problem here, and yet we don't know because we have no indication of body fat. how monitored was this women during her "supervised" diet? someone could have easily been smuggling food in for her. the only way something like this would make sense is if the gut flora somehow increased appetite and caused her to eat more.

also what do microbiota have to do with macronutrient absorption? many of you have probably seen this picture before:

the mechanisms for digestion are either all enzymatic or mechanical. i mean, idk... if someone can give me a hint to what could possibly be going on past what im thinking about here, that would be great. right now, none of this makes sense.

(just to clarify, i checked and all the enzymes in that figure are produced by human genes.)

Edited by Peelzebub ()

they should just do a genetic analysis of the different species in her gut flora and compare it to the microbiota of a person with a regular bmi. this article is really just useless unless more stuff is done.

im legitimately interested in this, so if anyone else has something to add go for it
oh ok, this was written by an mbbs and an md. if i was a microbiologist i would pick up this sh1t (hehehe) immediately.

conec posted:

swampman posted:

conec posted:

oh f8ck you swampman.. if you`re so down, why don`t you find yourself a nice 400 lb girl n settle down w her

I live in NYC, my friend, a city of stairways, where everyone is in excellent shape.

'

"excellent shape".. implying 400 lb ppl don`t have excellent shapes. oh how the tables have turned

I don't think any 400lb person is at a healthy weight. but I also don't pretend that if someone is 400lb, it's because they chose to be that way. Unlike 2+ other posters whose exact thoughts I can predict with infuriating semantic precision.

oh, so this post is just about being fat. yeah, food can become an addiction and it is a great, widely accepted, and easily fulfilled addiction too. there is a noticeably sinister aspect to this addiction as well: you must eat, you can't just quite "cold turkey." this is just anecdotal, but noticeably overweight people i've seen in my life tend to be teetotalers. if you don't have a really bad vice in your life, it might as well be food.

sure, no one really chooses to be fat, but that doesn't mean they can't change their circumstances very, very easily. the pleasure of eating really takes the edge off of living in misery though, so i can't blame these people too much.
people make choices with their actions

gwarp posted:

oh, so this post is just about being fat.

Worse, it's about trolling two people who reflexively hate fat people, and now that I think about it, the retarded, and probably children with harelips

well, it is upsetting that obesity is not seen as resulting from an addiction to food and treated as such. men with a body fat percentage above ~21% and woman with a body fat percentage above ~28% should take steps to better themselves; if they don't, why would you give them any more sympathy than you would give any other addict?

being hateful at all of "fatties" is pretty weird though.

well, i'll also say this: education about food, nutrition, energy within food, etc. is probably what is keeping so many people overweight. there are huge masses of people that are just fed misinformation about all of this, including inaccurate measurements of the energy found within food. having a class in elementary school entitled "total energy = energy in - energy out" would solve the problem for many. though of course, this would mean some start eating less and others start making less money...

Edited by Peelzebub ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
that was probably a long time ago. i recently became really uncomfortable with shaming the fat. i have family who are fat so i feel bad. though i cant think of another thing to call an addiction but immoral.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

fat people skinny shame normal women all the time anyway. i personally have been the victim of bullying by fat ppl. "you don't have curves like a real woman." "you have the body of a 12 year old" "men prefer curves~!!!!!" lmao yea.. bullsh`t.

my sister gets this a lot, it's pretty stupid. it's not that she is too skinny, it's just that everyone else is too fat.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
swampman which of the following do you think is most likely true

1. her diet did not change after the procedure but the amount of calories absorbed increased once she no longer had constant diarrhea
2. her diet changed once she no longer had constant diarrhea but her calories absorbed did not
3. both her diet and digestive efficiency changed.
4. the procedure gave her the ability to metabolize energy from other sources than food calories, such as sunlight, radio waves, dimensional vibrations, phlogiston, or magic
5. thermodynamics is debunked

[account deactivated]
"waiter waiter there's clostridium difficile in my soup!" "keep your voice down sir, or everyone else will want some"